Airbnb agreement considered a lease w Host = Landlord & Guest = Tenant for stays under 30 days?

Sandra378
Level 2
Texas, United States

Airbnb agreement considered a lease w Host = Landlord & Guest = Tenant for stays under 30 days?

I am hosting a Houston, Texas townhouse with antiquated bylaws. I started in February '17. Unfortunately, I had a "drunken disturbance" issue with my last guests and my immediate neighbors are in uproar and the property management sent me a note about fines and background checks for "tenants." I am fine with fines if deserved and have taken extra measures to prevent this from happening again. I need to respond soon to the management request for background check and drafted what is shown below. Has anyone run into the same issue and does anyone know the answer? I realize it varies by location and local laws. Thank you in advance. 

My Response: 

I am extremely apologetic for the noise on Saturday. I understand the placement of fines and will be held accountable should I or my guests cause excessive noise levels after reasonable hours. 

My guests who have been visiting are not tenants nor am I considered a landlord. I have extensively reviewed the by-laws and there is nothing that prohibits short term stays. I have vetted all visitors and, as mentioned, will strictly enforce a policy of considerate noise levels and common courtesy. Please know that your note and the concern of the neighbors is duly noted and I will do a better job of communicating to my guests. 
2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Many Condo association rules do not allow short term rentals and require anybody living at the property to be vetted, not sure exactly what you are asking.

David
Jeremy493
Level 2
Memphis, TN

Hi Sandra! I am going through this EXACT thing. What is the current status on your situation?