Airbnb - Time to DROP August Home Smartlock - Need new lock system recommendations

Kelly-and-Jeff1
Level 2
Grand Rapids, MI

Airbnb - Time to DROP August Home Smartlock - Need new lock system recommendations

I think Airbnb needs to drop their connection to August Home.  Don't offer promotion to a company that cannot support your users.

I have two locks that worked fine - in fact I had almost no issues - until they updated the app in the last 3-4 months.

Now, I cannot:

Delete guests that have checked out (they can still get in my house!!!)

Add keypad codes (except when I can - there is no rhyme nor reason to this)

Change anything for the most part

The app spins and spins.  I get error meesages that it cannot connect to my lock - when I am standing right next to it.  When I am already connected bia Bluetooth or via WiFi.

I try to delete people and LOGS say "John Doe was removed" but John Doe is still there, in my app.  I end up with dozens of old guests in the app until every now and then when I can remove some.  Eventually, none can be removed again.

I have been in communication with August and they keep giving me the run around.  They tell me the issues are fixed but they aren't.  Today they told me that I need to uninstall and reinstall the app (duh - done that 5 times in the last two months).  I get the same version I've had for months.

They say there are new versions - nope, not in Google Play Store.  They say that must be Google blocking me because my phone is old.  Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 8.0 - it's not very old.  If they don't support THAT recent of a version, then they truly are worthless.

The app has become more trouble than it's worth to me now and they are ZERO help.

I am adding two more units and need locks that I can grant access to remotely.  Does anyone have any recommendations of something that WORKS?

Jeff

13 Replies 13
Jason649
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I'm sorry to hear this. You are the only customer we have heard that is having this problem. I will personally look into why this is happening and will help you.  Jason

Eric471
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi, Jeff,

This is Eric at August. Thanks for your honest feedback about this and our apologies for the frustration associated with this Host experience. 

A few notes that we hope will help:

1. The issues that you reported should be resolved in August's latest Android release, so I would recommend double-checking that you have the latest version (v. 8.2.34). There should be no issue installing that on your Galaxy S7 Edge.

2. If the issues persist, please feel free to contact me directly through this forum (Eric Crawford) and provide email or phone # on August account, so we can view your tickets in our CS system and troubleshoot w/ you through that.

3. In mid-May, August released a new feature that allows Hosts to enable keypad access to their Airbnb listings. When a guest makes a reservation, the guest is sent a random keypad code valid for the duration of the reservation. So, you would not have to create them for guests. To access, this, go to the Airbnb section of the app (App Navigation > August Access > August Works With > Airbnb) and enable the keypad. More information about this is available here:

https://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z

Best,
Eric

Hi Eric,

HELP! I am having a problem automating my ABNB with my August lock. Can you message me privately?

Thanks!
Alex

David3617
Level 2
Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi Eric - I need 50 Locks for a boutique hotel and other vacation rental proeprties. We have used RemoteLock, Virtual Key, and manual solutions but nothing has been solid. Can you email me davecutler@gmail.com. Ideally would be a lever style lock in most doors, deadbolt syle on a few, and direct integration / automatic code generation with airbnb (required)  and other channels if possible.  Absolutely NO app for guests to download, just a unique code. 

Hi David, have you thought of trying the Airlocking System? Reviews on Amazon are very positive.  I am including a cut and paste explanation of this system.  It might be worth considering:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
THE aIRLOCKING sYSTEM:AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Kim610
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

@Kelly-and-Jeff1, I use Schlage Sense. I have 5 of them and absolutely love them. I've been using them for 2+ years and don't have any complaints. You'll want to also purchase the wifi adapter so that you can add/delete codes remotely.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

We've been using Schalge and Yale z-wave locks for years now with the SmartThings hub. Last year we added an app called Rental Lock Automater (RLA) from rboy apps to automatically schedule our renters. It's an amazon app which automatically creates user codes, send them a personalized SMS with their code, activates the codes before they arrive and deletes it after they leave. There's a lot more that RLA does for us including handing our HVAC system when renters arrive/leave and much more, but those are features unique to SmartThings. You don't have to but if already have a smartthings hub it's pretty easy to add them.

I've written a more detailed review of our experience here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Home-Automation-for-Airbnb-hosts-Home-Assist-custom-solu...

Penny69
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I second everything Jeff said - 100% accurate. The august app is absolute garbage. I recently switched cleaners and now I can't remove her from my account or even downgrade her access. Support staff do nothing to assist. Everytime they say something is fixed it's not. AUGUST HOME, I'M SICK OF TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE FOR YOU! YOU SHOULD BE PAYING SOMEONE TO DO THAT!!!

Ghita15
Level 1
Rabat, MA

Hi,

Is august smart lock first generation compatible with airbnb?

Joseph1299
Level 2
Dallas, TX

This original post is three years old, but history repeats itself. Every single thing Jeff reports about having issues with the locks, the app, and lack of support still stands today.  Anyone that’s considering these locks should stay clear. For more than a month  I’ve been unable to program remotely and can’t program multiple doors with the same code for guests. The app is garbage. The purpose of being able to program the locks remotely - gone. Ability to lock and unlock doors remotely - gone. Ability to have one code for guests for two doors on the same apartment - gone. Trust that guests will be able to access the apartment with what does get programmed in  -gone.  Customer support - “our developers are working on the issue” is all I get for more than a month. This is lunacy. I’m looking into new locks and I agree with Jeff...Airbnb should drop August as a partner. 

Joseph1299
Level 2
Dallas, TX

@Kelly-and-Jeff1 and @Penny69 I’m  curious if your issues with the August locks and app were ever resolved? 

Kelly-and-Jeff1
Level 2
Grand Rapids, MI

I posted an answer but the system keeps failing...

Kelly-and-Jeff1
Level 2
Grand Rapids, MI

Since that one went thru, I'll try to answer again:

We gave up two years ago - the issues never got resolved.  We threw out all of our August Locks and installed a commercial system that we already have in a commercial building we own.

This is NOT going to be an option for most hosts - very expensive upfront costs.  We spent about $20,000 to install this in our four Airbnb  units.  We needed to remove doors and frames to install the wiring and hardware in our 135+ year old property.

Now, we control these doors from a single server that our other building is on, from anywhere.  Life is so much more simple now! 

We invested in this for the long term - we've had the system in our commercial building with no issues for over 12 years - so spread over the life of the system, $20K was well worth it to us.