Airbnb Deactivated my listing

John5023
Level 2
Brentwood, MD

Airbnb Deactivated my listing

Has anyone ever had a guest throw a party at their home despite explicitly stating that events are not allowed in your house rules. I had this happen to me the guest refused to pay for damages and Airbnb then deactivated my listing because of a complaint from my neighbor is there any legal recourse for Airbnb not properly vetting their users?

9 Replies 9
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

So sorry this happened to you @John5023 

- If you run "party" & "damage" through the search feature, you will read of hundreds of hosts who have been dismayed to find their guests threw an unauthorised party 😞

- Terrible that the neighbor's complaint resulted in de-listing... You could try appealing; other hosts have reported being unceremoniously de-listed, then they were re-instated.... Sadly though, Airbnb may consider a party/nuisance to neighbors being too great a transgression to overlook? - You can try though... Trouble is, since the shootings at Airbnb party houses, Airbnb appear to want to be seen to be doing.....

As for Airbnb not vetting their users, it is a MYTH that they do that! They say they run (U.S.) guests through a database for the most serious crimes, (provided the guest has given their true name), but that does not mean that someone with no record of extreme crime will not throw a party! Sadly, it is THE HOST'S JOB to prevent parties, by being careful who they rent to, and checking the property for signs of mischief. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @John5023 

Hopefully Airbnb has only temporarily put a block on your listing,

I am not sure what you expect Airbnb’s vetting system such as it is (limited to mainly US for lead guest for criminal checks)  to identify oarty animals. How would it have picked up someone who wants to party?

As the STR business owner it’s our responsibility to vet our guests and set up our listing to help minimise the risk of guests who will party and disturb and upset neighbours .

Do you have CCTv so you can check that only those who have booked turn up/stay? Do you ask guests about purpose of their stay and carefully vet local guests? Do you have house rules that allow for quiet time and confirming those who bring additional guests or are noisy outside your agreed quiet time will have their booking cancelled. Do you have minimum two/three nights stay at weekends and key holidays?

Some strange myths seem to have taken hold during the this loopy year

1) Airbnb vets its guests.  Where did that even come from? And what kind of vetting would uncover a party plan, absent "Minority Report" style sci-fi technology?

2) An explicit House Rule creates a magical force field around the home that guarantees the rule won't be broken. More sci-fi tech we'd all love to have, but someone does have to be actively keeping control of the property and enforcing the rules. It's no consolation to your neighbors that you had a rule.

Legal recourse? I'd love to see a case like this on Judge Judy. Imagine the facepalms. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John5023 

Nobody has ever held a party in my ABB listing John because.....I live on the property!

Nobody has ever smoked in my listing because........ I have a cigarette smoke detector/alarm!

Nobody has ever run up a huge electricity bill because......I've installed ways to limit elect use!

Nobody has ever stolen anything from my property because......I am there to say goodbye!

If you put yourself in harms way, harm will happen John.

If you don't live on the property install a 'Ring' door camera to monitor entry activity into your property, and make prominent mention of it in your listing description. That will discourage the party bookings.

Install a cigarette smoke alarm in the ceiling, once again making prominent mention in the description what will happen if that alarm is triggered! That will stop smokers from taking liberties!

Install timers on heaters/air conditioners and water heaters to prevent over use. Here is how I prevent abuse of the bathroom heating.......

IMG20180302010810.jpg

It is no good hoping guests will do the right thing and adhere to your house rules to the letter.....they won't! You have to conclusively prove to them that the risk of breaking your house rules is not worth it!

Or at least take the opportunity to break your house rules out of their hands!

John, it is more than probable that Airbnb has suspended your listing from public view for a period of time....maybe 2 weeks to a month. It's Airbnb's way of saying they take neighbourhood complaints seriously. If your listing does not show up again in a general search contact support on.....

United States and Canada +1-415-800-5959     +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

........and ask for their help in getting you back to public visibility again.

All the best mate!

Cheers.........Rob

Hi Rob, Can you recommend a model of cigarette smoke detector I can purchase?  Is there one that will connect via smart things or Alexa? I'm in the Florida Panhandle and usually get my stuff off Amazon.

Thanks,

Bridgette

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bridgette40 

Hi Bridgette, Hope you are staying safe from the COVID threat!

I bought our alarm through Amazon 2 years ago, here was the listing for it at that time....

Cigarette smoke detector.png

I just did an Amazon search and it is showing as 'In Stock' at this time Bridgette although the price has gone up to $70 AU but delivery here in Oz is free!

This alarm is not WiFi and is not responsive to Bluetooth or Alexa.....but I don't tell guests that Bridgette. I tell them, if they smoke the alarm will not just let out a high pitched scream, it will alert me via my phone. 

That price of $62.00 was Australian, which means it costs about $45 US. For that money it is a good investment......nobody has been game enough to try it out since it was installed! 

A purchase I strongly recommend, it has saved me far more in cleaning costs....has paid for itself many times over!

Cheers.......Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What is happening is that Airbnb, thus far ran by 'kids' with La-Land ideas, are finally understanding the old 'strange' concept of personal responsibility.  Now Airbnb are also holding hosts responsible., while they should look in the mirror why they have allowed certain listings that have potential trouble written all over them. The adults in the room maybe are finally taking over the nursery and that is a good thing.

Maybe also Airbnb will start understanding also why hosts in general are holding them responsible for the capricious application of their Extenuating Circumstances and other irresponsible actions. Let us hope.

Bridgette40
Level 2
Gulf Breeze, FL

I just discovered my "Superhost" status today!  I'm very excited with all 5 star ratings.  I have had a few issues where people want to "bargain" with me or make a deal on price.  I don't generally want to give anyone a "bargain" unless it's off season for me.  It's most discouraging to me to realize that I cannot see the price that the guest has to pay, and that it's different that the pricing I see.  Is there a way to see what they see and what they are being told to pay for MY property?  I live in an area which requires AirBnB to pay the taxes up front on my listing and it looks like they're being added to the price that the tenant sees.  I cannot find the same numbers that the tenant sees anywhere.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bridgette40 

although your post is totally off-topic in this thread i am happy to answer:

option 1.

Go to your listings calender, select a time period.

Then choose "price calulator".It will show you in detail what the guest is charged, and in the next tab what your earnings are.

Option 2:

Go to one of your listing and simulate a booking as being a guest

https://www.airbnb.com/users/345971120/listings