AirBnB allowed bookings on my account on dates that were blocked off

Jen42
Level 2
New York, NY

AirBnB allowed bookings on my account on dates that were blocked off

Hello, I am facing great frustration as I have spoken with two airbnb reps over the phone about my having blocked off my calendar for a set of dates - Oct 1-5 - and guests still having been able to book rooms those dates.

I had contacted airbnb with initial booking that this error was happening - no response.

Then three bookings on blocked dates occurred.

I had to go out of my way to request cancellations - disappoint guests - and of course this negatively affected my profile and caused it to be shut down. I believe these cancellations affect my profile negatively - making my listing less likely to show up in people's searches - and also affects my chance to be a super host.

However, these cancellations are NOT MY FAULT - IT'S AIRBNB'S FAULT for allowing bookings to happen those dates that were blocked out on my calendar!!!!!

The reps said there was nothing they could do and that I would continue to be penalized. How is this fair?

I like the airbnb service, but find it ridiculous that they cannot amend - or more likely will not - this issue - of a customer that has contributed to about 100 bookings - both hosting and travelling.

10 Replies 10
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Hi Jen - your 'room 2' is still available to book today, so it looks like the callendar isn't blocked off. I entered today's date and I was a click away from booking for tonight (I won't come really!) Sorry to ask, can you see how to block the callendar off on your host page?

Michela53
Level 2
Bakers Creek, Australia

Hi Jen, I had the same problem. I blocked out severals days in December and noted it down as owner booking.

I'm new to Airbnb so to double check that I got it right I opened Airbnb as a guest and tried to books those dates. The dates were indeed blocked. Happy with this I tried out instant booking. Well the next day I received a booking for those very days. I had to cancel the booking, apologies profusely and block the calendar again. I turned off instant booking, doubled checked the days were blocked out and all seemed fine. Two days later, I received a a booking enquiry for those days. Again I had to explain to the guest those days were not available. So I blocked it again. checked agin that night, and the dates were blocked. Checked in the morning, and the dates were once again free! I called Airbnb and after repeating myself for 20 minutes I finally convinved them to block it there end. I aslo asked that they remove any penalties regarding the cancellation. I spoke to two people from Airbnb and the first told me that it was wise to turn off instant booking because it's not uncommon for people to be able to make a booking on days that are blocked out. 

I am facing the same problem and have had to cancel two bookings, were you able to get AirBNB to remove the penalties? 

Deborah250
Level 1
Leeds, GB

I am having exactly the same issue. It has happened several times and Airbnb are threatening to suspend my account. I will try to contact a rep. If I can find an email address for the rep I will copy and paste the other comments from the ci=ommunity and suggest other people do the same. 

Judy208
Level 2
Brant, Canada

Hi 

I too have blocked dates that I can see are blocked from my end but I just had 2 different guests able to book on those days that were  not to be available. 

Thanks

Judy

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Judy208

Do you sync your Calendar?

David

I did have my calendar synced but then my blocked dates were blocking the other room that was available. I just unsynced it a few days back. 

@Jen42, has AirBnB offered an explanation of why this is happening?

Rachel13
Level 6
Morzine, France

@Matthew285 @Judy208 @Michela45 @Jen42 I am also having this problem! I have just had a Booking request for my 11-person ski chalet for 7 - 14 March 2020. The dates are already blocked off; I did this about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Did you get any resolution to this back then in 2017? I have contacted Customer support (by messaging, as I am not in the USA) and I have had a totally useless rep tell me twice to just "decline the booking". This is simply not good enough. I am on Instant Booking and I dread getting a double booking! This guest could have booked at €2400 less than the chalet costs for the week, as it is the base rate which has shown up! I have asked for this to be escalated ...and the rep has just gone silent on me.

If any of you have any advice I'm all ears!

Thanks

Rachel

Judy208
Level 2
Brant, Canada

Hi Rachel 

That is correct. I blocked a date with certainty. It got booked anyways, I cancelled the guest and now airbnb have removed my superhost status that remains in effect for one year. I will not regain that status until around July 6 2019 when I cancelled  the booking. I believe it has affected my bookings and has left me wondering if this harsh penalty is worth it. It's been frustrating.

Appparently from what I understand there is a difference between declining and cancelling. So if you have instant booking and its an inquiry you can decline anytime you want but if they have already booked dates that would be a cancellation on your part. 

I understand that you blocked dates and no one should have been able to book.

I would continue to try and get assistance from a representative until this is resolved. 

All the best

Judy