AirBNB never turned in federal taxes they withheld

Season0
Level 2
Portland, OR

AirBNB never turned in federal taxes they withheld

Airbnb withheld tax from me in 2015, sent me a 1099 stating as much (after much insistance), but never turned that withheld money into the IRS. Now I can't get anyone at Airbnb to get back to me. I call, I email, nothing happens. Has anyone dealt with this before? I don't know what to do. 

12 Replies 12
Marietta0
Level 2
Miami, FL

I do not understand, when you receive a Form 1099, Airbnb not withhold your taxes, you are independent contractor, you only show your expenses, and the money you earned ..., sometimes you have to pay , sometimes not .,...,I suggest you , to look a counter special

Other people have said this too. There is a box on every 1099 for "Federal Income Tax Withheld", and that is where it shows my withheld taxes. And on my transaction list on Airbnb too. Airbnb does not dispute that they withheld taxes, I just can't get ahold of anyone that could address my specific issue. So back to my original questions. Has anyone had this problem? 

@Season0

I have not experienced this.

How do you know they never turned in your withheld tax money to the IRS?

Notifications from the IRS. 😞

They do withold taxes if you don't provide a tax ID/SSN

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/510/why-are-taxes-being-withheld-from-my-payouts

I bet that is exactly what happened. 

@Allison0

Good point allison

So the IRS notified you that the 1099 is incorrect basically - this could mean one of two things, either the taxes were not witheld, or the amount in the box for federal taxes witheld is incorrect, in either case Airbnb would need to send you a corrected W-2 - You would need to get hold of the Tax Department at Airbnb - and.... they do not have a direct line. I suggest calling and having the customer service agent forward your situation to the tax department 

Another way to get help quickly is Airbnb on Face book 🙂 Go to their page there and voice your issue 🙂

This whole thing is a mess. It's some sort of mistake, I guess, why they withheld tax at all. But they did withhold them, the amount is correct, it just never made it to the IRS. The amount on the 1099 is exactly the amount shown as witheld in my transaction list. So it is the correct amount. I keep calling customer service, they leave a note for the tax department and no one gets back to me. I just can't believe I'm the only one out there in this specific situation. 

I would venture to guess the IRS needs to notify Airbnb - I belive it is something they would do since they are the tax collectors - have you spoken with them? 

Besides their Facebook page - you can also try going down to Airbnb yourself since they are located in your city 🙂