AirBNB taxes for TN/local Nashville

Answered!
Ben99
Level 2
Nashville, TN

AirBNB taxes for TN/local Nashville

How do we convince AirBNB to begin automatically collecting the sales tax / local hotel taxes for those of us hosts in the Nashville area.

The local and state codes are incredibly complex, and I see that in several major cities, AirBNB clearly breaks out the taxes and automatically calculates. 

It would be a huge help.   Where can someone like me start to lobby for this in Nashville ?  

Thanks ! 

1 Best Answer
Ryan-and-Amy0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Hi folks. Looks like this is an old thread and as we know, the sales tax issues has been solved (yay), but I'm wondering if any of you (in Nashville) pay business tax (city and county). I'm a sole prop who does several things to make a living and AirBnB is one of them. I know we have to have our business license (and I do) and I know that for my consulting work, I don't have to pay the tax, but do I need to pay it for STR revenue? Thanks! 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

Robin, Check out this thread; it should answer your q's about taxes: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Understanding-How-to-File-Taxes-in-Nashville-and-all-Ten...

HTH!

I would very much appreciate an opportunity to use the spreadsheet you created. Would you be willing to email to *sensitive information hidden*

I called Metro Nashville Collection Office because they sent me a letter saying I haven't been paying my Ocupancy taxes- granted that I have only began listing my place this June.  Anyway, I thought I understood that Airbnb was suppose to collect all Ocupancy taxes and Local taxes through customer payout begining March of this year.  

The lady at the collection office said that note Occupancy taxes and fees is local state tax and the "occupancy tax" is not factored in that collected amount even though it is labeled as "occupancy tax."  

Can someone explain this to me?  I have reached out to Airbnb and yet to get a response. 

Is there a way to add a line item on the listing from the admin side?

Richard-Carson0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I use an online company called Avalara. They set up all my tax papers for a reasonable fee and pay all my taxes, room, hotel, and business for a fee of $17 a month. I report to them my gross earnings and they withdraw the money from my account. I couldn't do it without them.

When filing for TN sales tax, do you use any exemptions or claim anything in the cost of personal property?

I haven't done anything special in the state tax form other than entering "gross sales". What are you considering putting in those fields?

Thx.

www.nastra.org

Airbnb will not start collecting taxes in Nashville until Nashville puts an ordinace in place that Airbnb is agreeable to.  They have an agreement with Memphis to collect taxes but that is the only city in TN.  

Rachel442
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I am not sure I applied for tax’s correctly. I applied for sales tax under classification 3 (services) accommodation. I also applied for business tax ID. Did I do not his correctly? Do I have to apply for federal tax ID? Don’t mean to sound ignorant just want to make sure I’m doing this correctly. 

Also applied for hotel occupancy tax 

Nicole631
Level 1
Nashville, TN

So AirBnB are starting to remit TN Sales Tax directly to the state on behalf of it's hosts for all new bookings taken since 3/1/2018. Does this mean I still have to remit the sales tax for stays booked before March 1st 2018? What are y'all doing?

Yes, I think so. I did.

Ryan-and-Amy0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Hi folks. Looks like this is an old thread and as we know, the sales tax issues has been solved (yay), but I'm wondering if any of you (in Nashville) pay business tax (city and county). I'm a sole prop who does several things to make a living and AirBnB is one of them. I know we have to have our business license (and I do) and I know that for my consulting work, I don't have to pay the tax, but do I need to pay it for STR revenue? Thanks! 

Ryan, I'm interest in you (and others) applying for the business license.  We're anticipating exceeding the recommended amts listed here: http://www.nashvilleclerk.com/business/short-term-rental-properties/ 

At what point did you obtain your business license? The form asks for a business name tax id etc; how did you determine these items? 

Others advice going through this process?