Airbnb Closed the Profile Photo Loophole, and I'm Signing More Paper Leases

Airbnb Closed the Profile Photo Loophole, and I'm Signing More Paper Leases

I posted last week about how to view hidden profile photos by going incognito.  Unfortunately, it didn't take the idiots at Airbnb very long to close the loophole.  I can no longer view profile photos by going incognito.  

The last remaining way that I know of to view profile photos, is to see if the guest ever left a review for another host.  By viewing that host's reviews, you will be able to see a thumbnail of the guest.

Clearly this photo hiding idea is terrible and universally hated by hosts.  It doesn't seem sustainable.  If not changed, I would not be surprised to see a third party rating site emerge.  Since Airbnb won't let us have actual guest ratings, and now won't even let us see the guest, something will have to give.

We're now going to have to vet guests even harder.  We do video chats when possible and we simply won't go for shorter, lower dollar bookings.  Sometimes I'll meet the potential guest in person and show them the place.  We were already moving in this direction when we learned about how awful the host guarantee and claim process are handled.  Given the resources we have to put into vetting guests, smaller bookings are simply not feasible.  One interesting result of this: as I lean more toward longer bookings, and I have to go much further to vet a guest, it becomes less sensible to use Airbnb to book the room.  Airbnb has essentially forced me to go off their platform so that I can have meaningful communication with the guest, and multiple times now, the guest and I have simply decided to sign a paper lease instead of booking through Airbnb, saving us on fees.

70 Replies 70

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

Now I understand your meaning, opposite of what I thought originally.

Still, pending a global survey of Airbnb, I believe the primary attraction for Guests is the listing itself. It's the visual response to the listing which dictates if a Guest goes the next step to contact Host. 

In London, the most renown and probably most successful Host is a middle aged man called Peter. He hosts in a central location, St Pancras Clock Tower. Peter has  a fabulous flat and is normally booked months in advance.

Finally, by way of digression, re. 'Beauty' (as opposed to 'Beast') selling pizza:

a) If I was hungry for the pizza my first concern would be with the quality of the chef, Beauty or Beast same-same, just as long as it's a good chef!

b) If I'm overly attracted to the marketing 'Beauty' I very quickly lose my appetite for pizza! 

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Ben551 ... I'm not confused at all .. please don't make assumptions 😉 

It just happens last week, that I had some mails went back and forth before booking. After the booking I saw the picture of a man in his 70s or even 80s. I would definitely had changed my wording in the privous mails and had been more specific/helpful and didn't assume that he is well known with internet etc. (of course this is also prejudicial, then many elderly people are even more familiar with the digital world then I am).

Another good point from @Nick539 ... a picture could be very helpful for Newbies. And for me the picture have not to reflect the person, also other things could give hindsights about the personality.

And at least it shows me that the person is interested in the platform and this kind of traveling, had taken time to fill out the profile and does not only use airbnb for a cheap 'hotel'. Unfortunately many guests don't write something in their profile but at least they upload a picture (even if it's a flower, for me this shows, that the guest take care for his profile).

Just yesterday I had a booking request from a Newbie without any reviews, no text in her profile and - as I saw later - also no picture. This was no problem, as her mail was detailed and kind ..... but if this had not been the case I would have doubt to accept her ... with a picture it had been easier.

Jo13
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

@Mika0

Your profile picture inspired me to update mine. 🙂

Yes, you also being up a very good point. With us blind to who the potential Guest is, it can cause confusion with tone and how we should respond to them. Also since the block out of images, I've gotten a lot more inquiries from people who had just set up a profile same or within a few days, no reviews.  Now no images, location or full name?!? It is too much.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I have already run into Airbnb Scams with people using other people's profiles. In both cases the guest traveling had been thrown off airbnb. Photos help. 

Yep.  I had an Inquiry once from a gal who used a photo of a Dallas Cowboys football cheerleader for her profile photo.   I followed up with more questions.  She was not the cheerleader in the photo.  Fortunatley, she lost interest in our place.

Victoria225
Level 2
Humble, TX

Hello Airbnb,
I believe the change of the policy not to show the pictures of the guests will harm the good idea of hosting with Airbnb.
I feel extremely unsafe. It was always the risk to get strangers into the house, but it was at least something, at least we hosts could see who we are going to let inside our privacy.
I've got an offer to book my home. No reviews, no verified information except email, and no pictures. How can I let anybody like that inside my home, where I sleep?
If to lease a home it is a personal contact, background check, ID and credit history check.
Airbnb does nothing to protect the hosts.
It is scary situation.
Sincerely
Victoria

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

If anyone is interested to change his profilepic to the new 'airbnb-guest-style' ... the typo which one airbnb use is called 'Dubai'.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Mika8

Really into it.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Joek0
Level 2
Amsterdam, NL

A picture says a lot about a person, secondly you can ad more pictures to your profile to get the right impression across. You can only make a first impression once. 
I simply want to know who I'm dealing with. I had all kind of people staying at my place between the age of 18 and 70, hetero's, gay, lesbian, black, white, asian, latino's etc... But the most important thing of all is mutual respect and to, that's showing who you are and that you have nothing to hide.

I simply won't accept a booking without a photo!

Megan398
Level 2
Arcata, CA

I am severely disappointed with this move of Airbnb to not allow us not only access to a profile of a Guest inquiry, but also any further information about the non-booked Guest. It is simply dangerous. 

The main reason I became a Host 5 years ago (and Super Host) was that it was a transparent platform. Basically Facebook meets Hotels.com, which is how I used to describe it to those wondering what Airbnb was.

Locking out a potential Guests' profile information from the Host causes nothing but stress, and worry on both sides, making for a rough booking experience .

We are allowing Strangers into our Homes blindly! Or not as the case maybe. I've always been a strong vetter, steering clear from the "Dude I need a place to crash" crowd. Or the unsavory inquiries that were clearly dangerous.  (Potential Thieves, Under Aged Kids looking for a Party Space, Third Party Bookings ect)

Since becoming a Host, I've relied on the tone of thier inquiry as well as images.

After all, they can see all of the Host info, so we should be able to see theirs. At times I have taken a search outside of Airbnb (should there be anything that seems wonky) I was able to gain a deeper insight into a potential Guest. In some of those instances, I did book them and they were Great Guests. We both had peace of mind that there was a mutual trust, which is what Airbnb was built on.

Now, it is blind and frankly nerve wracking, time consuming process to vet and communicate with potential Guests. When gently inquiring to see a profile photo (due to the change) they can become agitated, confused or simply not respond. The Profile Photo Blocking has of course effected my booking numbers. 

It doesn't make any sense Guys, they can see our Information, we need to see theirs. For transparency, honesty and everyone's peace of mind.

PLEASE unlock this non-booked Guest Profile Photo Blocking and let us continue to allow our Booked Guests a unique and special Staying Experience which is why the choose Airbnb in the first place.