Airbnb Pressureing me to Refund on Strict Cancellation Policy

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Airbnb Pressureing me to Refund on Strict Cancellation Policy

I assume I am not the only one.  I have had multiple instances where a guest basically makes a reservation on a strict cancellation policy listing without reading a single detail of the listing or how airbnb works.  I have a strict cancellation policy so that when guests decline to do even their tiny part of the responsibility for all this, it does not fall back on me.  Then, a guest who did no part of their responsibility complains, and Airbnb calls me asking me to refund the guest for a paid stay.  Each time I tell them absolutely not.  After they went over my head a couple times, I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau.  They responded to those complaints, apologized, and said it would not happen again.  Instead, each time, they waited until the BBB closed the complaints and went back to business as usual.

Yesterday I got another call like this.  I had a guest last week who did not read the listing at all, thought he was paying $27/night for the entire house! He also listed his children as adults so he could make the booking apparently.  He did not check the check in instructions at all either.  Basically, he looked at some pictures (the first pic is the room with beds in it, not a house pic or anything) and clicked book without messaging, asking questions, or reading listing.

Stuff like this is EXACTLY why I have a strict cancellation policy.  There is ZERO reason I should have an unbooked room for two weeks because this guy has zero sense of responsibility.

So Airbnb calls me up, and asks about refunding him.  I explain all of the above, they confirm the guest had no complaints about the listing, only that he made a mistake (by not reading ANYTHING).  I tell them I have already filed complaints with BBB about this issue of asking for money back on strict cancellations, and they say ok, and it is settled and I will see the payout.

Then today, I get a message from Airbnb through app, again pressuring me to refund the money to this guest. In the first two messages, they imply (8) times that I am not 'fair' or 'human' for not immediatly refunding the money, no joke, (9) times.  See messages below:

Airbnb Rep: Hi Tony,
I’ve raised this case with my team and my manager, and after careful consideration, we believe that we should be issuing a partial refund to the guest. One of Airbnb’s values and commitment is to provide a *fair*1 resolution to everyone.
Since your guest did not stay in your listing for the full 15 nights and the fact you can still be able to get other guests who can fill in those dates, then *it’s just and right that they get a refund*2&3. Another point is the fact that Airbnb operates globally which maybe communication barrier depending where the user comes from. This means that an English terminology may be totally different from someone who came from the Middle East, Europe or Asia. We would like you to understand that there will be cases like yours where we should be *considerate*4 of the situation.
With that being said, we would like to propose 50% refund on the nights not spent and let us take care of refunding the rest to the guest.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Rep

Me: Rep, I was very clear, and I'm now filing another complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the FTC for violation of terms of service. A strict cancellation policy is meaningless if I have to pay out of my pocket every time a guest ignores all house rules and listing notes.

Rep: We understand your point and you have to understand that the reason we are proposing this is because this is what we believe is *fair and human thing to do*5&6. This does not happen everyday nor something that you encounter on your reservations. Knowing that someone unintentionally booked the place which have a different understanding to what our listing says is an honest mistake.
We just try to inform our host about this *because most host would rather not take something when they have not rendered any service to someone*7. We would still refund the guest with the amount that we think is *fair*8 and will leave your payout as it is.
Thank you for your time and we are considering this case closed."

I mean look! This is some seriously bent virtue signaling!  I grew up with a mother who rocked the guilt trip, have actually went to counseling, I know what a guilt trip looks like.  They say here that I am not fair, human, just, and that I'm essentially a thief for not refunding that money because the guests chose not to stay.  Is this not HORRIBLE?

I would think if Airbnb is at all concerned with being 'Fair,' they would start by honoring the terms of service I choose, like when I choose a strict cancellation policy.  Me, I'm never going to see these particular guests again.  There is ZERO benefit in me refunding them money.  Airbnb hopes to make money off of them in the future, so you would think if Airbnb wants to issue them a refund against the terms of service that Airbnb would do that on it's own dime WITHOUT PRESSURING A HOST TO DO IT FIRST SO THEY CAN SAVE MONEY.

I know this happens a lot, so if anyone of you would like to be heard on this issue, you can contact Better Business Bureau and add to the complaint, this really needs to stop.

The BBB complaint # is 12515809, you will need to contact San Francisco BBB.  Thanks for reading, anger rant over, just so tired of bad virtue signaling from Airbnb...  Sigh.

39 Replies 39
Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

also, they mention communication barriers:  the guest is from the same town the listing is in!

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Tony134, I'm not sure why Airbnb offers a strict cancellation policy if they aren't going to honor it!  50% would be extremely generous, plus the assumption you can rebook the room is totally speculation (Here in Boston that would be tough during this slow season).  I love that  you took it to the BBB! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tony134 I think it will be crazy making to expect ABB to uphold any cancellation policy. As you've noticed, they're in the business of trying to appease the guest over host. It's funny that I've never heard a host talk about how excessively generous ABB was about an honest mistake problem that a host had. They think hosts will learn and improve from being held accountable but they don't think the same about guests...

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Given the type of listings, all 8 of them, you provide, @Tony134, with over 330 mostly positive reviews, I would imagine that guests are finding value in what you offer.  

I also have a strict cancellation policy for specific high demand periods related to specific events.  I never think it is okay to receive payment twice on my listing.  I offer to refund if the space is rebooked.  Most of the time that satifies everyone.

I find it interesting that the message from Air BNB contains information that Air BNB will add to the refund from their own funds.  They must really want guests to be satisfied or at least not unhappy.

I used to offer refund when my place is rebooked but after getting taken advantage by CS who gave guests 50% refund without consulting me for a non essential amenity issue I decided to keep my money. What goes around comes around. Airbnb never fails to call me and beg for a full refund on strict cancellation. I will not allow it ever again, sob stories, guilt trips, and all.

@Tony134

Every time I see hosts talk about Airbnb "pressuring" hosts to do something that is totally against Airbnb's OWN policies I get a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks for sharing........ now I know what to expect IF (when) I face a similar situation, and I'll be ready.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I just sent you a personal message 😄

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What would I have done? Tell Airbnb, I will try my very best to rebook the days with someone else and for the days I do succesfully re-book the room, I will refund the guest 'my' 50% half. Every time this has happened with my listing, Airbnb thought it was a grand idea and fortunately, the place got re-booked, so it all became a moot point.

As for Airbnb, I found the whole exchange with them and their stand very enlightening.

Needless to say, the guest was indeed a royal fool to even think he was getting a whole house for $27.

If I had a conversation such as that, I would no longer be listed with airbnb.  Why would you let any company treat you like that?

• Inbox
     Hi,    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful idea.  I will have to keep a book with great ways of handling situations that may arise.
    Cheers  Kathie

Mary-Rose1
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

So glad to read this. I also have changed to "Strict" becUse at one stage I had no restrictions, and I had people booking and then pulling out at the eleventh hour. I could have booked my accommodation through other sites but blocked the dates. They don't realise and they should, that we too are ru ning a business. We can't afford to lose business as I'm sure " they" ( Airbnb) don't like to lose business. I had a case where I double booked with a client who got his dates wrong, I subsequently cancelled his reservation and now that reads on airbnb that I cancelled 15 days before his arival, but he booked it 15 days before.ABNB didn't contact me to 

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

I have experienced this. Customer Service making it up as they go along. Once a guest cancelled and the booking record was totally deleted. I was told that a team member had “gone off reservation”. It took a lot of effort to recover what I was due. Another time I was sent an email (I only use the app) and told I had 12 hours to reply or the guest would be refunded in full. I now have email activated on my phone in case this happens. Another time I told a guest I would refund if rebooked. 2 of 5 days was rebooked. The guest received 100%. Airbnb  told me I had promised to refund

I sow email days after a decision was made without me -saying rep was trying to reach me and made a decision without me in 1 hour.  No voice messages left. I asked have you left a VM? How can you prove you were trying to rech me in 1 hour if no voice messages? answer was "the case has been closed". I asked someone else to reopen it.

What happened in this case?