Airbnb Security Deposit

Doris38
Level 2
Malaysia

Airbnb Security Deposit

Hi All, 

I'm new here.

I'm a host from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Just want to ask is Airbnb recently charging guest security deposit ?

Whenever I tried to claim thru resolution center, after I involved Airbnb, Airbnb will never compensate anything back to me.

For example:

"unfortunately, we're unable to process your request," 

"Considering that we can not find the Guest responsible for that damage"

The worst part is guest also admit to me that they broken my stuff, and they wants me to charge them using the airbnb security deposit.

So is airbnb actually charges guest's security deposit ? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Doris38 There is no security deposit actually taken by AIRBNB. If the guest is in agreement to pay you should just request them. Go into the reservation details the send or request money. If the guest agrees they will send you money with no involvement of Airbnb.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In other words @Doris38, there are certainly some major pluses to Airbnb, no doubt; but forcefully collecting money for damages from the guest is not one of them. 

Pamela828
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I actually have had quite a few disappointing guests that required me to use the Airbnb Resolution center. You can ask the guest to pay by requesting money through the app. If they deny, you can use Airbnb to help. They require a photo of damage and a link to the replacement item online. I’ve received reimbursement from Airbnb for items damaged. I should note they were minor. A broken toilet seat, broken dishes, stained chair covers. I have tried to get compensation for additional cleaning services but they will not reimburse for that for whatever reason. I don’t know if this comes from the guests security deposit or if Airbnb pays. Regardless, I feel that this platform is designed to protect the guest and not the host. We have to jump through rings of fire to get anything as a host. 

Maia138
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Agreed. Guests breaking things is more common than "rare" and if you miss some little detail on the rules, you'll be disqualified from receiving any of the purported "millions" in compensation. Airbnb doesn't do a good job of supporting its hosts.