AirBnB Non-Diverse Marketing

Rachel399
Level 1
Chicago, IL

AirBnB Non-Diverse Marketing

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 4.52.15 PM.pngHi AirBnB,

Let me start off by saying I am one of your biggest fans! In fact, I just wrote a proposal for a huge partnership with one of the US's leading brands to work with you.

However, I just noticed something that dissapoints me greatly. My sister, who happens to be gay, recently got engaged. Her and her fiance are lovers of travel and will only stay in AirBnBs when they travel near and far.

So, of course my first instinct was to get them a hefty AirBnB gift card as a celebratory gift of their love. As I logged on to the site to send a gift card I was so eager to get this sent to them as I knew this was the perfect opportunity for them to take a trip.

Unfortnatley, my excitement has turned into disappointment. Look at your gift card options--there are only heterosexual couples modeled in the pictures. Look at my above image.

The options without models featured leave me to pick from TWO choices. I'm either forced to give them a gift card with a man and woman on it--mocking them of their non-traditional life they are living and struggles they continue to face--or a picture of cold mountains (hard to give to beach loving ladies).

I know their love is stronger than a label--but they think of you as home. Do better AirBnB, be aware, look out for us. We think of you as family--act like it.

-Rachel B.

17 Replies 17

You have no idea what prejudice is. I treat all equally based on character-not other meaningless influences.I have hosted all-black, white, straight, gay, etc etc etc and treat them all with the same courtesy and NOBODY will get preferential treatment due to shallow factors. I am fair, but I do not subscribe to SJW woke brainwashed ideology just because it's the fad.

You took the "no-brain required" route and called me racist in the past because I mocked politicians such as Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren who play identity politics HEAVILY and base everything on race (Warren tried playing the Native American card and popped up hardly a trace genetically).Sorry, that view is not racist nor prejudice. Learn the meaning before you act like a cultist. The problem is you can only handle tolerance and acceptance in a very shallow way-certainly not diversity of opinion-especially if it doesn't coincide with your own politically!

In the future gather your facts  before accusing someone of being a racist. You cannot point out one post where I demean, degrade or assert some kind of ethnic/racial superiority because of what skin tone I have or others have. Accusations such as these are only meant to stigmatize people who don't mindlessly go with the flow.Typical. So now I want you to pull up just 1 quote as being obviously racist and superior. Just one post where I am someone in power using my supposed skin color as a means to discriminate- Just one.After this, you can apologize to me.

@Russell49 It amazes that you take the time to troll through posts that are four years old looking for something to get upset about. What exactly is "exclusives lifestyle accomodation"?

The good news is there are now more generic card choices, as well as options with diversity, so Airbnb must have thought it was good business too. Who are they isolating by representing diversity that reflects their customer base?

It would be all too convenient to call someone' s opinion as "trolling" just because you disagree with  it. Sorry, but I see things as they are and have my own opinion. BTW-Airbnb didn't see it as ideal hence making the "generic" cards as you identified along with the alternative....also an interesting choice of terminology to call a straight version as generic. Have a good day, or don't. I don't care either way 🙂