Airbnb Should Change 'Location' Rating to 'Neighbourhood' and 'Overall Rating' to 'Met Expectations'

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Airbnb Should Change 'Location' Rating to 'Neighbourhood' and 'Overall Rating' to 'Met Expectations'

Here's my two cents. Hope Airbnb see this lol. Anybody have thoughts on this?

13 Replies 13
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Natalie725, neighbourhood might work (although I'm sure many guests would still find reasons to mark hosts down). The overall rating question is already based on whether the listing met expectations. 5 stars for 'much better than expected', 4 for 'a bit better than expected' and 3 for 'as expected'. This is frustrating because we need to vastly undersell our listing to get a 5 star rating. 

Yes, you're correct. Guests will find a reason to mark hosts or property down.  I had a guest say that, they didn't have to ask for anything, the place was beautiful and they even wanted to come back. They wrote a review saying the the description needs to be "more accurate".  The place is exactly the way it is in the picture, the floor plan is exactly the way it has always been. They refuse to answer when I asked what is the issue with the description... no answer... Every other guest says the place is exactly as described.  The thing is that I can't seem to get that part of the review off my progress report. This has been since 2017, two years later with all the great reviews and it still doesn't move.  Not fair.

@Sandra1307  Not surprising that guests who write things they know to be false, don't answer when you ask them why they said that.

What could they say, other than "Oh, it's because we're liars." or "Because we didn't bother to read the listing description and therefore expected something other than what you advertise."

imho they should lose "location" altogether if you have a map pin placed exactly on your listing.

I don't want my property's exact location known until I know who has booked it. Otherwise every random person on the planet can see where the place is and look at the calendar and work out when it's empty.

@Alex-and-Vaughan0  very good point.  You have to make a judgement on these things, everybody's circumstances are different.  

Amen to that, totally agree!

I agree!  I just lost my 5 star rating to “location” (even though it’s a GREAT location- but guest said it was “confusing” to find driveway)  He didn’t look at the VERY CLEAR instructions on Airbnb prior to arrival -PLUS pictures and step by step instructions (which were extremely easy) were emailed prior to arrival.  The instructions say to go past the first driveway that is blocked with a yellow chain and use the second entrance. Real confusing!, right??  The guest was terrible.  No communication whatsoever.  I always reach out to make sure they arrived safely and midway through their stay, to make sure that everything is going smoothly and that they don’t need anything at all. No response to either of those emails, including the initial email with the instructions and pictures of the driveway and house.   They put dishes with bacon and bacon grease and glasses with greasy fingerprints in cupboards.  What a piece of work!  We always go above and beyond to ensure our guests have everything they need and provide snacks etc...  so that was a slap in the face.   We knew we would eventually lose the five star rating, but didn’t think it would be over something so stupid. We thought maybe somebody might not like their bed either to firm or too soft… Something of that nature. All mattresses are new, but sometimes you can’t always please everyone in the comfy bed department. LOL.  My husband says not to worry about it, but of course I’ve been stewing over losing our rating due to something so ridiculous 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Natalie725 

The overall rating should be changed to:

"complies with listing description"

Wietske0
Level 2
Eindhoven, Netherlands

No, because that is already one of the other attributes: accuracy.

Other than suggested above the overall rating is not worded in terms as “meets expectations or better than expected”. But 5 stars is described as :“excellent “ and that makes perfect sense.

I had guest with his elder son who asked for pick up service which I provide after arriving late after midnight from airport.

On her review she wrote "the place is beautiful, neat,  the host is very friendly", she continues " it wasn't  easy to find the place, the address was incorrect"  and at last rating 4 stars. She made my rate to drop down from 5.0 to 4.9. As I mentioned the story to Airbnb they´ve told me to open a thread. So dear community hosts we real have to work on this issue of rating till we get a better solution. 

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

What does 'incorrect address' even mean - can someone explain??  I had 2 guests arrive on the same day for 2 separate listings on my property (I live here too). One listed only positives but the other  indicated 'incorrect address' as needs improvement - the first time in 2 years and over 100 guests hosting. How can it be possible - is the address not listed as soon as booking is confirmed? And if it is a glitch on the app, why am we penalised?

In Sofia - Bulgaria, plenty of guests who think that Location means Oxford street in London and Champ Elisee in Paris, therefore they simply write that Location was not right in the Center - so 4 stars. Was Location in a good neighborhood - yes, I agree, this is better than only Location. 

Have in mind - guests who plan to visit Sofia that many accommodations would be closed from June or July as the Governement decided to level Airbnb with hotels as rules, taxes, ect.  Visiting Bulgaria which is an extraordinary country - will become more expensive than going to Luxembourg.