Airbnb Hosts of Hampton Roads

Daniel-And-Hyco0
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

Airbnb Hosts of Hampton Roads

Hey there, I started a Facebook group (book of faces.... in case Airbnb blocks the reference to the external website). It’s titled AIRBNB Hosts of Hampton Roads. Search and you should find it! I am trying to create an easier forum to connect, share resources, ideas, and information. 

I would like to creat a culture that unifies us as Airbnb hosts in the Hampton roads area. I feel this can protect ourselves from the very strict rules just put forth in Virginia Beach. 

a external page on a modern social media platform should make it much easier for us as hosts to communicate together. 

3 Replies 3
Faye-and-Jalal0
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi, 

I just received a letter from the City of a VA Beach with the new  ordinance that starts November 1, 2019.  
if anyone can help me I would appreciate it. 
first of all the 1 million insurance required.

AIRBNB covers host on that. Is this acceptable or must we buy additional through our insurance company? 

if AIRBNB coverage is ok how did I get a copy to provide the city?

I think I’m ok with the other things on the new form we must submit. 
thanks for any help. 

Linda513
Level 3
Hampton, VA

Hello, @Faye-and-Jalal0

Has anybody responded to you, yet? It doesn't look like it. I am no expert, but somebody needs to chime in!! In my opinion, and in the opinion of many that I have read on this forum and on others, the Airbnb provided insurance is NOT enough. First of all, the process to make a claim is very difficult and benefits seems to be applied arbitrarily. You must submit evidence according to very strict guidelines, usually before your next guest checks in. You must have photographs, receipts for replacement value (how could you determine this within one day, if you are booked? What if it is a couch, or a carpet, or your place burned down?) I have heard that smaller claims sometimes get paid, but larger claims (where it would count) do not. When the powers that be make a determination, there is no opportunity to dispute it, they tell you that the case is closed. This observation is from anecdotal evidence, however, not from hard fact. I suggest you search this forum and also Airhostsforum for comments on this topic.

Linda513
Level 3
Hampton, VA

Hello, @Daniel-And-Hyco0 

I just saw this post. I am in Hampton. I found the FB page, and will join. Did you know about the Meetup Group called Coastal VA Home Sharing Club. They are trying to do the same thing. We have met a few times, socially, usually in VA Beach or Norfolk, and attended a couple of city council meetings to support each other and have a voice. We also have webinars, sometimes, and discuss topics of interest or recent legislation. I will try to find a link and put it on the FB page, maybe. Thanks for doing your part to bring us together.

When I first started, I worried a little, but now I don't view anyone as competition. I tell anyone who inquires that there are hundreds of lovely listings in the Hampton Roads area, and that if my place isn't a good fit, I'm sure they'll find something they love. We are not the enemy!!