Airbnb Fraud & Overriding Host Policy Without Consent

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbnb Fraud & Overriding Host Policy Without Consent

Dear Fellow Hosts, 

Something despicable happened this afternoon, I received an email from Airbnb that the guest cancelled his reservation and received a full refund, Over One month after his travel date, despite my policy being Strict. He never informed me he did not stay, I met him personally checked him in and we had a lovely conversation and a virtual tour for about 15 min. The guest left with the key. Even if he didn't stay, how would Airbnb cancel a reservation without consulting the host? I messaged the guest twice throughout his stay, he never replied. One day after his checkout, on 12th of April 2021 he sent a resolution request that he didnt stay and wanted his money back. How absurd is this? He completely blacked out throughout his stay and only informed me After his checkout he didnt stay. Even if he didn't, what kind of a reason is it for airbnb to clear my calendar and issue a Full refund without telling me! My cancellation policy is Strict, so I do not understand How Airbnb could cancel early April reservation, issue a full refund to the guest and not bother to even consult me or tell me in advance? Has anything like this happened to you? It is so absurd I messaged Brian Chesky. This is totally unfair to treat hosts like this and take advantage of super hosts. What do you think?

Thanks. 

Rose. 

20 Replies 20
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Rose422  You can fight this and if you don't give up I think you can win.  Just keep writing and insisting that the full refund was not in line with your policy and should not have been given.  Write to @Airbnbhelp on Twitter.  That's where I've always gotten the best responses.

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you. I don’t use Twitter but will surely follow up on resolution claims and wait to hear from Brian. I appreciate your response 

@Rose422 

Waiting for a reply from Brian

images.jpeg

That's so hilarious! 😂Thanks for your support 

Hi @Rose422 

You’re not alone.

It's happened all the times.

The top priority of hospitality and services industry is to ensure that every guest has the best experience possible.

It's out of your hand!

Happy Hosting 😊

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

It doesn’t even matter if the guest stayed or not. Airbnb needs to adhere to the policy in place. I’ve had guests not show up and the full payout still applied.

Thanks Pat, I agree and appreciate your support.

Wow, this is ridiculous! What is the point of any cancellation policy if they are going to hand out refunds like this? This was wrong on their part 100%. 

Thank Holly, I thought the same, I rarely post and this was my first time writing to Chesky 🙂 just thought to make sure this does not happen to other hosts. Totally unfair.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Rose422 This seems like it must be a mistake on Airbnb's side it simply does not make sense. Would love an update when you get one.

Jorge

Thank you Jorge, I will update you for sure. 

Me too please. I am still feeling that Guests are treated with more respect than hosts dispite all the new Host Board of Directors and new executive director of hosts or what ever it's called and so called open channels of communication. Still a LONG WAY TO GO on this issue of fairness and transparency for our issues.

Thought to post an update here as well since it went to Page 2...

Just to update y'all Airbnb rep was found to have made a mistake, management apologized, processed the refunded host payout and issued a $200 travel voucher. It was not disclosed whether the rep was fired but I can imagine actions were taken against her since it is a serious mistake. I made every effort to make sure other hosts do not fall prey for incompetent Airbnb staff like this. My resolution claim did not get resolved as I asked for a 10k compensation for overriding my policy, but just thought to share it's worth fighting for our rights until Airbnb starts treating hosts with the same respect as the guests. Happy hosting y'all.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I wonder if anyone is controlling all those CS reps around the world? Or anyone of them can just refund whoever he wants and whenever he wants just because he likes the customer's sexy voice?

@Rose422  fight back!