Airbnb Closed the Profile Photo Loophole, and I'm Signing More Paper Leases

Airbnb Closed the Profile Photo Loophole, and I'm Signing More Paper Leases

I posted last week about how to view hidden profile photos by going incognito.  Unfortunately, it didn't take the idiots at Airbnb very long to close the loophole.  I can no longer view profile photos by going incognito.  

The last remaining way that I know of to view profile photos, is to see if the guest ever left a review for another host.  By viewing that host's reviews, you will be able to see a thumbnail of the guest.

Clearly this photo hiding idea is terrible and universally hated by hosts.  It doesn't seem sustainable.  If not changed, I would not be surprised to see a third party rating site emerge.  Since Airbnb won't let us have actual guest ratings, and now won't even let us see the guest, something will have to give.

We're now going to have to vet guests even harder.  We do video chats when possible and we simply won't go for shorter, lower dollar bookings.  Sometimes I'll meet the potential guest in person and show them the place.  We were already moving in this direction when we learned about how awful the host guarantee and claim process are handled.  Given the resources we have to put into vetting guests, smaller bookings are simply not feasible.  One interesting result of this: as I lean more toward longer bookings, and I have to go much further to vet a guest, it becomes less sensible to use Airbnb to book the room.  Airbnb has essentially forced me to go off their platform so that I can have meaningful communication with the guest, and multiple times now, the guest and I have simply decided to sign a paper lease instead of booking through Airbnb, saving us on fees.

70 Replies 70
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Christopher187

How do you meet in person with the guest?

Do you exchange phone numbers?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Meeting in person only works if they're already in town, but video chats and tours of the space work nearly as well.  I generally use skype, but you have to be clever in exchanging contact info because Airbnb likes to censor things.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Christopher187 Thanks for following up on this!

Although I don't mind the no-photo thing*, I do rely on reviews, as well as the tone of the message exchange.  Are you saying that not only can we not see the photo, we can't see reviews the guest has gotten?

If this is true I'm glad my instant book settings require not only ID but a review from a previous host...

*I never post profile pictures on any sort of social media or public site that show my features too closely, and I don't always use a picture of myself, preferring most times to use a nice photograph I've taken of an inanimate object or place.  If I do post a picture of myself, I almost always have sunglasses on.  My one small attempt to keep some semblance of privacy, although I admit it's probably effective only in my imagination!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Christopher187@Ann72@Ricardo85.

I’ve deliberately kept Instant book as my setting, to have the extra fall back with security. I also don’t allow same day reservations, and require a minimum of two nights to assist with reducing guests, not from my city. I would change to a three day minimum before I went to one day minimum. For me, this is about getting genuine travellers who want a more traditional stay. I will monitor the new system with interest and much concern....

Me too. I'm instant book (So I'll always see the photo) and won't allow same day check-in and I have a two-day minimum.

I still think not requiring a photo for those who are not on instant book is a really, really, bad idea for both the host and the guest.

Russell126
Level 1
Olympic Valley, CA

I’m curious as why it is so important to see a photo of the guest? Do you need to approve of their looks before accepting a booking? What might you see in a photo that would prompt you to not accept a guest? For me it’s the Host feedback that matters, not anything a photo might reveal.

@Russell126

So what would your thoughts be on accepting this guest? Screenshot_20190128-143257.png

Yep - exactly. I've seen some photos that give me pause. Sometimes you can check and find the guest on instagram or Facebook and that will reveal a whole other set of clues about suitability.

Luckily I furnished my apartment very traditional. So it appeals to a slightly more mature crowd.

Holy Crap.!!!

I live alone with a 16 year old daughter, dont you think we have the right to assess who will be sleeping in our beds. For instance, if someone turned up with face tatoos, how do you think my daugher would feel? Kind of obvious isnt it. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Michelle-0

You can go into your listing and set it so that only those with a profile photo can book.

This means on booking if the image makes you feel uncomfortable you can contact airbnb and ask them to cancel.

I think many teenagers, particularly those in a place like cosmopolitan Brighton are probably a lot more tolerant. Likely if someone turned up with a face tattoo, she wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I have IB enabled and require non-newbie guests. All guests are asked to answer a few basic questions about their trip. These are useful filter/buffer tools and I've never cancelled a guest based on his or her photo. Having said that, I rely on profile photos to help me ascertain if I need to ask follow-up questions of half a dozen guys (or women) of 21 or younger who want to stay on my property. There are several colleges and universities in my area, and students like to get off campus for overnights of hanging out and drinking with friends. The only damage to my place has been after gatherings of this nature. While I've also had many young guests who were responsible and respectful of the space, if I see a bunch of bros in the profile photo, I'll want to know more about their plans. If it's a booking request and I get the sense that my kids and I (and my neighbors) will be in for a weekend of noisy partying followed by my having to scrub encrusted vomit from the toilet (or its general vicinity), I'll gently steer the prospects away from my place. If it qualifies for IB, I'll at least be prepared for possible extra cleaning time after they leave.

That's why it's important for me to see guest photos.

Exactly!!!

They are coming into MY home. I have provided them with a photo and a complete profile as well as my ratings and reviews. It’s about trust, connection and comfort. I don’t care what age, color, gender or “type” a person may — or may not — be, but I do care that they are honest and confident enough to do me the courtesy of showing me who they are, as I have done for them, when they ask to book a room in my home.