AirBnB Blocking calendars

Elizabeth550
Level 3
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom

AirBnB Blocking calendars

Hi All

Its a moving picture in the UK with various local restrictions coming in to play as Covid cases are on the rise. Since the 'rule of 6' came in we have been adapting to take smaller groups. Local restrictions came in to affect today meaning only 1 household can stay together so further adaptations...story of the hosting year for many of us!

My issue now is that AirBnB are blocking our calendar for any reservation cancelled due to Covid restrictions, even though we can still accept new bookings, just with different arrangements such as smaller groups, one household, etc.  Support messages have been ignored or closed without resolution (as is so often the case).  Guests have sent screenshots showing they can't cancel without loosing the Airbnb service fee so are asking us to initiate the cancellation. We have no issue with full refunds (have got used to this now!)

Any help much appreciated! Trying to adapt is hard enough without a partner deliberately blocking trade... @Lizzie 

Thanks

Elizabeth

5 Replies 5
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elizabeth550,

Great to hear from you. I hope you are keeping well up there in Newcastle and the local lockdown is eased soon for you. It's a great city and so I'm sure lots of people would love to visit it. I have a fond memory as a child driving from Durham to Newcastle and going alongside the Angel of the North and Newcastle appearing behind it. It is amazing what you remember fondly. 🙂 

Yeah, it is all rather up in the air at the moment and I really feel for hosts in the UK and elsewhere right now. It's the lack of certainty that doesn't help. 

In terms of your calendar. Just to check - are the cancellations for bookings which are very close? Also, how are the cancellations being made ie. are they made by contacting the Airbnb Support Team? If you or the guest are cancelling them directly it is likely the system isn't knowing they are COVID related. 

Hope to speak with you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Elizabeth550
Level 3

Hi Lizzie

The cancellations, closest was a week and longest just over a month away. 

When we initiate the cancellation there is an option to confirm it is Covid related as the reason. 

A guest has just cancelled a stay due to local restrictions and was only offered 50% refund minus Airbnb service fee. 

Another point is that due to the constantly changing environment we have moved to enquiry only otherwise these problems would be amplified (we've had to explain current rules to numerous guests) and for this we get penalised with lower rankings. However, it is the responsible thing to do at this time. 

Any help much appreciated

Elizabeth

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth550 Absolutely DON'T cancel any  reservation to do with Covid legislation! - Not your problem! Not your responsibility! - Let the GUESTS cancel, if their party is more than 6! And let them sort the money issues between them, the guests & Airbnb!

- When the guest books, their payment sits in Airbnb's coffers, until the day after check in, when it is released to the host. So the guest needs their refund from Airbnb, the holder of their money, not you! 

On the plus side the tightening up of legislation re 6 in a gathering max has gone in hand with the RELAXATION of the 2 households rule! So you're now free to host people you could not have hosted a couple of weeks ago! Including 6 people from different households! Whoopee!

I noticed they are tightening up on social gatherings eg pubs in the North East, but got the impression holidays were still allowed?

Elizabeth550
Level 3

Thanks Helen

Yes we have always done that until recently when some guests were concerned about loosing their money and spending time delaying the cancellation  We may have to push back on this though. 

Local restrictions are still allowing holidays but now just one household, so we went from 2 households, to 6 people from up to 6 households then down to 1 household...  I prefer real rollercoasters, much more fun!

Thanks

Elizabeth

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth550 Ah! I'm a little behind with the info! - I've got 2 chaps on bicycles (who probably don't live together) staying tonight to start the C2C.... So once they cross the Cumbria/Durham border, will they be acting unlawfully?