Airbnb accommodation privacy ‘breached’ through online ‘glitch’

Airbnb accommodation privacy ‘breached’ through online ‘glitch’

Your attention, please. The system crashed. Accounts with private mailboxes, discussions between hosts and guests unlocked and on view by all, including home addresses and codes of the smart locks of the properties.

https://shorttermrentalz.com/news/airbnb-privacy-data-glitch/

13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emily352 

In complex systems things can go wrong. today at airbnb, tomorrow at your bank.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emily352 @Emiel1  A few months ago I opened my calendar and found another host's calendar.  Oddly it was not only someone I knew, but someone whose name is very like both of yours, @Emilia42 :):):)  (Scout's honor I didn't even look at her prices, much less click through the bookings.)

Anyway it was a bit of a preview of coming attractions, I guess.  And as @Emiel1 says, a complex site with millions of entries can get a blip or a glitch now and again.

@Ann72 That was the weirdest thing! Sad to say, if it had happened in reverse, I probably would have had all your reservations and calendar memorized within the hour.  😁

@Emilia42  Literal LOL!  You're always one step ahead of me! 😂😂😂

@Emiel1 @Ann72 

Okay, girls, if you don’t have any objections, I’m going to change your prices and your calendar. 😉😎

@Emily352  As long as you raise them, go for it 😂

@Emilia42 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emily352 

Girls ? Oh dear, what happended to me...

@Ann72 

Okay, I’m raising your price to one million dollars per night, breakfast included. 😊

@Emily352  You go, girl 🤣🤣🤣

Andrew1201
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Same issue here! I checked my inbox on Thursday Sept 24th and saw another host's inbox w/ the left tab's message previews visible. It only reverted back to my own inbox once I signed out and then back in again. I couldn't view full messages, just their previews and their subject line.

Myself and others posted on Twitter to @AirbnbHelp about the severity of this @Airbnb security failure. @AirbnbHelp asked me to message them my email address but they never got back to me. Others on Twitter said that they were able to access confidential stuff like someone else's bank account info. which, if true, is pretty wild.

@AirbnbHelp requested I message them but didn't reply@AirbnbHelp requested I message them but didn't reply

- Andrew in Orlando
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks for heads up @Emily352 

@Emiel1 @Emilia42 

@Ann72 @Andrew1201 

Always a privacy breach somewhere & always traceable who is behind it.

@Emiel1  Don't start me on bank privacy breaches - just had that happen to me. Sigh.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emily352 @Emiel1 @Ann72 @Andrew1201 @Helen427 @Emilia42 

Hi everyone,

I think it might be helpful clarifying a few points.

There really was a technical issue on Thursday that resulted in a small subset of users inadvertently viewing limited amounts of information from other users’ accounts.

I'd like to assure you that the issue was quickly fixed and that the engineering and security teams are currently working very hard on implementing additional controls to ensure it does not happen again.

It's also important to mention that users with inadvertent access could not modify the other users’ data. We don't believe any personal information was misused and at no point was payment information accessible.

I hope this helps to clarify and if you have any other issues please do let me know and I can report back to the team.

Thanks,

Liv

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emily352 @Liv @Andrew1201 @Emiel1 @Ann72 

@Katie 

@Catherine-Powell 

@Liv @Quincy 

@Lizzie 

Would we please have official information about this matter & the Global outage that has occured over the last weekend?

Have  you ensure it's been reported to Investigative Authorities?

It seems very coincidental that two such serious Disruptions have occurred with AIRBNB Platform.

Would you please also follow up if there's been unlawful activity relating to SMS/ txt alert notifications as they are also not coming through as they should be.

The"Save" button on that page seems to have "disappeared".

It's times like this it's very important to communicate with customers & that AIRBNB shows leadership in helping report any Data Breaches.

Thanks in advance