AirBNB Unprofessionalism -Account suspension- Ghosted -Unfair Treatment

AirBNB Unprofessionalism -Account suspension- Ghosted -Unfair Treatment

I am a new host and had a guest throw an unauthorized party and cause almost $1000 in damages which prompted me to submit an AirCover claim.  I’d been working with a Sr Support Ambassador which was good, unitl it was escalated to another person., which is when the responses were vague and inconsistent.  Last email, I was asked by Melanie, not sure who this was, to review the safety condition and respond to an email within 48hr which I did, and the necessary actions will be take on the guest account. 

I wake up the next morning, 5/10 and my account is suspended with no notice, explanation or duration of context and my calls and emails have gone unanswered, but I still have my booking confirmed.  I’m assuming this must be a mistake. I’ve not violated any terms or safety conditions. 

I need some help please because I can’t get any from anyone. I've read other thread and it appears to to be the business model of AirBNB to ignore people... just really a piss poor way of treating host who have done nothing wrong!

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Don4271 sadly we see this far to often. Hosts who do the right thing and report parties are then punished for doing so. Perhaps @Catherine-Powell would like to take a look at this example.

I've also emailed @Catherine-Powell as well this morning.. hoping to get a response.  Will keep the thread updated.  Isn't there a petition host can sign to invoke change?

To add to the absurdity and shear stupidity, my current and future reservation are still booked and confirmed, to include a guest checking in today.  I can still communicate with guest and edit my listing.  

So do I let guest continue to stay at risk of not being paid? Cancel and risk a bad review which will drive down ranking?  loss money in fees and utilities allowing a guest to stay?  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Don4271 I think it is your listing that is suspended not your account. This should mean you can host existing guest bookings and should get paid for them ( you can always go to court if you don't). Now of course this makes Airbnb's decision to suspend your listing even more stupid as, if there was a real concern about safety Airbnb shouldn't be letting guests stay with you. The whole thing makes no sense I am afraid.

Completely agree!  This makes no sense!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Don4271 I'm really sorry to hear about this experience! I've nudged the team and they confirmed this was being worked on. Someone will follow-up with you, I hope it'll all be resolved shortly!

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Emilie , 

Greatly appreciated and your nudge worked 🙂  I received an email this morning from a representative stating the "Suspension" is part of a "standard process" while a claim in place. It was great to at least know what is going on and have some information.   While I understand the need for safety, I do have questions on why a blanket policy is applied, in lieu of the actual material facts, being reviewed prior to a broad brush stroke.  I responded to the email with a concern that while my account is suspended, there is most certainly additional revenue and bookings being lost -at no fault of my own.  

That said, perhaps when a determination or an action is made, a quick email outlining the process, actions and affect may be appropriate.  It would have save me the headaches, the tier 1 representative the pain point of trying to satisfy a customer and not being able to, and give piece of mine that their is a method to the madness 🙂

Thanks again and I'll keep checking for reactivation. Have great day!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Don4271 That's great, I'm glad you heard something back, even if not a resolution yet!

I had already passed some feedback from other Hosts regarding this policy but I'll add your comments in the mix for the team to take into consideration going forward as well. Thanks for sharing, and please do let us know how things progress. 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Wonderful and will keep the thread updated.  Thanks so much again!