Air conditioners put back in by guests

Laura2327
Level 3
Hinesburg, VT

Air conditioners put back in by guests

I could use some advice, please! My husband painstakingly took out our 4 x bedroom window ac units last week because it’s now the fall here in Vermont and we were having temps in the 30s at night. We made sure each bedroom still had standing fans in the rooms and planned on keeping those available until October. 

Well, yesterday new guests arrived for a week and this morning we woke to find out that they put the ac units back in the windows! (My husband keeps them in the bedroom closets). Cheeky to say the least! They never called, texted or messaged about this. It was warmer last night - a one night fluke and then back to the 40s and low 50s for the next week - but still!!

We are not pleased. The possible injury, the lacking of regard, the zero communication.... the list goes on. I’d love some help. My husband wants to go up and talk to them and I want to let it go and give them a less than stellar review at the end. I’m sure there are better options! Help!

thanks and be well. 

24 Replies 24
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2327 I am with you except I would only mark down to say 4stars as the air conditioners were, I guess, available to use and I am sure (though haven't looked) that there is no rule saying they can't put them in the windows (however strange that behaviour is). Also I assume your listing states there is air conditioning - Perhaps you need to add dates when it is available....

Laura2327
Level 3
Hinesburg, VT

Adding dates sounds like a fabulous idea. The weather here is so crazy between seasons - in Spring it can be 70 one day and a foot of snow the next! Conversely, 70 degrees at night in the fall, followed by 30 degrees the next night. I don’t think anyone would be happy with the ac unit being in the window when it’s below freezing.... brrrrr! 

@Laura2327 Indeed I remember my daughters birthday in Connecticut. December 1st and 70 degrees. First (and last) time her party was outside

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laura2327 If an item is accessible to a guest, it's safe to say that some guest will at some point use it - no matter how foolish that may be, and I totally agree it seems like a dumb thing to do. If you didn't state that they couldn't use them and you left them available, I wouldn't give them a poor review: I would use it as a learning opportunity. I think it's tricky to set specific dates for the AC in your rules, given how variable the weather can be. I would move the air conditioners out of an accessible location when they're not in use, or if that's not practical,  add a sign on them telling the guest to ask for assistance if they would like them installed. 

Putting the units anywhere else would be quite treacherous. They are heavy and up on the third floor. The only place to put them is in the basement or the bedroom closets. But putting a sign on them is brilliant!! Thank you. I never would have thought this necessary! Live and learn! 
be well. 

@Laura2327 There's some truth to the old saying that if you make something idiot proof, they just go and make a better idiot. You try and think of all the possible contingencies, but once in a while, someone still sneaks by.

I got a barbeque for my flat this summer, and one of my recent guests was laughing about the rules and how detailed they are, but almost every one was prompted by something specific guests did with the barbecue at my cottage. Some people have zero common sense. People moving the barbecue so it's right against plastic siding? Check. Not turning off the gas? Check. Cooking something for 3 hours and leaving the barbecue  encrusted with fat and sugary sauce? Check and double check. You have to think like the least responsible person you can possibly imagine. 

So true!! Sorry about your bbq! 

@Alexandra316  "There's some truth to the old saying that if you make something idiot proof, they just go and make a better idiot." 

Never heard that gem, that's hilarious 🤣 I also have many detailed instructions placed everywhere in the house and cringe thinking some guests must think I'm a total control freak nut case or something. But alas they are very much needed for 'certain' guests, lol.

It’s such a balancing act between being welcoming and relaxed vs control freaky!

@Laura2327  " I never would have thought this necessary! Live and learn!"

Guest behavior can certainly be a thing to marvel at. It's a good idea to invest some time thinking of every kooky, inexplicable thing a person could do, and get ahead of it in some way 🙄. Saves headaches in the long run.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Laura2327  I had mentioned in another thread that by no means should guests undertake any "repairs" whatsoever. This is a great example of why. My goodness-- air conditioners are heavy! They could have been really hurt or done a lot of damage. 

So lesson learned for you (though a mind-boggling one)-- the AC should be stored somewhere that the guests can't access. I would buy a couple of nice box or oscillating fans for those transitional seasons. Maybe also look into a portable AC instead of window units. We have central air but our upstairs can get stuffy on a 90 degree day so we lucked out on a brand new portable unit at a pawn shop for $75. Works like a charm, and it rolls so that if it needs to be moved, its less likely to cause distress. 

I would take the suggestion to change dates that AC is available. We do that with our firepit and fireplace because there are burn bans during the summer. And I would mention this to the guest in private feedback/mark them down on communication as surely you would have come to help had you known. 

Live and learn, indeed!! 
Each bedroom has standing fans in them already.  Someone has suggested labeling the ac units as “not to be touched” once they are in the closets. I’ll try that. I cannot imagine this will ever be an issue again! (She says with every finger and toe crossed). 
thanks fo your help! Be well. 

I might say something in the review like "So and so were quiet guests and we hope that they enjoyed their week long  stay. We were a little concerned that they moved a heavy air conditioner back onto a window without letting us know as we would have been happy to help them if made aware of the issue. We would recommend that group to hosts who prefer very self sufficient guests.  (For insurance reasons this is not a group we would be comfortable hosting again. )

Last parenthesis you can add if that's the case.  As a fellow host I would absolutely want to know if I was about to invite a guest into my space that moved very heavy objects and appliances without telling me, simply because I might need help getting things back in place.  My house is also quite old and I am always sensitive to potential damage because they aren't making more like it 🙂. Other hosts may disagree, but I'd say something in the review.  

Great!! I think it’s the lack of communication about this that was so shocking.