AirBnB misleading guests regarding check-in time

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

AirBnB misleading guests regarding check-in time

I've always wondered why guests are so stupid they cannot understand the concept of check-in time. Turns out, it's not their fault. AirBnB is giving them the option to select check-in times that are inconsistent with the listing. And why should the guest question it? If they are able to select whatever check-in time they want while making a booking, then it is reasonable for them to expect they should be able to come at their selected time. 

When AirBnB presents the check-in selection screen to the guests, the impossible times should be removed. And this shouldn't be too complicated, since both hosts and guests select check-in times from a menu. After the host has made a selection and defined the check-in window, then the menu presented to guests should EXCLUDE times that are not within that check-in window. I've called AirBnB many times about this over the last 2 years, but as usual, they are more interested in expanding into petting zoos and therapy animals than sorting out issues with their core product.

The 3 attached screenshots show the following: a) My check-in time is 3PM; b) I got a request this morning for an 8AM check-in; c) When viewing my own property from my guest account, the check-in times displays go from the current time onwards, irrespective of the host's settings.These are the options shown to guests. Notice the phone's time - 12:30PM. All times after that current time are shown as an option.These are the options shown to guests. Notice the phone's time - 12:30PM. All times after that current time are shown as an option.Check-in time is 3PM, checkout is 11AMCheck-in time is 3PM, checkout is 11AMGuests are able to select check-in times that are even before the check-out time of the previous guests! How stupid is that???Guests are able to select check-in times that are even before the check-out time of the previous guests! How stupid is that???

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean95  Yes, this has been mentioned on these forums before. It does indicate that the guest can't actually book unless they agree to your check in window-"To book now, check in after 3PM", but of course it also gives the guest the impression that once the booking is made that they have options outside those times.

Typical Airbnb obfuscation. Shouldn't be there at all, it's ridiculous. I guess all we hosts can do unless or until they do away with this is to make it a standard part of our post-booking messages to guests- that only the stated check-in window in the listing will be accommodated, and that if that is a problem for them, to make sure to check with you whether a time outside of that could possibly be arranged for, but not to assume. .

@Sarah977 I saw where it says "To book now, check in after 3PM", but when you have a statement that contradicts selectable menu items, then you don't really know what to think. Instead of having a statement, they need to just modify the selectable items in the menu! Obfuscation indeed

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Guests are only given this option if booking within 48 hours of check in. But I agree, why would they be given options outside of the hosts listed check in time?!?!

If they arrived between 8am-10am would they walk in on another guest? or to a dirty apartment because the cleaning crew doesn't come until 11am? Not much sense was used in creating that feature. Obviously. 

@Emilia42  It is because Airbnb wants to accommodate guests at hosts' expense as always. It is similar to allow guests booking with just a first name.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emilia42  That's even more senseless- that it would be offered only to those who book 48 hours before check-in. From my reading on this forum, last-minute bookers tend to be the most problematic in terms of poor communication and failure to fully read listing descriptions. And there's less time for hosts and guests to exchange messages ironing out check-in details, making sure the guest has entered the correct number of guests, that they've read the house rules. And because they may be in the midst of travelling, they may not even have access to communications some of that time, like if they are on a flight, so they might not get a host's message in time to realize that no, they won't be able to check-in at 1 AM.

Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

Honestly, I checked the PC version and mobile app and did not find anything regarding check-in/ check out time.  Just the arrival and departure dates.  

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

This option is only for the "last minute" bookings.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Sean95 omg another thing to be frustrated about. Honestly, who makes these decisions? No wonder I have so many people 'telling' me they're arriving before my check in time. Again, my check in time is part of the saved message I send to people, but we shouldn't have to do this! Grrrrrr.....

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Kath9  - I'm hosting guest from your town, 2 nights, just now....

@Helen350, no way! Albany, Western Australia? (there's one in Queensland too I think). Small world! I hope they are perfect guests and representing Albany well!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen350 @Kath9 
We have an Albany in what was called the Rodney District that is now called the North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand too!

Who is this Mr Albany and what is his background of navigating around the world?

Do others here in CC have an Albany in their location?
Maybe that could be another topic..

@Kath9Do you have chooks/ roosters in your towns of Albany?
We used to when it was more rural and farming community but now it's Urban SPRAWL and people who are not used to them complained, so silly as animals are there as part of the food chain.

Chickens were introduced for people to have eggs & a food source back in the day.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen427 @Kath9  I asked when he arrived if it was Albany, southern tip of W.A. He said Yes. He's checked out now, we gave each other 5* across the board! So view my profile to follow his travels! (Not that exciting, mainly UK - he said he was born in the UK & emigrated aged 5.)

- I'm hosting another Western Australian (living West Africa) in 6 days time... He'll be staying at mine 1 night between walking the 95 mile West Highland Way,in Scotland & the 182 mile Coast to Coast Walk, across 3 National Parks in the north of England..... WOW!!!

@Helen350, good to hear! I looked at the review but I don't know him. But your next Western Australian sounds interesting! Good on him! I once had a guest stay who was cycling from here to Uluru (that's a LONG way across full on outback). I posted him a locally brewed beer to find when he got there (I knew he would be going to the post office as he'd sent a change of clothes ahead). Hopefully he found a way to chill it!

@Helen427 yes I too wonder who Mr Albany was! He certainly got around (think the capital of New York state). It seems in most places it's pronounced All-bany, but here we say Al-bany. Our Albany is a growing regional city of about 30,000 in a rural farming area, so a mix of old and new. It was actually the first settlement in Western Australia, so quite historic, plus it was the leaving port for the ANZACS (including your boys) in WWI, so we are ANZAC central around here.  Plenty of people still have chooks and many have horses and dogs. It's a lovely place to live actually, not too small and not too big and absolutely stunning, rather New Zealandesque, actually!