Airbnb Select

Michael330
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Airbnb Select

I've been invited to be an AirBnB Select host. Is there an extra charge for this?

18 Replies 18
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Michael330 Didn't the offer come with some kind of terms of contract? 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi, Michael,

Curious if you found an answer to your question?  Just read an article in  The Guardian about the Select program and am wondering about having our listings evaluated for inclusion.  Was there any contact person or email you could share?  Thanks!

Joe261
Level 2
LA, CA

Hi-
I'm part of the pilot in Los Angeles.  So far, there's been no charges from me to participate.  The benefits seem to be great--but the program has yet to officially launch.

I have advised that I have been selected for the program and have been told to look out for an email with further instructions. That was about three weeks ago and still I have not received anything. Has anybody else experienced the same thing?

Amy-And-Gin0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

@Michael330

I looked it.  It sounds like a home improvement loan so there is a charge on the loan and it is called interest.  Airbnb makes money the same way a bank does.  Airbnb is trying their hand in banking.  Only take it if the rate is competitive compared to what you can get at a bank

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Amy403
Level 1
Tulsa, OK

I have read that the program intends to create a luxury hotel experience for guests.  I have 30 listings in Dallas and would really like to know more about qualifiying for the program.  Is anyone reading this participating in Texas?

@Amy403 Hi Amy

We have been selected for the program in Australia and selected is the key word here.

You cannot apply as such, it is an invitation only program and there is a strict selection criteria.

A photograper contracted to Airbnb comes to the property and takes new photos and checks off a list of must haves and everything has to be perfect, think along the lines of a luxury hotel including bedding, towels, amenities ect, ect including a high standard of past reviews and current rating.

The steps of the program are slow, we are still waiting for the launch some 3 months after the initial invitation.

Stephanie215
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hey Mark

Have things progressed for you yet with Select Program? I too an in Australia and was invited to be part of the program. I was a little slow to respond but finally sheduled walk through and photography session last month. Still in set up process as in there were a few small additions I was asked to make (these items were actually there - they just missed by the rep - ie frypan, salt & pepper, garbage bags). I was wondering - have you tried to open your messages from the Select program on a laptop? It appears the program seems to be run completely through the Airbnb app (which is for ios devises only). If your up and running with Select I was wondering how your finding it and what were their photographs of your place like?

Thanks 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Stephanie215, I'm just mentioning in @Mark308 so he receives a notification about your reply. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Stephanie215 @Lizzie

Hi Stephanie sorry for the delayed reply I have not been back to the boards.

Yes the program uploads seem to be via the APP only.

The update is as follows...

We were invited to be selected for the program in Aug 2017, it is now May 5, 2018 and we continue to wait, let me explain in further detail.

After the initial photographer/assessor left Sep 4, 2017 it just seemed an endless wait so I followed up several times only to be told in mid April 2018 further touches were now required, I was really surprised as the apartment is basically all designer and super funky, yet I went out and spent some heavy cash on more artwork, cushions for the bed and matching throw, large faux plant and a large table floral arrangement in a vase. All items were required to be photographed and uploaded for review. Did so within weeks and then finally after more follow up to Airbnb was informed new professional photography and assesment was now required and I must make a booking via a link.

Did this but the page was frought with bugs in relation to the time selection drop down box.

It showed all times in UTC rather than AEST. I persevered and selected 9.30am - 11.30am May 5.

The email confirmation comes back as 07.30pm AEST I kid you not.

Multiple calls to Airbnb customer service and no one is able to assist I am told because there are only two people that deal with photography bookings at the call cente and they were not there at the time possibly due to the time difference.

I had to await contact via email from one of them which would be arranged for me.

Email comes in at 3.00am May 4 from the photography team person asking me what is the listing number of the property? I am thinking surely you have acess to that info, I only have one listing. More incompetence!

So today I was living in hope, the apartment was cleaned and ready for the booked photographer and no email, call, SMS, or show from this person all day/evening.

I am beyond amazed at this debacle.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mark308

Mark, Airbnb can arrange these things but remember there is a 'third party' individual involved when it come to photography, and what that third party do is sometimes beyond Airbnb's control.

Hey, just as a matter of interest Mark, I was in a similar situation last year, got the invite in July, but declined the offer to pursue it!

I was happy with my bookings and the quality of guests that I was (and still am) getting.

The last thing I needed was guests who were expecting a bit more, a listing that was a cut above, were harder to please, who felt that haggling their way through life was the best way to go. Why have you decided this select, now 'plus' program is for you?

My feeling is you are just making a rod for your back mate, just concentrate on being that great Superhost that you are!

I far prefer the Superhost search filter than being lumped in with a heap paid entrepreneurs who do not neseccarily have the runs on the board, just paid a bob or two to be there.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 Hi Rob

You may well be correct, perhaps not even worth persuing.

Seems like I am paddling up stream.

For the record it seems to be a bug with the Airbnb photographer booking page not the contractor.

Stephanie215
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hey Mark 

It finally launched here in Sydney in Feburary. I didnt get to see my new photographs prior to the launch, which was disapointing because I felt they did not reflect my place anywhere as well as my own did. They were very ordinary. The main picture they selected was of the bed and it was a terrible photo. I could not edit the pictures nor could I edit the information which was very limited and misleading. I feel like I lost complete control of my listing page. None of this would have mattered if the results had been worth it. However, I must say I did not recieve even 1 booking in over 3 months with the Plus program compared to the previous year when I was fully booked. Every time I asked why this might be I was advised to reduce my nightly rate (to lower than the previous year - which is the oposite of what was promised by joining the program). I did however start to recieve an excessive amount of requests for free accommodation in retun for instagram coverage and requests for inapropriate bookings for excessive number of guests, photo shoots, requests from people with pets and small children as well as rather stange ones like hiring my listing for a few hours to light the fire pit but not stay the night etc. All these requests needed answers (my time) and achieved nothing positive. I would definitely have exceeded the 'no more than 5% declines' they expect you to maintain. Anyway, to cut a long story short I opted out of the program after a disasterous 3 months and went back to the old platform. Even that was not straight forward as the 'Opt out' button was not working at my end or at the support centre I rang. It was a further couple of weeks before of phone calls and emails before my old listing page was re-instated. Sadly I found the whole process a huge wate of time, effort and money.