Airbnb as a Business (banking) Account

Natalia70
Level 1
Boston, MA

Airbnb as a Business (banking) Account

So, I bought an old house. Yup, it needs major work.

I went through MassSave, a program designed to help you finance energy reduction fixes, like my heat. They approved my application, and so I just needed to get a bank to back it.

My loan has been denied because they're saying that my supplemental income is not recognized (until after a year when I get a tax statement-- my heat cannot withstand another winter so waiting until January is too risky) or unless I sign a contract (which Airbnb does not do). Additionally, they mentioned that I should have opened a business account to handle all things Airbnb.

Any thoughts or ideas as to how I should proceed???

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not being from the US (like many on here) I don't understand your reference to 'MassSave'.

Are you saying you bought a rundown place which you intend to live in and do up and also use it to rent out to BNB. However you can't get a loan because you have no proof of the BNB income and don't want to stay there during the winter because you have no heating ?

You can't expect a loan to be approved if you can't demonstrate your ability to make the repayments.

I guess you have a few options 

1. Live somewhere else until you can afford to do the place up

2. Get a second job to help you secure the loan

3. Ask family and friends to cover the cost of your heating and pay them back from your BNB income

Good luck

You are a 1099 contractor with Airbnb. This means you need to pay taxes on this income at the end of the year.  This is why the bank said after a year they may be able to include it - once you have a documented year of taxable income.   However, non-salaried money, from a bank perspective, is always more risky.  People who make tips for a living are often not able to claim that money unless they pay taxes on it and claim it on their returns.

They are telling you to set up a Business Account because that's what banks do.  It's clean and neat and tidy when it comes to keeping your personal income separate from your business (Airbnb) income. Frankly, if you are trying to use that money as a means to get financing for a home remodel, I would encourage you to do that too and run all the expenses for Airbnb through that account - especially if you need to record the income.  At a minimum, make sure you are using accounting software at home to keep these expenses identified separately from your household expenses.  

Brush up on your tax law - go back to the bank and talk to them.  They should be able to help you understand more clearly what you need to do to get the backing to use the grant monies you've been approved from the state (Mass Save is a Massachusetts only program so most of us here don't have such a thing). 

Good luck

Get a loan based on your other income.

David
Tracy70
Level 2
Springfield, MA

Apply for fuel assistance.

Or call 1-800-Joe-for-oil if you heat with oil for that venue anyways.

And I am pretty sure all you have to show for deposits is the AIRBNB $$$ going into your account, the IRS is not that fussy if you claim the $$$.