Airbnb Plus Program Nightmare

Jeff471
Level 3
Scottsdale, AZ

Airbnb Plus Program Nightmare

Is it just me or are others absolutely stunned at how poorly managed the Airbnb Plus program is?

Apparently making phone calls to Airbnb regarding the Plus program is a complete waste of time as all the customer service agents do is 'send an email to Airbnb Plus team' where it sits unresolved.

First and foremost, the Airbnb Plus program for me has been horrific. It all started with the initial visit. The person they sent did a terrible job. It took FOUR HOURS to inspect a 3br/2.5ba townhome. I had soooo many issues but they were trivial AND some of them weren't issues.  For example, the reviewer noted an issue with Wifi.  He didn't actually use the Wifi credentials to test the speed but he noted it as an issue so that I could take the screen shot. That's just being lazy.  Another example, he submitted six issues for the same thing: not having four pillows on each of the three beds. For some reason he felt that each bedroom needed to be called out twice for the same problem. Finally, he dinged me for not having a guest book and to highlight the issue he...submitted a picture of the guest book. LOL. But, whatever.

In any case, ALL of the open items were FIXED and ACCEPTED by Airbnb Plus and I was told to schedule the final photographer, which I did. As part of the email regarding the photo shoot there was clear messaging this was NOT another inspection, however, that wasn't an issue because all the issues had already been resolved. Now, after the photographer came out I expected to see some awesome photos from the professional photographer. Nope. I haven't seen or heard anything. And when I called about this I was told Airbnb Plus would decide what photos to use, not me. What I did get was a message telling me I need to fix 13 issues!  These were the SAME issues that had already been fixed and approved by Airbnb Plus otherwise (I assume) I wouldn't have been told to schedule the final photographer. I was pretty livid when I got this message so I called and complained. I was told an 'email will be sent to the Airbnb Plus' team. No one has responded.

So I get yet another message (automated I assume) telling me to fix the items. Against my will I went into the system to RESUBMIT the evidence for fixes. But, again, I get stuck on the absolutely stupid process they have for fixing the 'Check-in instructions' issue. You can't actually submit a fix like the other items.  An error messages tells me to 'Please publish a check-in guide to submit this item for review.' Guess what? There isn't a 'publish' of anything. There is a text field for this information. And, guess what again? THE INFORMATION THEY WANT IS ALREADY THERE! In fact, I had to call customer support during this initial fix process to resolve this.  In any case, it had already been submitted and accepted as resolved.

At this point I hate this program and I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone. It has caused me A LOT of grief and frustration. I placed another call to customer support today only (again) to be told all they can do is send an email to the Airbnb Plus team. As I outlined before, that's a useless black hole.

43 Replies 43
Francesco602
Level 10
Naples, Italy

It's the worst program ever. It's a shame. I agree 100%.

Francesco, did you leave plus or did you stay? I have had the same issues for months and can't get someone out to update my photos. They didn't picture half of my home and I have nowhere to add photos of the best spaces like the rooftop deck and other areas. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Jeff471 Just came across your post - I wonder why it failed to get any comments initially... I am hearing such reports again and again and again. At this point, I'd love to hear from 'Plus' hosts who think well of the program and are glad they joined. So far, I only heard from one such host, and that was months and months ago (and she had only recently been accepted, and this was when it was first rolling out and Airbnb appeared to be taking it more seriously and acting like the program and the hosts and their listings mattered). 

So, any 'Plus' hosts here who are happy with the program and glad they joined?

Now that I am a fully approved member, aside from a nicer listing page it's difficult to determine what the benefits are.  I did see an uptick of bookings but I suspect that was because I hadn't bumped up my nightly rates after my Plus page was shown.  However, after adjusting the prices up (being able to charge more is part of the Plus sales pitch) the number of bookings has tapered off. I know I could use the Airbnb automated pricing system but I have no idea if it takes into consideration Plus listings or just all listings in my area; I don't want my rates to be low-balled to compete with non-Plus listings.

I know there are a class of travelers that want a SuperHost and/or a Plus home and are willing to pay extra for them but it's difficult to truly measure what the net benefit has been. Perhaps Airbnb could improve reporting for Plus members...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

So @Jeff471 your post is from 2 months ago.... what happend in the meantime? Did you get Plus status? any changes?

Carol28
Level 2
Saint Austell, United Kingdom

Reject it!! We are better without the plus program.

Yes, I was approved. Please see my other post to read my comments of what I have observed since then.

Carol28
Level 2
Saint Austell, United Kingdom

Dearest Jeff

I feel your pain.

I can only recommend that all hosts REJECT AIRBNB PLUS!!!

I too have had issues with inspection and the responses from airbnb have been trite and useless...making incorrect and hurtful remarks about my space then saying they will pass my comments to the design team and hoping I have a nice day!!! Appalling short sighted idiotic. 

Rant over but it has really ruined my experience with airbnb which til this day has been amazing. So sorry to hear about your experience and wish you well. Carolx

Giorgio215
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Hello

yesterday I delete the picture of the cover on Airbnb plus because I don’t like it ( it’s the picture of the street so I want to change it with another one inside the apartment), than after this my ad it’s not available so no one can book it or see it . Some one can help me? , the assistance sent a request to Airbnb plus but I don’t know when they will fix the problem 

thank you very much

How did you manage to remove any photo? Airbnb plus big brother won't let you manage your own site.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

You think THIS is bad? Wait until you start getting guests who think they are "plus" guests... a little better than everyone else! LOL I cringed when I heard about the airbnb plus thing. No way, no how!

Michel114
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

My experience has been very similar to that of Jeff‘s, I just sent a message to the one Airbnb plus representative that actually reached out after months and months and months of requesting clarification of what they needed me to change in my room. I let her know that she should remove me from candidature for AirBnB plus because it has been a continuing nightmare.

Melissa9
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Any chance you have an email for a real live Airbnb Plus representative?

Jeff471
Level 3
Scottsdale, AZ

FYI. I haven't had a booking since I replied to the questions above on 11-09-2018. I did, however, LOSE a booking.