Airbnb allowing guests to override my check-in time

Brandon88
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb allowing guests to override my check-in time

I have my check-in time set to 5pm.
Why am I getting instant booking confirmations with check-in time before my set check-in time?
This is extremely problematic as I have already allowed a current guest to have late check-out.

check-in.png

check-in2.png

8 Replies 8
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Brandon88 You have a big problem...................when you have folks checking in on the same day and give a late check OUT ---- PROBLEM...

I don't know why or how Airbnb gave them 3-5 window..............most of us check our guests in after 3pm.  And 5 is kinda late! 

Most of us verify with the guests inadvance on check in time. And I personally NEVER give late check out unless I am 100% sure no guests are coming. IB instant Booking seems not to be your friend on this one.

I don't use it but most/many hosts do.

Somehow you might wanna work with your guests checking out and contact the guests confirming their check in time....some will say 3, 4 and show up at 8pm............wish I had the answer for you...... you can also put a time between guests - or no last minte bookings.

good luck and happy hosting, Clara

Brandon88
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I've had Instant Booking on since its inception. I've never had problems giving complimentary late check-outs or early check-ins if the guest asks ahead of time. I had left enough time for a 5pm check-in if a guest were to book. It is not reasonable for me to expect a guest be able to automatically instant book earlier than my set time without contacting me first. That isn't right for the host or the guest, and now of course I fear potential consequences in an upcoming review. What I want to know is how I can prevent a guest from instant booking a check-in hours before my set check-in time in the future? Putting a one day gap is ridiculous when my turnover time is only 3 hours.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brandon88

yes, guests can pick the time of their DESIRED check in time.

No, you don't have to check them in outside your check in window.

And yes now you have to message your guests about it, explain it, waste your and their time on it .... aaahh..

Airbnb should restrict it according to host's check in window and it was already discussed here on CC before, but it seems they just don't care .

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Brandon88 "Dear guestxxxx, so sorry to see that there has been a misunderstanding. My checkin time starts and 5pm and I'd be happy to have you at that time. If that doesn't work for you please contact ABB to move you to another space. Please lmk asap so that I can prepare for your arrival or not. Thank you very much!"

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Brandon88, may be you can write your guest something like” dear ...., I’m very happy that you chose my listing. See you after 5 PM on ... date”. So if he doesn’t agree he has to cancel his reservation. And you don’t need to explain your reasons why you can’t accommodate him early. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

This is airbnb creating potential problems for no reason.  If the guest wants a different check in window than what is offered on IB, then they should either find a place that has the check in window they want, or send a message to the host.  It should never be the responsibility of the host to reach out to guests and tell them their 'desired' check in window isn't available in order to head off the problem of people arriving hours early because airbnb's system misled them.

Janine190
Level 1
Coolbellup, Australia

Most of my guests have requested early check in, some I have been able to accommodate. I wish we could have an option to charge a early check in or late check out fee.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Janine190

You do have that option. You can add it to your description if it is a set price or reply with it when guests ask. You can then send them a payment request