AirBNB taxes for TN/local Nashville

Answered!
Ben99
Level 2
Nashville, TN

AirBNB taxes for TN/local Nashville

How do we convince AirBNB to begin automatically collecting the sales tax / local hotel taxes for those of us hosts in the Nashville area.

The local and state codes are incredibly complex, and I see that in several major cities, AirBNB clearly breaks out the taxes and automatically calculates. 

It would be a huge help.   Where can someone like me start to lobby for this in Nashville ?  

Thanks ! 

1 Best Answer
Ryan-and-Amy0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Hi folks. Looks like this is an old thread and as we know, the sales tax issues has been solved (yay), but I'm wondering if any of you (in Nashville) pay business tax (city and county). I'm a sole prop who does several things to make a living and AirBnB is one of them. I know we have to have our business license (and I do) and I know that for my consulting work, I don't have to pay the tax, but do I need to pay it for STR revenue? Thanks! 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Be careful what you wish for.

Judging from other posts on here ABB will not collect all taxes, just those they have an agreement with whatever body they have done a deal with to collect so you still end up with collecting something, reconciling and showing the ones that have been paid direct with no individual confirmation. Not a simple solution.

David
Jonathan117
Level 4
Nashville, TN

I had a conversation with the Metro (Nashville) Collections this week. He provided helpful info on collecting the Hotel Occupancy Tax. He mentioned that the city has plans to implement a system for "filing and paying taxes online." Note that this is only for the city taxes only (6% plus $2.50/nt); state taxes (9.25% in Davidson county) are a whole other department and process.

Incidentally I have created a spreadsheet that "automagically" calculates the hotel taxes so you can quickly and easily complete the form. LMK if you're interested in that. 

I am interested in the spreadsheet if you still have it? I am just starting to host again this year, and trying to figure out taxes etc. thanks Jamie

Could you share your spreadsheet with me

I am interested in that spreadsheet!  Thank you. 

I am interested in your spreadsheet for taxes.

Do you still have the spreadsheet and would you be willing to share?  Thanks!

Anne

Hi Anne,

I polished the spreadsheet up, AND added state tax calculations, too! You can download it here:

https://fermentersclub.com/shop/nashville-short-term-rental-tax-calculator/

I'm asking for a small one-time ($10) donation and I know you will find it useful.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan, 

I bought and downloaded your spreadsheet. Do you have a version just for monthly usage and not the entire year? Also, the city tax rates fluctuate monthly? Thanks!

Hi Sarah,

The "effective" tax rates are mainly informational. They can fluctuate slightly based on the way the county determines your tax liability (i.e. there are fixed fees per number of nights stayed). The more gross income you have in a particular month, the lower the effective tax rate. It's usually around 8%. 

I am not sure what you mean by a monthly version. For each column, you can copy and paste the values directly into the PDF form provided by the city. For the state taxes you can do the same (you just really need to paste the "gross receipts" on row 29 into the TNTAP online form)

Hope that helps!

Jonathan

HI Jonathan et al;   I obtained my permit- (didint' know for months) in May 2018.  i did my first booking in July.   I thought i understood that the taxes were being collected on my behalf?  Do i still need to collect the motel/occupancy tax or any other ?  is a business license required?    im surprised at how intensely regulated this seems to be...a bit of a deterrant.  Would appreciate any current info you may have.  thank you.