Airbnb Mythbusters!

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Airbnb Mythbusters!

I was talking to a friend this past weekend who is also a host. We got on the subject of misconceptions and myths that are perpetuated around Airbnb and hosting. Sharing some and hope that others will add what they have observed as well.  What myths do you wish would be busted?

1. Hosts are rich/getting rich off of guests. This one makes me laugh out loud. If I was truly "rich" I would not open my house to strangers for a fee. If I wanted to get into the hospitality business I would buy a hotel.  Many hosts need the income from their ABB to afford their home or other investments. Whether or not someone is (in a guest's perception) financially comfortable, its not an excuse to abuse their property. 

2. Its okay to have extra guests. Discussed here ad nauseum, I will once again make a plea for ABB to clarify that it is 100% not okay for guests to think that. Further I would love to see something in place where all guests must be registered and identity verified. 

3.  ABB should always be cheaper than a hotel. In some cases, perhaps. But if you are managing an entire house, condo etc., you have to think that it would likely cost MORE than a hotel to clean, heat, cool, furnish and supply that space. 

4.  I can get mail at an ABB. There are a lot of mail fraud schemes out there and ABB addresses should not be used to establish residency or have deliveries. Of course there are exceptions  such as when a guest has lost luggage or a passport, but no guest should expect to use an ABB as a place to get mail.

5. Hosts can't have cameras. In fact, hosts can have external cameras if they disclose them. Its not "surveillance" to quickly check a Ring doorbell when a neighbor complains about noise. Its within the rights of the owner of the property. Sensitive guests should read listings carefully to understand what is happening regarding cameras in the space. It is not okay for hosts to have interior cameras in personal areas but exterior, disclosed cameras are very common. 

6. I don't have to clean because the host charges a cleaning fee. It really depends on the house rules about check out procedures. Some hosts will not ask guests to do anything. Others will have a lot more extensive to do lists. Each space is different. Guests agree to whatever the terms are in that space when they book. 

7. The host gets the entire amount a guest pays to book. I. WISH. In fact, hefty fees are taken out. (See #1...hosts aren't rich in general.)

8. I can negotiate a better rate with the host if I take it off platform. While I am sure there are some hosts that do this, its best to be very careful as a guest.  ABB may take action when someone uses their messages to attempt to do this. Most hosts will not entertain this at all,. despite what travel blogs advise. 

9.  I can throw a "get together" for my grandkid's 6 year old birthday and it will be ok because no one is staying overnight and 6 year olds aren't unruly. Uhhhh....very unlikely that this would be allowed as ABB does not allow parties. Checking with a host before booking will help avoid issues. Probably best to book a party at Chuck E Cheese instead. 

10. I can have things customized to my preferences during my stay. Some guests might ask for certain kitchen items, types of bedding, etc. Though ABB is often a home that someone lives in, or has curated and set up for guests, its not possible to indulge in every whim for specific amenities. If a host is able to accommodate these requests, guests should see this as a huge favor and courtesy, not an entitlement. Likewise if a host can't provide these items, guests should not hold it against them in any way. This is a place to stay, not a concierge shopping service.

11. A "4" rating is okay because I never give a perfect score. In fact 4s across the board too many times can get a good host delisted. If you feel you simply MUST mark someone down because you are a "hard rater" either a) book a hotel or b) don't do it on the "overall experience" score. 

12. A host can see what I wrote in my review before they leave theirs.  Nope, both reviews are held until they are both ready or 14 days if one party does not write a review. Neither host nor guest can see what is written until they are both live or 14 days has passed. 

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

You've created another great post, @Laura2592.

- The guest limit displayed in the listing's details is the number of people that may stay in the rental even if the guest only listed and is paying for one person.

- The host has received the guests money once the payment is made, and also controls the refund process.

- Guests who have previously used Airbnb and traveled with their partner/spouse, may make reservations for unaccompanied stays for the partners/spouses, because the traveler doesn't have their own Airbnb account.

- Potential guests should ask for a discounted rate that fits their budgets, because the places they can afford are not to their liking.

- It is not stealing when a guest takes something, especially small items, from a rental since they forgot or broke theirs or like the one in the rental better than theirs, because the host can get more or won't notice what's missing.

- It is alright for guests to use utilities in excess or wastefully, because they paid for it, after all.

- When a host needs to remove a guest from a rental, Airbnb will do more than try to call or message the guest and cancel the reservation.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13

@Laura2592  Some of these are guest myths, and some are host myths - both come up a lot in the forums.

If I have to cancel for reasons beyond my control, my booking will be fully refunded. No, this is what travel insurance is for. 

All listings, including new ones with no reviews, have been vetted and verified by Airbnb, and are guaranteed to be genuine. Unfortunately not - inexperienced hosts often take listings live before they understand what they're doing, so a new listing might not have accurate descriptions or availability

If my booking gets cancelled at the last minute, Airbnb will re-house me. All guests are actually guaranteed in this scenario is a refund; in most cases, you'll have to find and pay for the alternative accommodation yourself. Definitely something to think about when booking a high-demand time and location.

If a review says something untrue, Airbnb will remove it. Actually the review policy specifically says that it does not moderate for truthfulness, only for violations of its Content Policy.

Hosting on Airbnb is an easy way to draw passive income from a remote property.  Actually it's a job that involves a lot of risk, labor, and skill, and a venture that's exceptionally vulnerable to regulatory changes and travel restrictions. 

Long-term guests can be evicted at any time, because an Airbnb booking is not equivalent to a lease. Check your local laws - many jurisdictions accept an Airbnb booking as sufficient proof of the right of tenancy, subject to the same legal protection from eviction as a conventional rental. 

I have a Security Deposit. We've banged on about this for years, but many hosts still don't know that the "security deposit" is fictional.

All Airbnb homes are self-contained properties dedicated exclusively to guest rentals. This is a more recent misperception, and while it's probably true for the biggest moneymakers, many Entire Home listings are actually someone's primary residence and contain their personal stuff. And of course, you always have to check the Listing Type and recognize that Private Room and Shared Room rentals are not homes that you'll have to yourself.

"I'm a xx-time Superhost, but/therefore..."  Congratulations on your achievement! Enjoy it while you have it, but don't worry about losing it. This distinction doesn't exist as a recognition of your excellence; it's just a behavior modification tool to keep you submissive. It doesn't make a difference to most guests, and it doesn't make your concerns resonate any more deeply to Airbnb (or to others in the host community) than they would without the little badge.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good thoughts @Anonymous 

My only discordance is regarding superhost! Congrats.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great post @Laura2592 

I have nothing to add, I think your post it was thorough on the matter!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Another myth ... AirBnB collects and pays all of the taxes due on a rental.  It is the responsibility of the host to research what taxes are due on a whole house rental property or speak to a tax advisor as to how to report the rental of a room in a private property.   AirBnB does not always have agreements with local municipalities  where they collect and disburse the taxes due.  They may have agreements at State or County levels, but not necessarily towns/cities, etc.  The host may still have to submit monthly or quarterly reports to tax administrations.  I am in NC, and I have to report taxes monthly, even though AirBnB collects that money and does not pass it through to me.  I file my report with a document that states that AirBnB has collected and paid the taxes that are owed by my property.  To end, AirBnB does not have my tax ID number, so I have no idea how the tax agencies know where (what property or owner) to apply the monies that AirBnB submits.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If I don't leave a review, the other party's review won't be published.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

That the Airbnb Host Guarantee will always cover damages by guest. 

That host can have a review removed when guest have broken rules, never checked in, caused some damage, or the review is untrue. (Most of the time its better not to make a claim for extra guest or minor damage and just leave a factual review.)

That check in and check out times are flexible.

If a date is marked out on the calendar it's available, or that host can change or cancel reservations without penalties.  

That host are collecting the local occupancy taxes or adding all these fees. 

That host have any private info about guest. 

That feedback and reviews aren't important. Reviews are the only reason Airbnb is so popular. Its the reason anyone can create an account post their listing in one day and start getting reservations. Who doesn't read reviews on Amazon or Best Buy?

That Airbnb prioritizes older listings. They give newer listings a chance, and prioritize them in the listings, as newer listings are more likely to be fully renovated, while older listings the host have taken the income for granted and learned how to cut corners as much as possible. 

That a host needs to be good looking, charming and great communication skills. All host really need to do is provide a very clean, well maintained and accurate listing. 

PS.. these are things I remind myself. Replace things sooner rather than later. Also you don't need great communication skills but don't be lazy if you are taking issue with a guest. I'm just a single dude so everything has to be perfect. What other host think of you means nothing. This is a platform where anyone can create their own listing, don't need permission from other host, and your success will primarily depend on you, which also may mean adapting and improving listing to stay competitive. 

This Myth buster should be on the front page of Airbnb. All of the conflicts arise from your top 5 issues in my experience. Thank you for this list!

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Great post, @Laura2592 :

Check-in/check out times are a suggestion from hosts.
    The times set by hosts are a hard limit on what you've agreed to arrive and leave by.  They help hosts to have breathing room to clean and prepare the space for the next guest. 
Jaquala0
Level 2
Girard, OH

Only 2 I had a problem with. 

1.) host do get over on guest if you worried about paying bills GET A REGULAR JOB. 

6.) host be charging $150-800 in cleaning fees but pay the company less so that’s also another way of getting over on people. 

@Jaquala0  I'd like to think that the customers can take the total cost after fees into consideration and decide for themselves whether they feel an accommodation is good value to them, before they book it. 

If you pay the rate you agreed to, and you got what was advertised, nobody has gotten anything over on you. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

You've created another great post, @Laura2592.

- The guest limit displayed in the listing's details is the number of people that may stay in the rental even if the guest only listed and is paying for one person.

- The host has received the guests money once the payment is made, and also controls the refund process.

- Guests who have previously used Airbnb and traveled with their partner/spouse, may make reservations for unaccompanied stays for the partners/spouses, because the traveler doesn't have their own Airbnb account.

- Potential guests should ask for a discounted rate that fits their budgets, because the places they can afford are not to their liking.

- It is not stealing when a guest takes something, especially small items, from a rental since they forgot or broke theirs or like the one in the rental better than theirs, because the host can get more or won't notice what's missing.

- It is alright for guests to use utilities in excess or wastefully, because they paid for it, after all.

- When a host needs to remove a guest from a rental, Airbnb will do more than try to call or message the guest and cancel the reservation.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"If I book an incredibly cheap listing, but it turns out to be cheap for a reason, I am owed (by the host, by Airbnb, by the universe...) a place in that town that is just as cheap, but better, for my vacation."