AirBnB claiming Guest Review with false information doesn't go against their review policy

AirBnB claiming Guest Review with false information doesn't go against their review policy

Hello,

This might be in a grey area, but how can I get AirBnB to remove a review that states false information?  We have a new listing, but I am not new to hosting.  We spent a lot to furnish the house, with plenty of amenities, a full kitchen with a complete set of cookware(I know, I've stayed there when I hosted my wedding party) - pots, pans, baking sheets, casserole dishes, large bowls, etc.  I know we have some dirty windows that are hard to clean on the exterior, but I saw the house less than a week before the guests arrival and it was spotless.  Their review states "the house was not so clean and it's a pretty old farmhouse".

I have scheduled messages going out two days before and the day after check in, as well as a message reminding guests about checkout procedure the day before checkout.  The only message I received from the guest was asking us for "cooking bowls".  My cohost responded and let them know we have an assortment of bowls in the house.  When he went there to check on them, they were cooking in the oven with one of our baking sheets, yet their review states "The kitchen has plenty of plates, glasses, bowls but no cooking pan or bowls were there.  So if you want to cook something you need to bring your own". 

They also stated "There was a small lake behind the house that makes it more beautiful."  There is no lake, not even a pond.  There is a brook though..

Now, I know cleanliness levels could be subjective, but the house was very clean.  Still, so maybe we didn't meet their standards, but they didn't state such when we reached out to them, and in addition they made factually false claims about our kitchen and the property(the lake comment). They didn't leave the place overly dirty, but they did swap bedding and pillow cases around, which was strange and bothersome.

Airbnb didn't ask for photos to confirm any of this, they're just standing behind the "this review doesn't violate our policy".  I have continued to appeal the decision.  This is only our second review and it's a 3/5 star which Airbnb's automated email is telling me puts us in the "bottom of Airbnb listings globally". 

Are we really at the whim of the unsubstantiated, false claims the guests make?

9 Replies 9
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

This is not surprising as everyone has different standard on cleaning. I have experienced similar things a lot. Keep in mind lots of people in this country are living in large, clean, newer houses where they don't see too much dust on their floor and windows don't need to be cleaned for months, plus there's little noise around their houses. When those people book my listings in central city Philly, some of them find it unacceptable accusing our house to be: old (the house is ~100 years old although renovation is new), dusty (there are constructions nearby in the city that make noise), and noisy (city noise). 

Occasionally I encounter a picky guest that cannot tolerate even a small piece of hair in the bathroom. Just move on. You can't argue with this type of people who think they live in clean room.

Thanks for the reply.  The bigger issue is that Airbnb doesn't care if a guest lies.  Look on google maps at our property and it's not at all near a 'lake', yet the guest claims it is.  Go into our kitchen and empty our cabinets and you'll find dozens of baking dishes/pots/pans.  These are facts that Airbnb could confirm as true, but does not.  Instead it allows for actual lies to remain.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ryan2770,

You just have to leave a succinct response to their review to correct the inaccuracies.  You don't have to explain in full detail.  Something like, "We do provide cooking items such as bowls and baking pans, and informed you of their location in response to your inquiry.  While cleaning after your checkout it does appear that you used these items during your stay.   Also, there is a stream in the back of our property, but no lake or even a pond."

I did leave what I believe is a mature response correcting their inaccuracies.  Even if this is my only recourse, I now have a 5 and a 3 star review, so my average is 4.  Just an annoying hole to dig ourselves out of just starting out.

Rosey10
Level 2
Clovis, CA

I’m new to the Airbnb community and my first guest checked out a week ago. They trashed my place as if it was a motel. I haven’t yet rated him and he hasn’t done the same. I’m also concern about my first rating. I’ve tried to contact Airbnb as well to get compensated for my damaged items and it seems like it’s left for me to try to resolve. How did you rate your guest?

I rated them well, because they didn't leave the place too messy and were quiet and respectful even though there were 13 adults and a baby.  They have a history of 5* reviews, and so I just figured they were the type that doesn't communicate much during a stay.  I had no reason to assume they were unhappy.

One of their requests prior to booking was that the house be cool for their newborn.  We had the ACs in the day before keeping the house cool but when we went to clean, all of the ACs were off.  This was after the hottest day of the year so far(95F).

In the past I'd had guests like this with my old listing and felt safe enough rating her well before the 14 limit....well, I wont be doing that any longer.  We also found upon cleaning that we're missing a pillow and pillowcase...Our rules state no rearranging furniture and they rearranged several of the bed's bedding and pillows which is just bothersome and confusing.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosey10 

If the review is bad, it's maybe better to delete the listing and create a new one. You will have nothing to lose, i.e. no past good reviews going to waste, and it's not great to start out a listing with only one review that is bad.

Wont I have to pay cancellation fees for guests that are booked in the future?

I currently have a new guest in there now and another one expecting to arrive in August.