AirBnB with long-term rental in the same building

Mary-Beth16
Level 2
New York, United States

AirBnB with long-term rental in the same building

Hi all - we are considering purchasing a Duplex in the city where my family lives. We would like to use one half of the duplex when we are visiting (about 4 weeks a year) and rent it as an AirBnB the other months. 

For the other unit, we are planning to rent to a long-term tenant. 

Does anyone have experience with AirBnB in the same small building as long-term tenants? Any advice or things we should watch out for? The area we are looking at purchasing in is urban and has mostly younger renters, if that matters. 

Mary Beth 

10 Replies 10
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Mary-Beth16  ABB is not the site for this arrangement. You would do much better with a regular landlording situation. 

In most states, you become a landlord when a guest stays over 30 days. You need a lease to protect you. ABB will not provide one. Your tenants don't review you and if they make crazy demands, you have a lease to spell out exactly what is provided and allowed. 

ABB also only collects the first 30 days of payment and does not guarantee beyond that. Sometimes its 15 days if your guests have split payment and start complaining. ABB does not actually have a security deposit with funds held in escrow like a real security deposit. They will only pay out if your guest agrees to or if they find in your favor during a dispute. And the CS reps aren't the best. Guests prevail more often than not, even with proof from the hosts. 

I would never use ABB for anything other than STR. You will become a landlord anyway through this site, and its just an annoying layer added that you don't need. Read up on your state laws. Get a real lease drawn up. Talk to other landlords in your area. Screen for credit. Require an application. Trust me-- I have been a landlord and a host. The two are very different. 

For your own space that you are using, you will need to have a good cleaning crew. Someone should check the space after every guest to report any damage. Claims need to be filed within 14 days. You need to keep your calendar up to date and provide enough time between guests to disinfect or account for any serious messes. 

If you have your own items in the space you should ensure that they are locked up because if a guest finds something they will use it. Think about whether you want to allow small kids or pets and the capacity of your listing. If you have a long term tenant next door you will probably want to make sure you don't have parties or large groups of noisy guests.

Make sure your furnishings can take a beating. No priceless antiques or family heirlooms in the space.

Thank you for responding. Yes, this is all clear to me and I am not planning to rent any units long-term on AirBnB. There are two units in the building and I plan to rent one in a long-term way (traditional property management, not via AirBnB) and the second unit will be an AirBnB short-term rental. 

My question is for people who have done this - is it difficult to attract long-term tenants if they know you are renting the unit above or below on AirBnB? Are there any potential frictions between long-term tenants and AirBnB tenants that I am not thinking of? 

@Mary-Beth16  Noise would be the most common complaint in this situation. If the long term tenants are loud, you could get bad reviews from the str guests, and if the guests are noisy, the long termer will be displeased.

I don't know how big the unit you will occupy is, but you might want to list it for only 2 people to make a noisy party atmosphere less likely. Also less potential for damage or a big mess left behind.

@Laura2592  - Thank you for responding. Yes, this is all clear to me and I am not planning to rent any units long-term on AirBnB. There are two units in the building and I plan to rent one in a long-term way and the second unit will be an AirBnB short-term rental. I am clear on what will be required to rent the unit to a long-term tenant with security deposits and credit checks and all of the legal ramifications if you get a bad tenant. 

My question is for people who have done this - is it difficult to attract long-term tenants if they know you are renting the unit above or below on AirBnB? Are there any potential frictions between long-term tenants and AirBnB tenants that I am not thinking of? 

@Laura2592  - Thank you for responding. Yes, this is all clear to me and I am not planning to rent any units long-term on AirBnB. There are two units in the building and I plan to rent one in a long-term way and the second unit will be an AirBnB short-term rental. I am clear on what will be required to rent the unit to a long-term tenant with security deposits and credit checks and all of the legal ramifications if you get a bad tenant. 

@Mary-Beth16 oh sorry-- got it.

I think it depends on the person and how you handle your listing for STR. Again, big groups, people with noisy pets or kids, that might be difficult for your tenant. Or it might not. Is your building fairly soundproof?  Our place has 18 inch stone walls so you can't hear much of anything as a neighbor. Our neighbors have been really supportive and our guests keep to themselves. Might be different in a situation with shared walls. 

Makes complete sense. We are still looking at properties and I am trying to find something that would work well and have separation (as much as possible) between the two units. Thank you!

Mary-Beth16
Level 2
New York, United States

Sorry... I don't know how I posted this 3 times. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you checked you can do STRs in the area/complex you are looking at @Mary-Beth16 ?

Mary-Beth16
Level 2
New York, United States

Yes, it is a standalone duplex and the city allows short-term rentals.