Airbnb CS siding with misbehaving guests and penalising hosts

Airbnb CS siding with misbehaving guests and penalising hosts

@Lizzie 

We are greatly distressed with our misbehaving guests who checked in today...and Airbnb CS just added insult to injury.

We accepted a 1-month booking from a guest who explicitly acknowledged and agreed with our House Rules, including NO visitors beyond the booked guests (to be COVID-safe) and maintaining a quiet environment during their stay. Our listing description also stated we have a security camera pointing out to the street to see who's coming in and out of the building (NONE inside our flat). We would check the camera to make sure the guests' self-checkin goes smoothly or else we'll provide assistance.

At check-in, the guests' party of two had an extra (third) person and we noticed a lot of audio equipment (e.g. speakers) being moved into our flat. We called the guests to remind them of the House Rules they agreed to, but the guests got upset at us and accused us of trying to scam them.  We said we're happy to let them stay if they will observe the Rules going forward else they should consider leaving. They said they will have visitors whenever they wish and will be recording their music (the speakers and multiple audio equipment do NOT suggest they'll play their music quietly).  They ultimately threatened us and said they won't move on unless WE cancel their booking so they get all their money back (there were also threats of submitting a retaliatory review). They realise if they cancel they will lose their fees.  Though we didn't have to, we offered to refund them the fees for the nights we would manage to get another booking.

We called Airbnb CS and let them know of the situation. Hours later a case manager Pam took control via messaging (repeatedly refusing to talk to us by phone) and said her resolution was we either let these misbehaving guests who admitted they broke the rules stay one night, CS will make a booking alteration and they'll leave--leaving us out of pocket for the rest of the month--or alternatively Airbnb will cancel the booking on our behalf.  We did NOT agree to either option and requested compensation, but Pam refused to listen. As we call CS to talk to someone live, Pam said she would go ahead and cancel the booking whilst we're waiting on hold on the phone to speak to someone live. Pam's messages were extremely rude and though we pleaded for her to wait multiple times, she went ahead against our wishes and while we're waiting to discuss a resolution and cancel the booking and refunded the guests ALL their money.  (An aside, we had to go to the property at 10p and get the guests out since they're at this point trespassing. We gave them 10 minutes and they were not out until after 11pm.)

To add insult to injury, Pam said afterwards she submitted this as a host cancellation (WHICH WE NEVER INITIATED NOR AUTHORISED!!!), meaning penalties are now imposed on us including blocking our calendar for the next month and the "host cancellation" will kill our multi-year Superhost status we worked hard to earn.

We're now out of pocket for an entire month booking, we'll have to absorb cleaning fees since the guests were in our flat this whole night and we are being unduly punished by the guests AND AIRBNB CS!

Is this justice?  These guests who admitted they'll do what they want got away with no consequences--they are no different from those who host big parties, except we managed to catch them before the loud music happens.  And we're being penalised by a rude case manager who entirely took the guests' side with no consideration for us and in fact said we should lose the Superhost status after she unilaterally cancelled the guests booking.

16 Replies 16

Many hosts complain about incompetent CS.  We found the only thing worse is a case manager who was rude, aggressive towards us and refused to even talk to us, unilaterally taking an action that was against our wishes so we get unjustly punished.

Is this what Brian Chesky meant by supporting hosts?

I don't know who the other moderators are, but is this something you can help us please? 

@Katie @Catherine-Powell @Liv @Stephanie @Nick @Quincy 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jo-and-Ivan0 "They ultimately threatened us and said they won't move on unless WE cancel their booking so they get all their money back (there were also threats of submitting a retaliatory review)."

I assume this was all via Airbnb messaging (aka in writing), since best not to talk to guests by phone (aka no record). 

@Fred13 the guests refused to answer our Airbnb messages and some of the conversation was by phone. As soon as they accused us of trying to scam them, we told them we would start recording the call and we have the audio files of their threats and confession they intended to play and record loud music. We also have the security camera footage.

We caught them before they could blast the music and asked Airbnb CS for assistance and God forbid advice.

All that evidence didn't seem to matter to the case manager. The greatest injustice isn't even about the guests.

Our bigger grievance is the wrongful actions of the case manager who took it upon herself--ignoring our reasonable requests to talk by phone--to cancel the booking.  We said repeatedly we didn't agree with either undesireable option (1-night with alteration or an immediate cancellation) she gave us and asked to discuss.  She also misrepresented the second option as Airbnb doing the cancellation, not us. We have been Superhosts for a long time and aren't stupid enough to risk a host cancellation!

While we were trying to escalate this by phone to halt her arbitrary decision, she went ahead and then wrote us she did this as a host cancellation with penalties.

@Jo-and-Ivan0  Was the issue that they booked under the long term policy so wouldn't have been due a refund of their month long fee?

I would think that you can get the host cancellation reversed, but you never know with Airbnb.

The 'crapshoot' that is the inconsistent decisions by  case managers is the spookiest aspect of dealing with Airbnb. Why I never, ever get them involved. 

my experience with case managers is recently very bad. They use a lot automated responses, which actually do not even fit to your case. also they get back to you after the guest already checked out. It's very bad recently. I guess we are on our own out here. 

Very similar to my experience...  

Terrible situation.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catherine-Powell   I hope you are reading this to see the atrocious way Airbnb reps deal with hosts.  

And how about the guy on another thread who says he's been waiting 8 months to get Airbnb to respond to a missing payout issue from a booking back in January?

Wow!!

This is outrageous!

Is ever Airbnb come back the way one was?

Carlota.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

I have waited as long as 1.5 years for missing payouts (and that is before COVID) despite numerous calls to CS. I just kept getting told it was a technical glitch that would be fixed within a few days and never was. It only got fixed after 1.5 years (and this was a total of three missing payouts) after I happened to stumble upon a sensible and sympathetic rep after having to deal with numerous clueless ones. Not okay.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Catherine-Powell I'm with @Sarah977 @Fred13  please note what is going on.....and this is why hosts will avoid C's customer service because they are winging it it appears....and it seems a crap shoot depending on which person who get. Help the host and all others.....this behavior is unacceptable. Thanks

Carlota27
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

Something similar happened to me, except that the police came to help.  Still trying to resolve my issues with Customer support as even when I offered the whole payment to be returned to the bad guests and they got away with their free stay, Airbnb is permitting them to leave a review that I can imagine is false and bad.  Wonder why CS is siding with bad guests and punishing hosts that work very, very hard to make it harming our so hard investments for some crazy bad people?  What is going on?  I am about to throw the towel with Airbnb!   

What @Sarah977 said was spot on...absolutely "atrocious". It's been a few days and none of the Community moderators apparently felt this was appalling enough to react. Radio silence.

@Lizzie  @Katie  @Catherine-Powell  @Liv  @Stephanie  @Nick  @Quincy 

A misbehaving guest admitted he planned to violate our house rules (loud noise from recording music, lots of people coming and going) and despite our warning, would not stop any of that if they stay. We called CS to ask for advice for a way forward and CS sided with the guests.

What do hosts need to do, wait until the shooting starts a la Orinda and call the police for an eviction?  We had pre-empted a serious violation and yet we're punished by CS.  How so?

We pleaded with the Case Manager on a power trip to NOT cancel and wait for us to talk by phone. Instead she repeatedly refused any discussion and unilaterally did a cancellation.  Not a cancellation by Airbnb, she initiated it as a host cancellation without our authorisation so our calendar is blocked for the next month and we'll lose our Superhost status.

It's been a few days and still no action is taken or updates available via Resolution Centre.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jo-and-Ivan0 

Really sorry you are experiencing this. I actually did react and send an internal note last week about your case to Airbnb's CS team. I gave them all the facts from your post and they came back saying you have an open case which is assigned and will update as soon as they can. I didn't come back with this as I didn't have any new information to add. I appreciate this isn't what you want to hear right now which is why I was waiting until I have something beneficial to add to the conversation. I will contact them again on your behalf today.

PS: As Stephanie is on maternity leave it would be the rest of us who will be monitoring the CC during the next few months.