Airbnb Not Paying Hosts...Huge Problem

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Airbnb Not Paying Hosts...Huge Problem

So here goes. I'm not sure if Airbnb is allowing pre-paid debit cards as payment or what, but there are two instances I have, one pending for two months and one for one month, where Airbnb has failed to collect funds from a guest and thus, I haven't been paid after hosting. It has been escalated to collections department numerous times, and I keep being told by reps that they don't have direct access to the collection department so that I just have to "wait for them to contact me."

Who wants to wait 2 months for a paycheck? Airbnb's role is a that of a broker and they aren't remitting payments to hosts. The rep suggested I add a security deposit (which I had in the past) but then backtracked and confirmed that the security deposit wouldn't solve the issue since it isn't collected until afterwards.

NOT paying hosts is a huge problem. At best, several long term hosts like myself (3.5 years) will be taking our hosting elsewhere. No one works for free. At worst, I could only assume they will soon be facing a class action if this problem is widespread, as I assume it is.

In shore, check your pending payments and see if there is anything lingering in there and triple check those payouts.

In the meantime, I'm moving all my listings to HipCamp until they figure out a better way to collect and remit payments...

6 Replies 6
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Australian hosts (all or almost all of them ) waited 6-8 weeks for payments this Fall.

What!!??? Why?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Zappa0 how did you find out about it? Was it in pending transactions?

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

They sent an email saying they couldnt collect payment for one, the other was in pending

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How can they confirm a booking without taking payment?

Is that because they are new "guest", with fake credit cards?

Very worying 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Zappa0 I would assume this violates Airbnb's own Terms of Service? At least, I hope it does....Hosts are supposed to get paid on time for their services.