Airbnb Blocked My Calendar, Said I'm Under Investigation and Has Given Me No Information for Two Days.

Leslie79
Level 3
Oakland, CA

Airbnb Blocked My Calendar, Said I'm Under Investigation and Has Given Me No Information for Two Days.

Hi All

I am in a supremely Kafka-esque Airbnb world. 

I have been hosting since 2012. I've hosted well over 2000 people, have a 4.8 to 4.9 host rating and am a superhost. I love hosting.

Two days ago, a woman would not leave my home. When I tried to get her to leave she said I was assaulting her and called Airbnb and the police. When the police arrived, they convinced her to leave and they told me that they were familiar with her and that she was mentally ill. 

The next morning, I noticed that all of my open listing nights had been blocked by Airbnb. The reservations I already had had not been cancelled, so I had a couple of full nights. Airbnb support said that I am being investigated and would be contacted. I have not been contacted and have continued to reach out to Airbnb support. No one I have reached can tell me anything except to wait. I am now losing $200-$300/day and can get no information. 

Does anyone have any experience like this or any suggestions? Does Airbnb have an ombudsperson? 

Help, please!!! I am feeling quite desperate about this. 

26 Replies 26

Not sure what you mean. I never did get any kind of response. My account just came back up with no contact, inquiry, explanation. Any advice for the future would be great. I manage about 125-150 reservations a month on the property I live on and it's likely something unfortunate will happen again. It would be nice to know who to contact. The company behaved badly in this instance. It's unlike them. In general, they are good. Thanks. 

Leslie79
Level 3
Oakland, CA

@Nick

I'd love to hear from you either through DM or this forum. Thanks

@Leslie79 , Its good you brought your situation here, The Mod Squad has been pivotal in dealing with things like this, we are lucky to have that option, they have gone to bat for many a member here .   I will say, documenting these things thoroughly, quickly and officially makes a big difference as well and likely led to a quicker and more adequate solution than  might have happened otherwise.   Stay well, JR

Hello Melodie and JohnO

i am writing hoping that you can help point me in the right direction. My listing was suspended arbitrarily by air bnb and all my bookings for the whole year were cancelled without notice today. 
this Saturday, I had a group of 10 people from New Jersey come for 3 nights. They had a great stay then the last day in morning, as they were checking out, they claimed to have found a mini cam in one of the bathroom. They also sent a photo showing theater the item was not there when they checked in. They are alleging that someone along the host or his cleaners came into the home to plant this object while they were gone. We have all the external front and backyard camera footage to prove that no one.went into the home. except their group. 
they collected the object.  stomped and damaged the memory stick, then took it to file a police report. We spoke to the police who stated that they could have planted the o ne t themselves. 

They posted a 1 star review. We had a 5 stars review for the past 18months. 
air bnb cancelled at least 10 reservations over the next 6 months. All the current bookings were cancelled. 
No one from the security team has reached out yet.

what can we do. Who to talk to. Guests just walkedinto to our place and turned the experience into a nightmare. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Marie-Ange56 ,

I am so sorry to hear about it and thank you for letting us know what situation may have led to this outcome.

Although I cannot promise much here, I will share your concerns with the Support teams as well. I am sure they will reach out to you soon once they have reviewed your case and provide you with further updates.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I am currently dealing with a similar issue. Whatever become of this? Are you up and running again?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Reason always prevails, eventually.

I have found that not to be true. Perhaps I should move to Belize.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Leslie79 

One other recommendation is to report the guest profile. If the police recognized her, then it's safe to assume she does this frequently. 

I would also call airbnb back, and let them know that they are not doing their part in screening guests. 

They said she was mentally ill. That doesn't mean she does this frequently and they did not indicate she does, so I did not assume that. Reporting the profile doesn't do anything to help me in the moment. And, the fact that Airbnb shut me down was the problem, not so much the guest and whatever happens with her next. 

Let me be clear for all. The problem is that Airbnb shut me down and that I did not have anyone to communicate with, to find out why or what or when. Customer service just said that the "safety team" was looking into it, but I was never contacted by any safety team. It was thoroughly Kafkaesque and then, as mysteriously as I'd been shut down, I was up again - minus 10% of monthly revenue or an explanation. 

@Leslie79 Reporting her profile wouldn't do anything to help you in tbe moment, what it would do is hopefully get her banned from the platform so she doesn't do to another host what she did to you.

Hosts need to have each other's back, so we can try to get these kinds of people from being able to book in the future.

Andrea5610
Level 1
Ohiopyle, PA

I can't believe how bad Airbnb is at handling these cases.  They don't take into account the owner's track record.  They always go in favor of the guest that doesn't follow the rules.  They rarely communicate with you.   Question:  Does anyone know how to use legal action against these people like the one with mental issues above?  The host should have been able to sue her for lost revenue.  Any advice would be helpful.