Airbnb Rep Trying to Berate Me Into Giving a Refund

Airbnb Rep Trying to Berate Me Into Giving a Refund

After already discussing a booking with a case manager, a different case manager came back and tried to bully/con me into giving a refund.  This just seems so wrong.  A screenshot of the session is here: https://imgur.com/TY0yKUU  and I've also pasted it below.  

Mar 31, 2020

Airbnb Support5:50 AM

Hi Christopher,

Good day!
This is Daphne, one of the Case Managers from Airbnb. I trust this message finds you well. I hope you are safe and well! First and foremost, I would like to personally thank you for being part of our Airbnb community. We're so thankful for hosts like you who are committed to providing extraordinary hospitality.

I am reaching out to you on behalf of your guest Vladimir with reservation HMABTFKYDE, check in on January 11th and check out on April 17th. Your guest is asking if possible that he can get a full refund or partial for the nights not spent in the listing. He was unable to complete his trip due to COVID-19 outbreak which affected everyone. I am sure this badly hits you as well since hosting is your livelihood. Please know that your guest would love to stay until this unfortunate event happened. He badly need their hard-earned money to buy their essentials and basic needs. We can process the changes to the reservation's check out so the remaining dates will be re-opened. Hoping you can grant this request.

Again, I would like to thank you for being a wonderful host and proving that hospitality is above everything, therefore, you are a true ambassador of #BelongAnywhere.

Christopher5:25 PM
Hello Daphne,

Thanks for your interest in the matter, but this issue has already been discussed with a case manager. They issued a finding that this reservation did not qualify for any refund. Vladimir left voluntarily, less than 30 days before his checkout. He was welcome to stay, and my area had zero COVID-19 cases at the time, and is barely affected. It is one of the safest places to be. His booking does not qualify for any extenuating circumstance, as already indicated by an Airbnb case manager.

I'm glad you are here to help with my cancellation problems though. According to the policy that we agreed on at the time of booking, I am owed a 30 day payout for booking HMKBYZZTPE. Can you please send me that money?

Thanks,
Christopher
Apr 3, 2020

Airbnb Support5:30 AM
Hello Christopher. How are you? I appreciate your time in responding to his case. Yes, the reservation does not qualify under our COVID-19 Extenuating Circumstance Policy that is why your guest has reached out to us regarding the request of changing the check out of the reservation and not be charged for the remaining nights not spent in the listing. We can not process the upcoming payout due for the guest's next scheduled payment. If you will agree to the request of changes, we will re-open the remaining dates.

Christopher6:13 AM
I'm confused. The cancellation does not qualify for the EC policy. Why are you saying there won't be any payment?

Airbnb Support6:20 AM
I am requesting if you will agree to change the check out of the reservation instead so the remaining dates will be re-opened. And we are asking if you will agree to refund the guest instead or not charge him anymore since he is no longer staying in your listing. We are not cancelling the reservation.

Christopher6:23 AM
A case manager had already told me that there is no refund due on this booking. Please check the previous messages about this booking.
The guest has not cancelled the booking and the calendar remains blocked.

Airbnb Support6:27 AM
He can not cancel the reservation because of your cancellation policy, and he already stayed. We will instead alter the reservation. Refunds will only be processed if you will agree to it.

Christopher6:32 AM
I do not agree to any refund.

Airbnb Support6:40 AM
How about a partial refund?

Christopher6:46 AM
I said no.
Why are you hassling me?
This is completely unprofessional.

Airbnb Support6:49 AM
Alright. I am sorry for the inconvenience Christopher. Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. I will let your guest know about this case. Please be safe and healthy!

Christopher6:49 AM
I need to speak to your supervisor.
8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christopher187  Jeez, that is SO wrong. But not surprising. I bet "Daphne" gets some kind of brownie points if she manages to get a refund for the guest. And her gushing "We so appreciate hosts like you-now let me try to forcefuly screw you over" is entirely vomit-worthy. It was probably passed to her because "Oh give it to Daphne, she's really good at veiled coersion."

I can just imagine how Vladimir "reached out" to CS. Probably yelled and demanded and threatened.

Good for you for standing your ground in such a contained, professional manner.  I sure hope you see that payout.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christopher187 VERY WELL DONE! - I'll admit I'm one of the few who agrees with the 100% refund policy. But NOT for guests like Vladimir, who cancel part way thru their stay!

"He cannot cancel the reservation  because of your cancellation policy and he already stayed." - EXACTLY!  - Very well done indeed! 

@Christopher187 

I hope you get your payout for that stay soon! 

I'm also among the minority that thinks covid-19 related cancellations should be refunded 100% but NOT when they don't fall under the the EC applied dates and conditions.....and absolutely not if they already stayed - it's clear the decision to leave early was their *choice* which imo does make a huge difference. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christopher187 

Well done for sticking to your guns. I had exactly the same situation with two long-term guests who had already checked in and did not qualify for COVID-19 EC. However, in my cases, no one asked my permission to give a full refund. Airbnb just issued the refunds regardless. I don't know how many times I have had to explain to them that these cancellations do not qualify under the EC policy.

If a guest wants a larger refund, they should discuss it with me. I am not a monster and I am happy to meet them half way. However, if they go via Airbnb and try to bully me into it, then no. 

Jennifer681
Level 3
New Haven, CT

I had a guest book After the 14th, during the pandemic, from New York City nonetheless. Our Airbnb apartment is in Connecticut...close by. This guest fully new what was happening with the pandemic or lives under a rock. He booked with his wife saying they just wanted to get out of the city. Booking accepted. I sent out all sorts of info regarding the fact that although this is a 3 bedroom rental and they were only renting one room that we would not be renting the other two rooms. They received a HUGE discount compared to what the rate would be to rent the entire apartment out privately without sharing with other guests. A few days before the Friday they were booked to arrive on I contacted them to check their plans for checking in. The guest delayed getting back to me. He said he was wondering if they should still come and what was the situation like in New Haven, CT. I mean it is very close. Like things would be much different here. I told him we are taking great precautions and are still able to host them. He questioned if trains would be running from NYC to CT. Really!? Emergency workers and essential workers rely on the trains. Anyway, could I predict what would happen? Why would you book a unnecessary vacation during a pandemic where you were already told not to travel. Mind you, when this guest booked I was not aware it was only a fun getaway. We have no real idea why people are travelling right now even though we specifically ask when they book to tell us. Anyway, two days before their arrival date he says he doesn't think they should come and asks for a refund. Not for nothing, times are SUPER tough right now. We don't rent out a room for extra cash. This is our business. This is my only source of income and we still have to pay the bills. I had already cleaned the heck out of the whole apartment in anticipation of their booked reservation. Since they booked another guest could not book and we may have lost out on another booking, for even possibly a longer term stay. I told the guest he had to cancel on his end since we are able to host him. He hit the button to cancel that sends the host the message to approve or decline a full refund. I declined. I offered him the option to get a partial refund including the incredibly small $15 cleaning fee. Are you kidding... it took hours to clean before and would have taken hours after them. I told him to contact Airbnb to see if they would refund their fee and tax. He never canceled. He sends me a message on Monday and says oh thank you so much, I did not check my messages over the weekend, I am glad you will refund me. I said, no, that is not what I said. Long story short... I got a message this am from Airbnb saying under the EC policy they issued a refund in full to the guest and I will eventually get 25%. That is like $30. As opposed to the original incredibly low amount of $130 for the whole weekend of which I offered the guest a $60 refund as a courtesy. He made a story up that his wife came down with the flu on the weekend (not corona as he specifically states) and that is why he did not cancel their stay on the Thursday before the weekend she became ill.... Thanks AIRBNB!!!! We can not even accept current bookings because Airbnb is not standing by their new policy and guests could just cancel whenever they want...even many days after their reservation began.

Oh, and they said I would be charged back for the refund they decided to issue the guest. Like I am not broke enough and trying to still pay the bills for the apartment we solely use for Airbnb. So, I have a new booking for today. An emergency worker. I was glad to be bringing in a few dollars. Now Airbnb against they policy they put in place is taking a huge chunk of that booking income back?????

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Christopher187   That was so ugly and manipulative, and also sneaky.  Airbnb always liked to write paragraphs and paragraphs to obscure whatever the point is.  Good for you that you forced them to stick to the subject.

Emily1166
Level 2
Greenville, SC

Airbnb only cares about their bottom line, not the hosts who helped build this company. This harassment and flip flopping from "case managers" is typical of their shoddy Customer Service model. Good for you for standing your ground!