Airbnb Select Program

Answered!
Susan-and-Eric0
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Airbnb Select Program

Hi all,

So I have been chosen to participate in the Airbnb Select Programme.  I have addressed and complied with ALL requirements apart from one item:  Carbon Monoxide Detector.

However, I do not have any gas appliance, gas mains, gas pipes, no free standing gas bottles on my property.  The villa is 100% powered by electricity.  But no matter how many times I tell airbnb this, they continue to insist I purchase a Carbon monoxide detector.  Furthermore, they do not answer my question why I need one.  Airbnb's inflexibility over this matter is most frustrating as it is preventing me from being accepted into the programme.  

Anyone else in Cape Town or indeed anywhere else having the same issue?  I would love to hear from you and learn how you may have resolved this issue with Airbnb without a needless expense of purchasing a detector

Thank you.

Eric

1 Best Answer
John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

Cigarette smoke has all sort of noxious gases within it and it stinks. That’s why we don’t let people smoke inside. The point here is not about preventing someone smoking it’s about  not poisoning your guests.  I don’t believe anyone is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from cigarette smoking even if you chain smoked a full packet and kept all the doors and windows shut.  A carbon monoxide detector is there to detect when appliances that burn carbon based fuels are faulty as incomplete burning results in CO production.   The advice is to fit one to each room in which a carbon fuel burning appliance is located.   

What the OP is rightly saying is that without carbon fuel burning appliances they has reduced the risk down to nil of poisoning their guests with CO.  She is doing her bit for safety for her guests by not having any items that produce CO.   So why would anyone insist on a CO detector for places such as this.   It’s impossoble to comply with the rules for fitting them as if you don’t put them in rooms that dont have carbon fuel burning appliances.  

Not only does this affect the ability to get a status that allows you to be business ready or part of plus programme but it places a black mark on your listing that no doubt puts off some people.  Without the ability to explain visibly why there is not one fitted, the application of a blanket 

policy only goes to penalise those that have actually gone the extra mile for their guests.  It’s total nonsense and exhibits no common sense whatsoever. 

Oh and smoke alarms don’t detect CO.  Only joint smoke alarm and co detectors do that. 

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Susan-and-Eric0    BTW what is the Select Program?

Hi Pam,

"Select" is a new programme piloting soon to showcase some of the best, highest quality homes in Cape Town and probably elsewhere where Airbnb chooses to roll-out the pilot.  We have had an Airbnb photographer come to the villa for over two hours to shoot new shots and also conduct a "home check".

Once I can over come this CO detector hurdle then I hope to be given the green light to join.  However, I am unsure when the pilot launch date will be.

Will keep you posted if you like.

Regards

Eric

PS. Link to our villa  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1684466

Hi there

I'm also a host in Cape Town and was invited to 'join' select. 

I had the same issue with the CO detector. Absolutely no fuel-burning appliances etc... But still AirBnB insisted. It took me hours and hours of googling and calling to find any (other than 1 for about R1500).

I eventually found one at ACDC Dynamics in Paarden Eiland. About R300.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jenny

Hi Eric

Many thanks!!

You property is absolutely stunning!!! 

I managed to get a CO detector from Takealot.com.

I have also been invited to be part of the pilot and am really excited about it.  My only remaining hurdle is the internet speed,  which Telkom can only provide a max 4Mbps connection in Simon's Town where I live, and you need 5Mbps for the Select program,  so am trying to see if I can get a satellite connection to fix that.  I have someone coming next week to talk to me about that.

Kind regards

Pam

Philip141
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi everyone.

A good option is the one on takealot.com. It is both a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. You can find it on the link below:

https://m.takealot.com/#product?id=59131006

Laura1173
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi all. I’m just wondering if there is any more news on this? I also just got the invite and wonder whether it’s worth it? Do you receive the professional photos or is all tied up in possibly being on the new select programme?

Louisa5
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Good morning,

I have just been accepted into the Select program but wonder if I want to be part of it?

The new photos are pretty basic, lacking in flair or composition. Some so bad Ive just not used. I have requested if I can exchange for some of my own, however its not possible at this time. The photograhper was not really interested, he just wanted do the job and leave. He missed even basic things like the Iron, kitchen products and utensils etc., which were all clearly available.

The cover shot is pre-selected and shows an area that is basically a walk through from one level to the next? I asked if I could select another, again was told no, marketing research states what is best. Maybe so, but a poor shot is a poor shot.

I do feel Im losing control of a little business I enjoyed running and was doing fairly well with. Having to install a TV in todays world of mobile technology seems pointless,  a washing machine would be far more welcome as my clients have often commented. However, I want to fall in line with all the requirements which I have, Ive enjoyed working with Airbnb, but on seeing the photos its pretty disappointing and rather worrying.

Can you opt out of Select and return to the old page format?

Has anyone else had the same problem with the Airbnb 'Professional' photography?

Louisa (the ART house - Cape Town)

Hi Louisa,

I could not agree with you more.  Everthing you describe is exactly what I have experienced.  The "professional" photos I have received are shocking.  I too have been told I cannot use a selection of my own ones.  The "hero" photo that has been automatically selected is awful - not a patch on the photos I currently have.

I have tried twice to convince Airbnb to be more flexible in this matter but they are simply too stubborn to listen or amend their "rules".  They do tell me that at any time I can opt out of select and revert to the old format.  So I will see how it goes for a week or two after they launch.

Good luck!

Eric

Jenny308
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Louisa

I'm having the exact same issues with my Select property. While I appreciate the opportunity to be involved and was really looking forward to the potentially better listing placement/promotion - I too feel that the photos are pretty terrible and will hurt rather than enhance. 

Some photos are good, but there are so many bad ones and missing areas/angles/features etc. And the automatically chosen cover photo is awful. I wouldn't choose my place if I was a potential guest.

I contacted the AirBnB Select representative and raised my concerns and asked if we could supplement the imagery with our own photos (even if they have to be approved for content and quality). Same response. It's not possible at this time. Nor is changing the cover photo to something better/more relevent.

I'm in the same boat as you. Yes, you can opt out and revert to yur 'normal' listing. I think I'll give it a (quick) chance, then revert back if it doesn't work, or the program is not changed to allow us to best market our property. Surely we know what our guests like/want!

I really hope they reconsider, as I'd love to be a part of Select. We were obviously chosen as we have good properties that guests have loved! But at the moment, all I've done is spend money and time adhering to their requirements and am quite disaapointed with the outcome and don't think it'll work for me in its current form.

Let's hope they reconsider the rule on additional/supplementary imagery. 

Cheers

Jenny

@Louisa5

@Jenny308

@Susan-and-Eric0

Have received my photos today and like you am disappoited in them, this photographer was not a patch on the initial one they sent a year ago. I was hoping I could change the photos with many of the existing ones.

Was so looking forward to this inititive.

Louisa5
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mark, Susan, Eric and Jenny,

I actually opted out of the scheme, which is very disaapointing, but for all the reasons we have each experienced.

Maybe in the future when the program is more settled, more flexible, I would like to be considered again, but right now with the profile offered it would be damaging to business.

Good luck to all of you and please let me know how you get on in the months to come.

Louisa

Hi Louisa... will do!

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

Cigarette smoke has all sort of noxious gases within it and it stinks. That’s why we don’t let people smoke inside. The point here is not about preventing someone smoking it’s about  not poisoning your guests.  I don’t believe anyone is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from cigarette smoking even if you chain smoked a full packet and kept all the doors and windows shut.  A carbon monoxide detector is there to detect when appliances that burn carbon based fuels are faulty as incomplete burning results in CO production.   The advice is to fit one to each room in which a carbon fuel burning appliance is located.   

What the OP is rightly saying is that without carbon fuel burning appliances they has reduced the risk down to nil of poisoning their guests with CO.  She is doing her bit for safety for her guests by not having any items that produce CO.   So why would anyone insist on a CO detector for places such as this.   It’s impossoble to comply with the rules for fitting them as if you don’t put them in rooms that dont have carbon fuel burning appliances.  

Not only does this affect the ability to get a status that allows you to be business ready or part of plus programme but it places a black mark on your listing that no doubt puts off some people.  Without the ability to explain visibly why there is not one fitted, the application of a blanket 

policy only goes to penalise those that have actually gone the extra mile for their guests.  It’s total nonsense and exhibits no common sense whatsoever. 

Oh and smoke alarms don’t detect CO.  Only joint smoke alarm and co detectors do that.