Airbnb Host survey

Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb Host survey

Hello fellow hosts!

i have just received by email, and completed, a survey from Airbnb. 
How  disappointing to see that the questions are just scratching the surface and they  don’t really want our feedback or hear our needs. 

I would like to have the possibility of creating real surveys and post on these boards. 

So many points to discuss. I will start with a few for now and would like the list to grow with more useful tips!

1. Security ( real ID verification on both guests and hosts and mandatory ID pictures to match ID provided)

2. Add steps when booking a listing for guest to really accept and prove they have read the house rules. Provide more check marks boxes and provide hosts with more space for words and also check boxes to personalize with itemized important rules

3. Hire qualified people at customer service: when a host knows more than they do they are useless. When engaging with hosts through support chat and not by phone, They should also tread and understand the full thread before giving an answer that makes no sense.

4. have an accountability policy for Trust &Safety teams. In my experience they are above all, use their power wrong and are never accountable. They cannot be reached  or involved by phone. 

5. Come up with a real let policy that makes sense and takes a lot of stress from hosts. Airbnb operates globally and their let policy should be globally acceptable: only service dogs or animals  with real certifications are the exception. 

6. make sure all listings have short term liability policies in place. All hosts should check that and provide proof that they have a specific liability policy for their listing. 

7. vet listings before they go live and they are open to bookings

8. let the vetted hosts decide how they feel about the vetted guests and stop always taking the wrong side. Both guests AND hosts are paying you money and you should really listen more to the cores and the discontent of your business partners, the Hosts!

5 Replies 5
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Donata12 

Airbnb "surveys" are carefully crafted, deliberately structured and specifically targetted, to elicit the exact "data" they require for their marketing and PR purposes, their "Insights" reports, and the "statistics" they churn out in their regulatory battles worldwide. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together would believe a word of the results they provide - and many of them are so far-fetched and off-the-wall, that they're downright embarrassing. 

Your suggestions are excellent. None of them are ever going to happen of course, as each would require a level of effort, transparency or financial input from Airbnb. All concepts to which the company is highly allergic.

Just for the record, Airbnb don't consider hosts as partners, business or otherwise, and never have done. They make that crystal clear in their terms of service.. 

"If you choose to use the Airbnb Platform as a Host or Co-Host (as defined below), your relationship with Airbnb is limited to being an independent, third-party contractor, and not an employee, agent, joint venturer or partner of Airbnb"

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Donata12 

Are you able to screenshot and post the survey? I'm very interested to know what kinds of questions are being asked (as I'm obviously not part of the survey group).

I'm also finding myself disturbed (do read that as a gross understatement) that if, after 13 days of a "10-day safety sprint", this is all they've come up with in terms of addressing host-centric safety policy.

The absolute shabbiness (again, understating) with which hosts have been treated through this difficult time (let alone the thousands and thousands of words, voices, suggestions, and pleas that have already been written by hosts on this very issue for many months prior to the Orinda killings) has me utterly gob-smacked.

@Jennifer1421 sorry i cannot take screenshots because i have already clicked on the link earlier when i completed the survey..... 

OK, @Donata12 - thanks for following up 🙂

Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Susan17 

@Jennifer1421  thanks. i will send you the info later from my desk.