AirBnB not giving hosts support when your place is ruined by guests

Laurens14
Level 3
Amsterdam, NL

AirBnB not giving hosts support when your place is ruined by guests

AIRBNB HOSTS BEWARE: January 1st I walked into my own house to find it COMPLETELY RUINED by AirBnB guests. COCAINE on the tables, pungent WEED smell, a wool carpet (which I inherited) full of STAINS and BURNED SPOTS (my house could have literally been burned down to the ground) and a COUCH THAT WAS PEED on. TOTAL DAMAGE over 2.000 EURO. The guests did not respond anymore after confronting them.

AirBnB always communicates that they are insured for cases like this and that they will help you out as a host. In my case they only got to action after 3 weeks of calling them every day and compensated me for a fraction of the material damage. I advise you to read the terms & conditions of AirBnB very carefully. From my experience, this is in no way worth it. The extra money is fun, until something like this happens.

5 Replies 5
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This story is a reminder to raise your price.  Higher prices scare off the riff-raff.

Also, you need your own insurance because Airbnb cannot be trusted to pay for damages. That has been the consistent message from other hosts in this forum.

Hi Pete, that is why I wanted to warn hosts. Because people and I didn't know. My price is fairly high I must say because the reasons you are coming up with. Money was not the problem - there were receipts left in my house for 250 euro facial cream and a whole pile of expensive stuff they bought. I think this might be one of the 10.000/100.000 cases this happens at this price level. But when it happens you expect AirBnB to step in. At least I did.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Commiserations @Laurens14 . If you type "trashed" or "destroyed" into the search box top right, you will see MANY similar cases, and worse! 😞 .

- I've added "trashed" as a tag on your post too.

Hi Helen, thanks! Hope - for everyone - that AirBnB will step up.

Laurens14
Level 3
Amsterdam, NL

Hi guys, thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately AirBnB only refunded about 1/3rd of the damage and I will have to fund the rest myself.

In the last email from the CEO AirBnB writes in bold letters: "when something goes wrong, AirBnB will be there for you". Well, not so much.

I am really disappointed and will spread the word on how AirBnB treats its hosts.