Airbnb Fraud & Overriding Host Policy Without Consent

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbnb Fraud & Overriding Host Policy Without Consent

Dear Fellow Hosts, 

Something despicable happened this afternoon, I received an email from Airbnb that the guest cancelled his reservation and received a full refund, Over One month after his travel date, despite my policy being Strict. He never informed me he did not stay, I met him personally checked him in and we had a lovely conversation and a virtual tour for about 15 min. The guest left with the key. Even if he didn't stay, how would Airbnb cancel a reservation without consulting the host? I messaged the guest twice throughout his stay, he never replied. One day after his checkout, on 12th of April 2021 he sent a resolution request that he didnt stay and wanted his money back. How absurd is this? He completely blacked out throughout his stay and only informed me After his checkout he didnt stay. Even if he didn't, what kind of a reason is it for airbnb to clear my calendar and issue a Full refund without telling me! My cancellation policy is Strict, so I do not understand How Airbnb could cancel early April reservation, issue a full refund to the guest and not bother to even consult me or tell me in advance? Has anything like this happened to you? It is so absurd I messaged Brian Chesky. This is totally unfair to treat hosts like this and take advantage of super hosts. What do you think?

Thanks. 

Rose. 

20 Replies 20

@Branka-and-Silvia0  And now they've just announced they are doubling the size of their CS staff!

What's two times terrible? Help me out on that math.

But hey, we'll only have to wait half as long now for incompetent service.

😂I heard that this morning! I am personally staying positive as airbnb is my main income for now 🙂  It's a platform many appreciate, just hoping they fix the few glitches. 

@Rose422   The whole thing sounds totally bizarre and way out of line. 

Do you know if they refunded the guest's service fees?

Hi Dave, 

Airbnb admitted their mistake, processed the host payout and issued a 200 travel voucher. At least they admitted their fault. Yes it looks like the agent issued a full refund. It was not disclosed what actions have been taken against the Airbnb rep but I can imagine she was let go. 

I actually had the same case recently too and me too I found it pretty odd but didn't bothered. I believe it's the airbnb service person who takes this decisions upon themselves 

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Just to update y'all Airbnb rep was found to have made a mistake, management apologized, processed the refunded host payout and issued a $200 travel voucher. It was not disclosed whether the rep was fired but I can imagine actions were taken against her since it is a serious mistake. I made every effort to make sure other hosts do not fall prey for incompetent Airbnb staff like this. My resolution claim did not get resolved as I asked for 10k compensation for overriding my policy, but just thought to share it's worth fighting for our rights until Airbnb starts treating hosts with the same respect as the guests. Happy hosting y'all.