Airbnb Plus - To join or not?

Airbnb Plus - To join or not?

Hi all,

I just received an invite to the Airbnb Plus program. I remember looking into Airbnb Plus when it first debuted earlier this year and thought it sounded like a great concept. I looked into applying and it wasn't available in my area. Well, apparently it must have just started becoming available in my area because I got an invite. Was super excited!

But then I've started reading others experience with Airbnb Plus and had some concerns. It seems that I would lose control over my listing and am very troubled by this. 

Currently, I am booked beyond my wildest dreams and am probably the most sought over home in my area. We built our home with the short-term rental concept in mind and our guests are extremely happy with the product that we have produced. We spent a ridiculous amount of money on design and photography and it has paid off. We've taken great care in accurately describing our listing in detail as well so that that guests know what they are going to get and we have achieved 100% 5-star reviews. 

So with that said, these are my concerns:

1) It seems that my current listing basically gets taken down and replaced with a new one. My existing photos go away and the description turns into an "eye-catching" 2-3 sentences rather than descriptive detail. I'd be happy if these new photos were as good as they are now, but I don't think a $150 photographer is going to do a good job. So basically, I lose the photos that have done a fantastic job of showcasing my property and my description that accurately describes the property in detail. Is that right?

2) So far I haven't had to cancel on any guest and it has been a fantastic experience with all my guests. I again attribute this to my detailed description and rules for the property so that we don't end up with guests who would not be a good fit. If I have to start declining people because we end up with "bad" bookings, what happens to my listing? Am I forced to stick with the $150 pictures that Airbnb took, or can I revert my listing back to the one that I (and my guests) have been extremely happy with?

3) I think its a fantastic idea and I'm very happy to have Airbnb come to my home and ensure that I'm qualified for their "elite" program. I'm very happy to pay Airbnb for this service and to get the "Plus" award badge on my listing so that potential guests have assurance of what they are getting themselves into. But is there any way I can just keep control of my listing while being part of the Plus program?

I'd love to hear from both sides. I've read many negative experiences, but I'm hoping there are some good ones as well. I'm currently extremely happy with my guests, price point, occupancy rate, etc... so I'm trying to see the upside but its hard to see!

Nate

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Nate9  said: I'm currently extremely happy with my guests, price point, occupancy rate, etc... so I'm trying to see the upside but its hard to see!

My theory if it isn't broken don't try to fix it. It's also going to cost you money to update your place. They will give you a list of must haves that you're going to need in place to qualify. I am in the group that think the whole program is a fiasco and think it should be avioded, but what do I know ;D

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Nate9 ,

I took a look at Your listing, the content and the quality of Your pictures. Everything is perfect, exept pic no 26 which shows all kind of different colour bedsheets.

As You sayed You're booked beyond Your wildest dreams (at $600 a night), what exactely do You expect to become any better if You join the PLUS program?

As You sayed You're booked beyond Your wildest dreams (at $600 a night), what exactely do You expect to become any better if You join the PLUS program?

No idea. That's why I'm looking to get feedback on the three questions in my original post from Plus members who have had a good/bad experiences with he program.