Airbnb Plus now charging 5% additional to the host?

Airbnb Plus now charging 5% additional to the host?

I just received any invite for one of our properties to join Airbnb Plus and they said that there would be a new 5% fee for any booking when it is qualified for Plus. This would be an increase in our host fees from 3% to 8% to be on Plus... I am not sure I see the benefit of this much cost. Has anyone agreed to this? Does anyone know if there total profit increased as a result?

5% additional seems steep and it seems to be focusing on Airbnb profit vs focusing on great hosts and communities. Developers and large businesses will have no problem building in this 5% to get additional bookings but established hosts and listings not sure it is fair or worth it.

Our current plus listing is not charged this fee and has been on the program for 1-2 years... not sure of why the change occurred.

8 Replies 8
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Patrick-and-Karen0 is your other listing working out for you as "plus"? Are you seeing higher occupancy and able to charge higher rates? If so, this 5% maybe well worth it

Hello, it is tough to determine because they are so different... the one has ~300 reviews and is a 1BR and the other is the 2BR with only ~50 reviews. So it is difficult to determine. Does anyone know when Airbnb started charging the 5%? Why was this decision made?

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

I was invited a year ago and only had to pay for the photographer. So far as I am aware, my commission is unchanged. For now. If I get another booking this year.

Yeah, that is how our first Plus Airbnb was set up... wondering when and why they made this change? It does not seem like it is in the best interest of the host or the community. It makes it easier for new hosts or product developers to be on the plus program just by paying more...

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Patrick-and-Karen0 ,

I've just had a word with the team and there have been no changes to the program as described. The CS team is awaiting your contact to get this sorted asap.

Many thanks for raising the issue,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi Stephanie,

Do you have a number of someone that I can call? I would like to make sure this is cleared up.

Patrick

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya,

You can chose a way to contact CS from here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact-us/topic

Emails etc are easier to handle during this exceptionally business time for the phonelines.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Patrick-and-Karen0 @Stephanie 

As far as I'm aware, there is now an extra 5% fee on top of the 3% for new Plus listings, at least in some markets.  Earlier Plus listings were offered the lower rate, as part of the Airbnb Plus Advance Incentive Program, in order to get the initiative kick-started. I think it was around the autumn of 2018 when Plus arrived in Nashville so it does sound from the dates you mentioned as if your regular 3% fee for that has been grandfathered in. It may or may not be the case everywhere, but I do know that newer Plus hosts in some Florida markets, for example, are now being charged the full 8%. May be different in Nashville, but I'd say that's probably unlikely.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do ;))