AirCover request? GOOD LUCK getting reimbursed for your actual out-of-pocket costs!

AirCover request? GOOD LUCK getting reimbursed for your actual out-of-pocket costs!

AirCover is a joke and much worse than the previous system. We had about $6,000 in damages and were very meticulous to gather photos, videos, invoices, and statements from the cleaning and repair crews. I understand how this kind of thing goes, and I respect that Airbnb has a responsibility to carefully review and deny any claims that are poorly supported or where the host is trying to gouge them. I get it.

However, as expected, our request was slashed, but without any kind of real reasoning. There were about thirty people staying for 4 days, drunk and smoking the whole time with unsupervised young children, from diaper age to preteens, running around wildly (per the Ring doorbell). One of the most frustrating examples is that for the smoke remediation service, we used the same crew we've used twice in the past, and we had no problem getting reimbursed 100%. This time, the invoice was cut from almost $1,000 to $250, with the only explanation being "That's industry standard." It absolutely is not. Industry standard in our area is $4,000 for a whole-house service. I've called three times and nobody knows where to refer me. I also emailed over and over asking for a simple response about the Stanley Steemer invoice. We had to have a sofa, rug, and stair runner professionally cleaned due to extreme filth--the rug was literally dragged outside and left in the rain, covered in mud, and the sofa had alcohol and soft drinks spilled on it in addition to nail polish, ground-in food, and cigarette smoke. Despite all evidence being uploaded within about a week, it was never listed on our claim response--they simply overlooked it. And when I pointed it out over and over, I never got a straight response, just a copy-pasted answer.

So I decided to escalate. Guess what? The resolution team member who handled our claim said I didn't need to submit a written notice of dispute (which is what the fine print says to do, by the way), and instead he said I can call and ask to talk to the "concerned department." And then he also gave a different address that's not the same as what's in the fine print. So I called, and yep, the next person I talked to had no idea what I meant. We've moved to sending a written notice of arbitration. Atrocious service. GOOD LUCK if you have an AirCover claim. We are seriously considering moving off this platform.

82 Replies 82
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Max-And-Stephanie0  @Daniel9196 

Hey I sympathise with the situation you each find yourselves in, but if I can just make a couple of observations.

Max& Steph, reading through your profile, you have a lovely property, virtually un-monitored, close to water and you promote it as a great place for a family get away. These are exactly the type of listings party promoters search for. Those guests who want to have a few days away with a fuzzy 6 - 8 or 10 friends or work colleagues. I think you need to tighten up your description a bit, perhaps enlist the help of a neighbour to monitor guest activity and make this prominent at the head of your listing description....."We are in constant contact with neighbouring monitoring should assistance be required"  This will help to discourage party bookings.  In 600+ guests stays I have never had a party booking because, I live in an adjacent building on the property, guest activity is potentially monitored and I present an unacceptable risk to a party booking!

Another thing to pay particular attention to is.....where is the booking coming from? If the booking guest is local, ask for as much detail as possible as to why they need to use your property instead of their own. Party bookers are not going to jump state borders to have a good time....and most larger non family groups are not going to travel long distances for a get together.

And when it comes to claims you have to understand Airbnb are over a barrel. They are not an insurance company and they do not offer automatic coverage for the payment of a specific premium. You guys might think they are screwing you.....but for every one of you there is another who is trying to screw Airbnb.

That host who submits a claim relating to a damaged outdoor setting for $2,500 because, a guest burnt cushions that can't be replaced, with cigarette burns. The host does all the right things, gets a genuine replacement quote in writing, submits it in the required time frame, is particularly diligent and provides conclusive evidence the outdoor setting was not damaged previous to that guest stay. The thing he does not volunteer to the Resolution Centre.....he paid $300 at the local charity op shop for that outdoor setting for which he now wants $2,500. I know, I have worked in support and had to deal with just that situation. Airbnb will not automatically trust any claim, and if they do accept to offer some sort of compensation it will be to a certain extent out of goodwill, not obligation. 

We hosts are running a business! In the 5 years I have been hosting, Airbnb have put into my account $140,000 + and for that reward I am expected to provide a marketable facility and protect myself adequately for this business to continue. Of course Airbnb are going to market themselves as a user friendly organisation to both guests and hosts, and I agree that some of that marketing borders on being dishonest in that any compensation decisions are adjudicated....they are not set in stone, they up to the discretion of Airbnb personnel.

As I said, I feel sympathy for you guys, and being a host myself I always want to best outcome for me, but don't look to anyone else to cover your back, there are insurance companies out there who will protect you from every risk! You have to pay for it but at least you know, when that proverbial sh*t hits the fan, you will be covered! Don't rely on Airbnb!

Cheers.........Rob 

Brian345
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin4

Really. Sure sounds like it is marketed to us as insurance. Even the name Cover has undeniable strong correlation with insurance.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Brian345 

Yes it sure reads like insurance but Brian, it isn't. There is not an insurance company on earth that would survive if they all operated by Airbnb's interpretation.

With insurance, premiums are worked out on an actuarial basis where the risk of a certain article is assessed for the payment of a specific premium.  If you comprehensively insure your vehicle you insure it for either market value or agreed value, this is specified in the policy document and product disclosure statement, both of which you are provided with by law. And the premium you pay matches the risk the company is likely to take by insuring that article.

There is none of this, 'we have got your back covered' stuff where there is absolutely no paperwork to serve as a claim framework and if you are unfortunate enough to make a claim, company staff will adjudicate and find ways to minimise or reject any payout.

Brian, payouts of less than 20% of the claim value are common. I am not saying some claims are not paid out in full......they may be, but social media suggests that these are the exception rather than the rule.

You simply can't run a business when you don't know exactly what you are covered for.

And where this whole Aircover/HPS scheme is cruel, many hosts are lulled into a false sense of security thinking that Airbnb will genuinely cover their loss if a guest burns their property to the ground.

I have one documented case where an Airbnb host suffered considerable property damage when a guest accidentally let a fire in a fire-pit get out of control next to the property. Not only would Airbnb not be involved but, the property owners general insurer declined to be involved because their policy clearly stated their cover did not extend to short term rentals. This host had a repair bill of in excess of $100,000 because he trusted Airbnb would have his back covered and thought that was all he needed to do. 

Brian, don't put your faith in advertising material which will possibly let you down when you need it. There are no doubt insurance companies in NZ who will handle STR risks just as there are here in Australia.......get onto the NZ Insurance Council and they will point you in the right direction. Cover yourself properly, and then if you are let down you will have a legal basis for meaningful compensation.

Cheers.........Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Someday someone truly in charge at Airbnb will walk into the meeting and announce in no uncertain terms that the Host Guarantee, AirCover, 'Air Space' and such programs are now terminated and anyone that even mentions or suggests such a similar stupid idea like it in the future should first stop by the firing squad in the courtyard and save everyone time.

The new ad host campaign should be like Lord Kitchener's (WWI) one - 'I Want You in the New Airbnb Host Army'; a new breed of hosts who take no nonsense from guests and accept full personal responsibility for the welfare of their own place. 

/humor for the day

Christina1129
Level 2
San Clemente, CA

I too am experiencing this BS treatment from Airbnb. They promise to stand behind their house but when the time comes that we need support they are not there. I’ve probably called 20 times in the last two weeks and every time I call it’s getting pushed to someone else and then I get an email saying the case is closed and it hasn’t been resolved. I had excessive cleaning fees, the guest took the keys with them I had to have the locks re-keyed carpets cleaned etc. sent pictures and still no reimbursement. Airbnb does not care about their hosts and does not stand behind them. That was quite evident when they canceled all our reservations during Covid and we got nothing . I am seriously thinking about ending my relationship with them and doing all of my business with other companies who appreciate how hard we work. Without hosts they have no homes to rent out. It’s time they realize that the hosts are the most important part of the equation 

"They promise to stand behind their house but when the time comes that we need support they are not there."

Unfortunately oftentimes here is the reality: Take absentee hosts for example - they rent/buy a place to be used as a Airbnb cash cow; when anything happens out of the norm (i.e. party) they will not know it till a neighbor calls, the police does or the next day the cleaning lady has a tough time even finding the totally-wrecked unrecognizable home.

Then that 'host' has the audacity to send  Airbnb a 'damage request' for thousands of dollars (that may include a $3k table for example) in which whatever Airbnb pays actually comes from everyone's pocket (see economics 101). So Airbnb to some extend is compelled (because of their choice to have such a program) starts playing a cat & mouse game with the whole scene. It's a vicious cycle since the 'legitimate' requests will be put through the same meat grinder. 

@Christina1129  I experienced the exact same thing and feel the same way. There is no urgency on their end as far as hosts are concerned. The amount I asked for is small so it is not worth my time to continue to follow up but I am extremely disappointed in their lack of customer service. Did they ever pay for what you asked or is it a lost cause?

@Christina1129 agree 100%.

Lorrie47
Level 2
Crystal Lake, IL

@Emilie thank you for the quick response. We have heard absolutely nothing and it is a very large claim.

Jenine15
Level 1
Greenbank, Australia

I’m in the same position.
The case was found in my favour but after a month of being blocked while they investigated what occurred, both my properties were blocked for bookings on Airbnb and I had over $5600.00 in damages in the property and loss of income of over $9000!

After messages and phone calls all I get back is this message that sends you no where and no actual response! 
WHAT A JOKE.

ID LIKE SOME ANSWERS

NOT message thread closed!

I am having the same issues! No responds from Airbnb they had an insurance adjuster come to my home and he filled out his report agreeing I should be reimbursed. I’ve call several times and no answers on when to expect reimbursement. It’s been 2 mths no responds and I keep turning away rentals. Stressed as hell this is my home Airbnb clearly didn’t do guest check because the person who “ rented “ was not the guest and it was like a project x party in my home!  good thing for cameras and police!! I feel like it maybe time to contact legal advice ….

This was who I thought was renting my house top picture and the below picture was the first to arrive that my camera captured at the door bottom picture is then texting me why are there so many police out front of your house ? 15 police cars had it cleared out in no time 👍🏻 I was so violated  and there was zero help for. Airbnb and still no responds!! 

**[Image removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Jody198 

Sorry that this happened to you.

I had to remove the images as it's against our guidelines to share images of people, but I do understand that you were demonstrating the concerns you had.

Parties are banned at all Airbnb listings, you can read more here , so having the police attend was the right thing to do.

I've passed your details over to Airbnb Support to try and get someone in touch with you about your claim.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Jenny No I have not all I get is someone will contact you 24-48 hrs …even the insurance adjuster tried to get answers on my behalf still no luck ?

I have another rental wanting to book oct 12 for 28 days and my bet is I’ll loose this one too!! 😞 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Thanks for letting me know @Jody198.

Support have assured me that your case is with a specific team and that they will be in touch with a resolution soon.  I'm sorry I can't give you anything more specific than that.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines