Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.50.59 AM.png

Just this morning, I got harassed by an Airbnb case manager/customer service. I reported this guest who made an instant book and openly said that she does not want to comply with anything. The case manager said that before booking all guests are being forced to agree with house rules, so if I want to cancel then I will be penalized. It is in the Airbnb policy that instant book host can cancel penalty-free for unlimited times if the guest is breaking house rules or host feels uncomfortable. The case manager said that I cannot do that anymore because I have done it a few times before (always because the guest is not following house rules and book instantly) and she said that this guest does not break any house rules. When I tried to explained what the guest has said, she just kept talking and not listening.

I feel so disappointed and hurt. After 5 years with Airbnb, this is how I am being treated by this platform that I always support.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.38 PM.png

This is on their Instant Book FAQ, but apparently is a lie.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.31 PM.png

Another lie they have on FAQ

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.56.54 PM.png

They clearly don't have my back.

I turned off the instant book and I am blocking all of my dates after the last existing reservation that I have. I cannot stand with a company with employees that bully others (their host, who actually on track to be superhost by the end of this week). I know that the company won't care about me because I am just a number for them and not a valued host or a human, but at least I don't need to contribute to a company like this.

I guess the 5 years that I am with Airbnb means nothing and this is the end of it.

@Lizzie

38 Replies 38

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 that is what they say/claim. In reality, that is not how they run their business.

@Farah1 Shame on them! 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Farah1 So what has happened??? Did ABB cancel her and give you your monies???

Best to you, Clara

Hi @Clara116 it ended up being canceled and ABB offered 50% of the payout minus cleaning fee. The longer story is posted below. Thank you for your support. 🙂

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hello all, I hope that all of you had a great weekend!

Thank you for all the suggestions and support, I really appreciate it.

After almost one week of going back and forth with Airbnb, getting harassed by their employee, and standing up for myself to get my rights, this is what ended up happen >>

I called ABB again and the CS who helped me said that he would do a one-time courtesy to cancel this reservation without penalty. However, I would not receive my payout despite the fact that my calendar was blocked for days and that the guest was the one who violated the Airbnb policy and house rules.

Please note that he mentioned (one-time courtesy) which is wrong if he is following Airbnb instant book policy. As seen on the screenshot that I put on the initial post, Airbnb claimed that IB hosts can cancel penalty-free anytime (unlimited times) if the guest does not follow house rules and/or make the host feel uncomfortable. I think that I have a strong reason here to feel uncomfortable hosting her on top of the fact that she is also breaking my house rules.

I was disappointed with the result because I have a strict cancellation policy.

I reached out to ABB via Twitter DM and they said that this case has been resolved. I told them that it was "solved" unfairly and that I wanted a new case manager to investigate the case.

A new case manager was assigned to my case and sent a follow-up email saying he would look into the case. Not long after that, we talked on the phone. He said that the solution for this is for me to turn off IB. Isn't it pathetic when the employee does not even recommend their own feature/service/product? I told him that I already turned off IB since this happened, but still want this case to be solved fairly. He called this a "personality conflict" as if I have a personality problem. I told him that if he wanted to call this a personality conflict, go ahead do that. However, it is pretty clear to me that what created the problem was not my personality, but the fact she violated Airbnb policy and also my house rules. So, is that acceptable? I also asked him why I did not get my payout and she got 100% of her money back while she was the one that was violating policy. He said that if she violates the house rules during the stay then I called ABB, then I would get my payout. This is totally not true. Some of you might remember when Airbnb pressured me to break my house rules and honored my guests who break my house rules and took my payout even though it was an ongoing reservation last year?

It looks like every CS has different reference/guidelines. There is no such thing as policy, and they just say whatever they needed to say in order to close the case even if the information is not necessarily true.

I asked him if these were my only options: must feel comfortable even though the guest does not want to follow house rules and risk my safety in order to get my payout OR be safe and ask for my rights, but will not get a payout.

After I asked him that, he said he would talk to his leadership. He came back with an email saying he was approved to send me 50% of the payout minus the cleaning fee. I accepted, but I told him that I am very concerned with the fact that Airbnb does not follow policy and disappointed with the way this case was handled.

@Farah1 huh. This is not the result that I felt you deserved. At least you will get some financial compensation and the uncooperative guest will have a financial incentive to maybe change her ways.

i am concerned now that she will be able to leave a review. Hopefully not. 

It also pains me that that you had to switch off IB. This will put your listing way down at the bottom. The only reason I have IB, is to keep

my listing higher. But I did count on some of the protections that were denied to you. I may have to rethink keeping it.

@Rebecca160 I agree with you and that is why I am still disappointed. When the reservation first being canceled by Airbnb, the guest received 100% of her money and my payout was supposed to be $0. So, I believe that this 50% comes out of Airbnb's pocket which I see it as honoring this guest despite her aggressive attitude and violation of the policy and house rules. It is a shame that the only solution is to turn off IB. Why have IB at all if it is actually this dangerous, right? However, my husband and I have agreed to do it this way because it is really not worth it to put ourselves, our home, and other guests that we host at risk. At some point, the extra reservation we get from IB just becomes nightmares and maybe having less (controlled) reservation is better for us.

I don't think she would be able to leave a review and I can't leave a review for her either which is totally fine with me.

I still have not heard back from ABB regarding the 50%, but I believe the CS is out of office and will be back tomorrow. So, let's see.

@Farah1

While I am glad you got something instead of nothing.........ABB is really hitting rock bottom when they provide a full refund to a guest that clearly messages "I do not agree to comply with anything" - what total morons.

Actions really speak louder than words. Siding with guests who clearly break rules and handing out money to people who lie, cheat and break rules says a lot about the type of company ABB is and what type of behavior they promote.

ABB is nothing more than a booking site....... I wish they'd just do their jobs according to rules and policies that THEY set up, stop trying to bully hosts or meddle and make stupid arbitrary decisions about MY HOME they have no business making in the first place.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Perhaps something the can be addressed at the next Q&A?

David