Airbnb Partial payment option

Chrystal11
Level 1
Houston, TX

Airbnb Partial payment option

Anyone that is thinking about using Airbnb Partial payment option don’t do it . I used that option to reserve a apt for June due to my new job I had to cancel my reservation. I contacted Airbnb informing them that I never got my refund I was told because I used the Partial payment option that was 50% of my payment that I was suppose to get back so there isn’t a refund BUT if you look online its not written up under Airbnb policy’s at all they are using the Partial payment option to take ppl money . I don’t understand how a company offers different payment option but only have a policy on one then say it apply for all Payment methods when it doesn’t . They ripping ppl off. 

26 Replies 26

@Irine5 There is absolutely no difference in how much money you are refunded. If you were suppose to get half back of the total amount paid and you chose to pay only half of the payment. Then there is nothing left to refund. If you had paid full you would have received half of it back.

Do you see. If airbnb gave you half back of a half payment you would get more back than a person who paid in full.

If it is strict cancellation policy you have 48 hours after you booked to cancel if you want all your money back including airbnb fees. After that and up until 7 days before check-in you will receive half back /minus airbnb fees. When less rhan 7 days left you will only receive the cleaning fee.

So you see. You did choose to only pay half of the mount and it is half of the full amount you will loose if you cancel. So no money left to refund. 

Irine5
Level 2
Cranbourne East, Australia

I understand what you're saying but this policy is so unclear and misleading. If I had known this, I would not have even booked via the partial payment option. I think it's ridiculous how it's outlined so vaguely and not stated clearly in the policy. I can't be loosing money because they didn't state it clearly.

Stefanie36
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Irine5- if you paid the full amount (say $100) or paid half (say $50) you still pay the same amount when the policy says you pay 50% if you cancel. That $50 you paid stays with the host. When booking, always look at the cancellation terms (if they are strict, this is what they are. 50% back after 48 hours and at least 7 days before checkin). It protects hosts from blocking off their listings (holding them for you) then getting stuck with zero if you cancel last minute and they can’t fill it. 

If you are friendly with your host, you *might* be able to ask them to refund you the amount IF they are able to fill it with other guests before that time.... expecting them to take the whole loss of income because you didn’t read is unfair to the host and if you get upset at them you can count on them saying NO (it is their right- you agreed to the policy when you booked).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Guests- I don't understand why there is so much confusion regarding partial payment/cancellations.

The partial payment option is simply provided as a convenience to guests so they don't have to come up with the full amount of the reservation all at once.

It is completely unrelated to the cancellation policy in place.

It says quite clearly, if you bother to fully read the cancellation policies, that they are based on the nightly rate of the accommodation.

If the full amount of the booking is $200, and you pay it all at once up front, and the cancellation policy is 50% refund, you will be refunded $100.

If that same booking is paid in 2 installments, and your first installment was $100, if you cancel, you will get nothing back, because you only paid for half the full amount in the first place.

The partial payment option is not some way to have the cancellation policy applied differently to you than to a guest who paid the the whole shot at once.

The cancellation policies are not based on what you paid, they are based on the total cost of your booking. And that is, in fact, clearly stated in the cancellation policy information.

Deena25
Level 1
Harare, ZW

The cancellation policy on AirBNB needs to say that it 50% of the ENTIRE cost of the flat. Otherwise, rightfully so, guests can and clearly have interpreted it as 50% of what was paid. It's completely misleading, and a very, very easy fix by AirBNB. 

@Deena25  It does say that. It says it is based on the nightly fee for the listing. That seems pretty clear to me. I think most guests simply don't bother to read that.

Lemuel9
Level 2
Sevierville, TN

Crystal do you really not understand something so simple?  So let's say your total amount for the stay was $100.  Your contract says that you would only get 50% of that $100.  You choose the partial payment option and pay just $50.  You then decide to cancel.  You are entitled to a $50 refund.  BUT you had ONLY paid $50 so far NOT the $100.  So where would your refund come from given that you hadn't paid the $100 to begin with?  You HAVE not paid what you want to get back.

One fact that is being seriously ignored and overlooked here on this subject is exactly WHEN the cancellation request is made.  For example, I'm looking to rent a place for a week from February 7,  and the rental contract states:  "Free cancellation until 4:00 PM on Feb 2. After that, cancel before 4:00 PM on Feb 7 and get a 50% refund, minus the first night and service fee."  Obviously, if you request a refund on or AFTER February 2nd, you get, as stated "a 50% refund, minus the first night and service fee.

BEFORE February 2nd however, a FULL REFUND will be returned to you. 

That is as clear as it can possibly can be stated.

Can't believe some guests are still arguing that there is a different policy or refund amount depending on how you paid.

Hi,

Is there a setting I have to turn on for guests to be offered this feature?  Or is it automatically offered if the reservation meets the criteria listed earlier?

@Kevin2067  It isn't something a host has any input on. We can't choose to offer it or decline to have it offered.

What about when you receive an automated email stating the exact amount you will be refunded and through several messages they confirmed the exact date you should expect that refund.

Is there any liability and trustworthiness at airbnb at all ?