Airbnb Plus guest lied about our place

Sarah1372
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Airbnb Plus guest lied about our place

We are Airbnb Plus superhosts with 148 5-star reviews. We have had so many wonderful experiences and many guests have said ours is the best Airbnb they've stayed in. Recently, we had a guest (with 0 reviews) who showed up when I was out and then immediately left and cancelled. She said our place was terrible and should not even be on Airbnb, and was the worse she had ever "been with". She was horrified to find there were chickens walking around (our listing clearly states that our chickens roam the property) and she claimed they could carry Covid-19. She accused us of misrepresentation and demanded her money back from Airbnb but thankfully they upheld our cancellation policy terms. However, she left a 1-star review claiming the rental smelled like a chicken coop which is absurd and untrue. Not only had my cleaner and I just been in to verify everything was perfect, we adhere strictly to Airbnb's Covid-19 cleaning terms. She also claimed the yard was cramped (it's 7,000 SF) and there was absolutely no privacy (it's totally private - but like any suburban neighborhood we do have neighbors over the 6' fence). In my initial correspondence with her, I tried to understand why she thought we had misrepresented our place but she wouldn't say. She just wanted to accuse me. It was the strangest, most shocking and hurtful experience we've had. I suspect she was trying to make our place sound horrid in order to get a full refund, and when that didn't happen she took out her frustration in a bad review which included falsities. I am racking my brain to understand how this could happen. I think it's wrong that a guest could essentially lie about their experience and reduce the host's rating and because their review doesn't technically violate Airbnb's review policy, the host has no recourse and has to suffer the consequences. Also, if this guest truly did feel our place was misrepresented in the photos, there's nothing I can do about that because we're Airbnb Plus. Plus sends their own photographer and I'm not even allowed to be present. (In the past we did have photos of our chickens on the listing, but the Plus photographer chose not to shoot them.) Plus uploads the photos and I cannot update or change them. We recently renovated the bathroom to the tune of $15,000 and we can't even show it in the listing! It's absurd. I guess we could go back to regular Airbnb (not Plus) but we are one of 3 Plus listings in our city and we take pride in it. It's just super sad to me that this can happen... I think Airbnb should work harder to mediate disputes between hosts and guests, especially when one is a Superhost. 

11 Replies 11
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I got invited for Airbnb Plus and turned it down, once I found out about the control you lose with the photography, descriptive text...just about everything. My advice is to forget about the pride angle and take control of your listing. Your listing is so nice, I’m sure you will be booked solid regardless.

Thank you, I'll consider that!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I got invited too @Sarah1372 and turned it down for the same reasons @Pat271 turned it down.  I had seen Plus listings with typos in the text and that would have driven me crazy. 

You're still at 4.97, and soon this guest's inconsequential little review will be swept aside by more positive reviews like all the ones you've gotten before.  Imagine if it were your 5th review instead of your 145th.  That would have a much harsher effect on your overall number.

I have to laugh at a New Yorker being sniffy about a "cramped" back yard, though.  

Thanks, Ann. It's true, our rating is still high so I shouldn't really complain - but it's the principal, I guess. We are fortunately able to alter the text in our listing so the typos would be the host's doing. The Plus photo team is supposed to get in touch so I'll see if they do plan to update the photos at some point. Thank you so much for your response! 

Donatella26
Level 10
Mondolfo, Italy

@Sarah1372 once a time every host meets "him" or "her": the most incomprehensible guest wich thoughts you'll never understand. This has been your turn!! Don't care too much and go on: you've a so lovely place and everyone can see you're a Superhost

Thank you, @Donatella26 !

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Sarah1372 I agree AirBnb should do more mediate disputes between hosts and guests. That could be a perk of being a superhost. I have another post about a guest who doesn't believe in giving 5 stars. I have it in writing that he said everything was great. I have two other guests that gave me all 5's and 4 overall one said it was absolutely perfect! Being a superhost is just a title you have to defend so it looks good on your listing. Airbnb doesn't really support the hosts anymore. It's sad but true they side with the guest always and err on the side of profit even when they are breaking their own rules. They wan't more hosts but don't offer protection or support. If you look at their twitter page they even promote bad guest behavior. I don't know if I would trust them to take control of my listing but I'm sure being a + host gets you a lot of extra bookings. Although I would think in Palo Alto you don't really need extra help with that. 

Robin925
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

I have experienced this recently a few times. It seems pandemic has brought out the worst in some people or perhaps there is a somewhat different clientele traveling within Airbnb. With many guests no longer traveling for leisure seems that for those who do travel, we are now the Host, the Mother, the "Maid", the Psychologist, the Homeowner... and some people even looking for a quarantine partner. Kind of sickening, yet this kind of guest, no matter if they breach your house rules, or community standards, still able to review...I'm still at a loss, a few really bad experiences lately and took my listing down for now, till I can be sure the clientele live up to the standards.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Sarah1372 I think your space is so beautiful and chickens would be a special enhancement on the property. Have you got more bookings or raised your prices being plus? What is the benefit? If it is only pride and has no monetary value I would want to take control back myself. The fact that you cannot post photos of your renovated bathroom and have to put it at the top of the text description is not representing your property at its best. Airbnb needs to do better here.

Hosts know best what makes their property special and Airbnb needs to recognize this. There needs to be a relationship between the photographer and the host when the photoshoot is happening and a way to upgrade photos after the fact. It's an oxymoron of what Airbnb stands for really.

Jorge
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Sounds as if she would have been a pain if she had stayef, @Sarah1372.  Sorry that she got to leave such a fake review.   Your listing is beautiful and clearly mentions that "..You might catch sight of our chickens and cats strolling by.”
I like your response to her, plus the great reviews from your real guests squarely points the finger back at her.
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Sarah1372  I have chickens too! Most guests comment that they love them. I think your right about her just wanting a refund. Surprising that someone who loves nature and national parks wouldn’t like chickens. Since I have both in my backyard hopefully she won’t book here. Lol