Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.50.59 AM.png

Just this morning, I got harassed by an Airbnb case manager/customer service. I reported this guest who made an instant book and openly said that she does not want to comply with anything. The case manager said that before booking all guests are being forced to agree with house rules, so if I want to cancel then I will be penalized. It is in the Airbnb policy that instant book host can cancel penalty-free for unlimited times if the guest is breaking house rules or host feels uncomfortable. The case manager said that I cannot do that anymore because I have done it a few times before (always because the guest is not following house rules and book instantly) and she said that this guest does not break any house rules. When I tried to explained what the guest has said, she just kept talking and not listening.

I feel so disappointed and hurt. After 5 years with Airbnb, this is how I am being treated by this platform that I always support.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.38 PM.png

This is on their Instant Book FAQ, but apparently is a lie.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.31 PM.png

Another lie they have on FAQ

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.56.54 PM.png

They clearly don't have my back.

I turned off the instant book and I am blocking all of my dates after the last existing reservation that I have. I cannot stand with a company with employees that bully others (their host, who actually on track to be superhost by the end of this week). I know that the company won't care about me because I am just a number for them and not a valued host or a human, but at least I don't need to contribute to a company like this.

I guess the 5 years that I am with Airbnb means nothing and this is the end of it.

@Lizzie

38 Replies 38
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Farah1 I’ve missed seeing you here and I’m sorry to see you back under these conditions. 

No host should have to host this guest after such a spiteful message. 

When I have guest with inappropriate message or bad reviews or strange profile. I ask CS to read the message and then ask how that could possibly be a guest I should have to host. 

I’d keep trying with CS. You shouldn’t host this person. 

And btw 85% of my business has shifted to HomeAway. Much better host relationship & protection. 

Also, I’ve been saying ever since my own run in with cs about IB cancellation: the policy really should say “CS can cancel as many IB reservations as they’d like. Hosts can only for sure cancel 3 times. “

@Kelly149 it is very upsetting. Their argument is invalid too. The CS said "guest must agree to follow house rules when they made the reservation." while they clearly not. She openly says that she is not going to comply with anything. CS said that I have "too many" claims for instant book guests not complying, therefore if I want to cancel this one, I will be penalized for it. Well, it is not my fault that there are many guests happen to book my place without agreeing to follow rules? How is this my fault? It happened to happen to me that these people book my place. I don't have control over that. CS also said that this guest is not breaking house rules. How is it not? When she clearly said that she does not want to comply with anything.

I called again trying to get a different person. She said that the trip dept (the dept with the rude CS) is the one that can make that decision. So, I might be stuck. I don't understand why I need to be penalized for complying with policy and the guest is rewarded by violating policy?

I will send you a message/email to talk about HomeAway, I think this is really the time to leave ABB.

Thanks, I'm going to look into Home Away.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Hi @Farah1

I am so sorry you are being treated like this, Airbnb have no right to be so hostile. This is your home and your rules, I would be more concerned about your safety as this guest obviously has a personal agenda.

Am told Twitter could be a way to get this resolved.

I wish Airbnb would start to protect our homes and hostes from this type of guest

Hi @Chris232 thank you for your support. The fact that ABB says that this guest is not breaking house rules while she clearly says that she does not want to comply with anything is beyond me. My safety and comfort seem like none of their (ABB concerns). She even said that I cannot cancel just because I feel uncomfortable. What?! It is in the policy that specifies saying that which again is a lie. Another CS said that they can overrule policy since this happened multiple times before. Well, I can't help that there are terrible people out there. What am I supposed to do? Swallow it and just be *comfortable* anyway? It is nonsense.

I just sent a DM to them via Twitter. Let's see what happens.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

In this case it seems like the guest would be happy to cancel (according to her message). Since you both want to cancel, nobody should be penalized. I've had no problem cancelling reservations through Airbnb CS without penalty to anybody when both host and guest agree. I would call CS back and present the issue calmly as "my guest and I agree that we are not a good fit and would like a penalty-free cancellation." In my experience they then contact the guest to confirm, then the reservation disappears and nobody is penalized.

@Lisa723 I wish it was that easy and logical. Unfortunately, the way they are handling this case does not make any sense.

Have you told them that the guest agrees to this cancellation?

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

@Farah1I am new to this forum but not a new host. I am absolutely flabbergaster how you are being treated and it has really opened my eyes as to AIRBNB treats most of their hosts it seems. It was a rude awakening for me to get a call in the middle of the night from a CS suggesting I should APOLOGIZE to a very rude customer, who I had bent over backwards for. I'll be slowly spreading my five listings to other providers. Actually three of my listings are for my resort, which I anyway have on expedia, agoda and booking.com and we are nearly always full, so I was just trying them on AIRBNB for a bit of fun. So no big loss and certainly not worth getting harrased about. Both booking.com and agoda now also offer listings for homes like AIRBNB. So it's really strange, with them getting more competition that their reaction is to treat their hosts worse. 

I guess the community spirit has gone out the window in lieu of siding with TENANTS always. They really think those TENANTS will be loyal when they start finding the same listings on booking.com and agoda? We, the hosts, are the ones that have been loyal.

@Kanokkan0 it is very unfortunate and upsetting. One of my listings is on booking.com and I have been happy with them. I guess now I just need to put more focus into it and do the transition. Best wishes to you!

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Hi @Farah1,

This is not fair on you, BNB should not be putting you in this position and what is worst is you clearly have presented the evidence to back up your claims. I fully support you and hope that you get a satisfactory answer from the company.

Regards Shaun

@Shaun69 thank you, I appreciate your support. I really hope so. I will keep the forum updated.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Farah1 so sorry ---- don't be bullied by ABB - call and get another CS and stay really calm and ask them to read the message from the guest ..........what really matters here is how YOU present this whole thing. The guest sounds like a total idiot BUT you actually have a good claim here to have either ABB or guest cancel them and you get $80. DO NOT give them a refund, they are passive agressive and it is clear in the message above and trying to get you to cancel them. Either way, you will not end up good except to shut them down thru ABB and have them cancel the guest. Cause who would want someone like this in their place -- not me, for no amount of money. 

I personally do not do IB and this is one reason why!

one more thought - begin your conversation with ABB - hi, I really need your help cause I want to be a great host and I have a challenge here - I know you can help me sort this out.!!!! ( honey gets the bees)

good luck, and keep us posted. Stay very calm and try to keep emotions OUT of the dealing --- you don't want to cancel, BUT THE GUEST MUST AGREE TO YOUR HOUSE RULES, and if they will not as they admit in writing.....they must cancel or ABB cancel them for you. best to you, Clara

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

What did your message to her say before she wrote and said she wouldn’t comply with anything?