AirBnb removed the map from search: Are guests asking where your place is? PLZ call AirBnb

Answered!
Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

AirBnb removed the map from search: Are guests asking where your place is? PLZ call AirBnb

TL;DR:  AirBnb no longers lets guests look at a map showing the location of different listings on the map (at least on desktop).  Clicking into listings still lets you see location on a (small) map. 

In the past few days we've gotten a huge uptick in guests asking how far we are from [insert destination].  We get a few like that per month, but it's rare, as we mention in our listing that Google Maps is a great way to find directions 😉  

A friend gave me a head's up today that he was looking for an AirBnb in a different city, and couldn't search for listings on the map on AirBnb anymore. 

Hopped on the computer, and found it to be true (logged in, no map button on the search results page; in an incognito window, there was a map on/off button, but it was dead).  Called into AirBnb, and after going through some customer service scripts with the first person who answered, I got transferred to someone authorized to go off script.  I was on hold for awhile as he got in touch with the tech folks, and it turns out that AirBnb has removed the ability for guests to search by location on a map (in desktop).  The map functionality is kind've still there in app, but only if you know it was there and to click the unlabeled map button. 😐

Repeat:  On the computer, guests can't say, "I'm going to X concert venue, so I'll look at the map and investigate the AirBnb listings closest to the venue."  For Philadelphia, which has roughly 150,000 small neighborhoods, guests can narrow down search results by neighborhood, if they already happen to know the names of every small neighborhood in a city they've never visited.  AirBnb confirmed this is not a glitch.

The supervisor I talked to agreed that this is bonkers, and told me that customer service got no notice about this.  He gave me a feedback link that apparently actually goes somewhere (we'll see).  If other hosts find this as crazy as I do, and are worried that guests will flee the platform if they can't find rooms in the locations they want, PLEASE call AirBnb.

TIPS for a successful call (probably 20 minutes start to finish, most of it on hold)

- Customer service will want your name *as it appears on your account* +

Email

Phone Number

Payout Method

and Payout Method Email

- Explain that you're a serious host who has made a serious investment in AirBnb's platform, and are concerned about a major policy change that you've just learned about.  

- Explain that you've learned AirBnb has removed map functionality from guest searches on the desktop (not mobile) site.

** The customer service rep will likely NOT know about this and will tell you it's your browser.  Be patient**

- Explain that you understand they haven't received notice about this yet, but that your friend who is also a host just got off the phone with a Customer Service Supervisor and that he was in contact with an AirBnb technical team who explained that this is not a glitch. (You're not lying, I'm a friend to all.)  🙂

- Ask to be transferred to a supervisor or team leader authorized to get in touch with a technical team to confirm that the loss of map functionality is intentional and not a device-or-browser-level glitch; let them know you'll be happy to hold.  

- If they resist, respectfully and politely reiterate that you've invested a lot into the platform, and that you cannot continue to host without an explanation, beyond a scripted answer, for such a major policy level change that threatens your AirBnb business.  (A lot of us prefer to present as homey folks instead of businesspeople, but AirBnb understands that they cannot risk folks' livelihood.  If you have a lot of listings and/or a lot of reviews, share those numbers with the rep., and they'll have a better sense of how serious you are.)

- Explain above to supervisor.

- Ask supervisor to send you a feedback link specific to your account, or that you'll hold if he or she wants to get in touch with the AirBnb tech team to confirm.  

- Send feedback.  

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Have been going on about this for some time now (it's the reason I got back on the forum, to find out what was happening) and put suggestions on Host Voice etc but possibly because not all users over the world will see the same version of the site at the same time we don't complain as a unified lot. I will say ''where's the map, can't see it?'' and someone else will say ''yes it is, it's right here, no problem''.

But if it has dissapeared globally, then the gradual map loss might be the new look of Airbnb and it is a huge mistake. Do complain, complain loud and clear as this is insanity. We need to know where we are!

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47
Chris1897
Level 1
Newtown Square, PA

This looks like it's been an issue for over a year now. It's june 2019 and I've tried several brousers with no luck. The help page will not even ackowlage that map search is an option for searching location. search is useless without the ability to use maps. I'm literally seeing search results that are 100 miles apart in searching a region and without opening them one by one I have  no way to know where they are. This makes AirBNB fairly useless.

And just as soon as I posted the above coment I clicked on a random button and the map appeared. The site layout and user interface needs some serious work or users are going to abandon it.

Finding critical features should not be brouser dependent or requier dumb luck to find.

I just wasted an hour trying to get to the map feature.

Carmilla0
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Airbnb management are seriously so unbelievably stupid. 

Alisa65
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

I can't see the map in Chrome, but I can see it in Safari

IT'S THE BROWSER YOU ARE USING.. TRY A DIFFERENT ONE.. THE AIRBNB SITE DID NOT WORK CORRECTLY ON MOZILLA FOR ME, BUT IT WORKED FINE ON CHROME.. TRY THAT!

True. It works on my old laptop (Windows 7 with chrome) but not on my iPad or phone.

Not being able to search via maps is crazy.  This needs to be resolved or I'll never use AirBnb.  Trying to book a Paris trip for 8 days and have some specific things my girls and I want to see.  ADD this function back immediately.  Silly not to have it.

Diego729
Level 1
Bahía Blanca, Argentina

This continuous idea of hiding information to avoid bypassing airbnb webpage. It's time to grow up in intelligence. This only provokes setbacks for users, think of cleverer ways please.

Jeremy401
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

air bnb map search not operating, thus nit much use anymore.

I will be looking elsewhere

Patty201
Level 2
Monterey, CA

My guess is that they did it on purpose. Airbnb is illegal in many towns like Monterey Cali where I live. They elliminate properties from an already tight (and expensive) rental market so I get it. If they make it harder to pinpoint locations, people are less likely to get "turned in". Not everybody benefits from Airbnb, although it's a great alternative to overpriced hotels.  For people trying to exist in a tourist town it can be a nightmare.

Finn51
Level 1
Stenløse, Denmark

No MAP  --->  No AirBNB, that's life. 

Koen40
Level 2
Rotterdam, Netherlands

What kind of airhead decided that I do not need the map view??? Please bring back the map view ASAP, you people are cdestroying your own product! I will stop using AirBnB if there is no map view because that is how I search...Location is everything!!!

Edit: checked out the iPad version to see if it has a map and it turned out the whole app was broken. This is clearly a company in decline...

Koen40
Level 2
Rotterdam, Netherlands

AirBnB is completely, utterly broken without a map!

Muaad0
Level 2
Tangier, MA

Pretty much useless without a map , they traded off a huge advantage idk for what exactly .. i'm disappointed.

Mary-E23
Level 1
Prov, RI

In January 2019, I see no map on desktop or app. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.  If one needs to look harder, there may as well be no map for the average visitor.  I have been an Airbnb host for years, and I have never personally booked anything for my own travel via Airbnb primarily due to the lack of a map in the main search.  WTF are they doing this for?  The lack of a map is  detriment to both hosts and potential guests.