Airbnb Profile Picture Guidelines are not Enforced so it becomes the hosts issue.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Airbnb Profile Picture Guidelines are not Enforced so it becomes the hosts issue.

Last week I got burned and ended up refunding an entire three-day stay to get the guest out. I should have known better his profile picture was of him and friends flipping off the camera. 

To instantly book my cabin, I require: 

Government ID and profile picture. 

Also, my instant book pre-booking message reads: 

"Reservations booked must be booked by the person staying. Also, please provide your reason for visiting, e.g., visiting family, heading to Yosemite, etc."  

So yesterday when I got a booking showing a cat picture and no reason for staying, I got nervous. I called Airbnb they said my only option was to cancel the reservation. And not to worry because I get three free cancelations. I was afraid if I let her know that she needed to update her profile picture to meet the Airbnb guidelines, it would make her mad, and I would end up paying the price. So after asking the CS rep about ten questions, one being, is this the only option? I went ahead and canceled the reservation and lost one of my free cancelations. 

She was furious. Then I turned around and rebooked the listing, then left a message "Superhost?"

I got back on with the CS rep. she said, "that's really strange behavior." So she escalated me to another CS rep, who suggested she ask her to update her profile picture to meet the Airbnb guidelines. That would have been a tremendous first solution but not a good second solution, and of course, I would lose another of my free cancelations if I canceled her again. So I asked to be escalated again. By the third CS rep, the reservation was canceled again. But now I've lost another three days because I have blocked the days off, so she can't rebook. 

So there are two issues here. 

1. Why doesn't Airbnb monitor profile pictures? They have guidelines, but those guidelines are not met so often, and it becomes the hosts' issue. Airbnb should be rejecting profile pictures; there is a technology that can do that. 
  2. Why does every CS call need to be escalated three times for resolution? They have become so bad in the last year every CS experience seems to become painful. 

32 Replies 32

@Colleen253 I have always felt like requiring a government ID adds a level of safety. However, I wonder if Airbnb does any verification on the Government ID. They say it's to confirm your legal name and address. But I can tell you from experience that the location listed on the profile is often not a reality. So do they check it against the credit card on file? And can they still create a fake profile even after uploading the ID?

@Jillian115 

What is shown on a guest's profile and at confirmed booking even, is fluff. I've had confirmed reservations with only a first name on the booking. Airbnb has told me that it's up to the guest if they want to supply a last name. I've had guests whose profile location turns out to be different from where they are living currently. I've also had a brand new to the platform guest who obviously provided a bogus phone number, as it was disconnected when I tried calling it. When I was a newbie host, I had someone book (with verified ID) who, it turned out, was known to police. Yes, known with the name they booked under. What does that tell you? 

Things are only set to get worse. Taken from the news of the updates coming up on the 24th, "We are eliminating unnecessary steps to make the entire guest flow simpler and easier to use. Now, a new guest on Airbnb will be able to go from signing up to confirming a reservation in just 60 seconds."

Again, what does that tell you? Disturbing.

@Colleen253 That’s very disappointing. There may come a day when it’s just not safe to host anymore. When I started I felt like I was protected by Airbnb. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. 😞 

@Lisa723 I would have agreed with you about two weeks ago. But I hosted someone who had a profile picture flipping off the camera and that should have been a good indicator of my experience with him. But my main reason for wanting the picture is to have an idea of what the person staying on my property looks like. Until my recent horrible experience was my sole reason for the requirement was just informational. Now I am looking for poor judgment shown in the profile picture, such as flipping off the camera. But that being said, reviews would definitely hold more weight.

@Jillian115 well yes I agree that someone who goes to the trouble to deliberately provide a hostile photograph is probably a poor bet-- that's different from not providing one, or a picture of a pet, etc.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Lisa723 - but Airbnb is the one who set the guidelines so they should lead by example.  Personally, I like to see a self profile pic of the person booking as it helps me to weed out third party bookings. For me it has nothing to do with prospective guests behaviour or the value of their money.

Years ago I had a woman book (first timer) but the photos (Airbnb didn't hide them back then) was of three older gentleman. A CS slipped and told me to search Facebook. Sure enough, the woman logged on through her FB account and her profile picture was of her husband's recent retirement party.

Airbnb should NOT be defaulting to FB profile photos. If the person can upload a picture, then then don't need to be on the platform.

Frankly, Airbnb should NOT be blocking photos and bio information. All guests should have a bio that tells a bit about themselves, photo ID's on file should be required, and a photo that shows them at least somewhere in the picture. I'm fine with people and their pets or grandchildren in the photo. Not random stock art or things having nothing to do with assuring the host that the guest is who they say the are.

Kathy59
Level 3
Buckhorn, Canada

I am adamant that hosts should see photos BEFORE booking.  I just don't feel there is enough protection for hosts.  I have had one particular BIG reason for this.  I do a B&B in my home, so would like to know more about who is requesting to stay with me.  Previously, I could screen shot the guest photo, then do a search.  Random I know, but they can find out much more about me, than the other way around.  

So.... I did google search my screen shot of a guest, who was coming with his 2 buddies, "just for some R&R".  All three of their photos popped up together - on a out of province police WANTED POSTER!!  I contacted Crimestoppers who advised me definetly not to try and set up a sting, just decline the request, they would take my info further.  I also let AirBnB know.  

If it wasn't for that photo, they would have been here with me.  Why?  R&R?  Maybe, eeeek.

In the another instance, I agreed to book for 4 people, even tho previously this man had asked for 6.  I sent him directions to my home, details, etc.  Then I verified with him that it was only 4 for sure.  He said maybe 2 more for a Sat night visit.  I said no, sorry no unregistered guests (in my rules).  Then he said it'll likely only be 8 or 9, well behaved 20-24 yr old men.   I said no.  He cancelled, but still has all my info....

One request showed a photo of a man holding up a flag with a finger salute.....  I must honestly say, that photo swayed my decision and I know AirBnB does not want us to 'judge a book by it's cover' but really??

Anyhow, just want to tell my fellow hosts, be safe and watchful.

@Kathy59  R&R actually meant Rob and Run  🙂

🤣 Well said!  Haha.  Maybe so!  I can laugh now.... 😂

@Kathy59 Wow thats so scary. I don’t think Airbnb offers any real protections for hosts. From what I’ve read on the forum it seems like they are unresponsive to hosts damage claims. Im going to keep requiring the picture.

Sherry399
Level 2
Coral Springs, FL

I totally understand the host's concern however the platform provides no opportunity to update a profile picture.  This presents a real challenge to both guests and hosts.

@Sherry399  Of course you can change a profile photo. 

I've have been trying to update my profile photo for almost 30 minutes and only found this conversation through a search.  It isn't accessible (though the government id is).  I've tried to access it through Settings and no luck.  If you have some info it would be greatly appreciated.

@Sarah977 thanks for encouraging me to keep looking - I was able to update my profile picture through my Android device (still frustrated with the browser based interface