Airbnb (b: bed & b: breakfast)

Renato324
Level 3
Ngongotaha Valley, New Zealand

Airbnb (b: bed & b: breakfast)

We have been hosting for a while and also staid at various places as guests when travelling. In our opinion, as the Airbnb title indicates, the two b’s should stand for bed and breakfast. We provide a hearty breakfast with a variety of yummy goodies, like muesli, croissant, toast, fruit salad, yoghurt and poached eggs from our own chickens. Our guests always comment on the generous ’breakies’ we provide. Quite often we experience rather meagre and stingy breakfasts as guests. As my wife and I are from the hospitality industry, we know that there is not much in food cost, and the money is to be made in accommodation fees. If hosts try to safe on food, it looks cheap and lacks true generous hospitality spirit. This in the end reflects on us all as Airbnb hosts.

What are the opinions in this matter of all the Airbnb hosts?

kind regards

Renato and Renata

41 Replies 41
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Are you equally as offended when you are offered a real bed instead of an air bed??

every listing is different, I’d try not to get too worked up about it. 

Renato324
Level 3

Hi Kelly, we are not offended, as we do read the host’s details before we book. We just wanted to know what other hosts think about including or not including breakfast, that’s all.

Doesn’t the word ‘Air’ pertain to the fact that it’s an ‘online’ app, not to an air bed... 😉

cheers

@Renato324 No. The origin of Airbnb was in fact about air mattresses.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2015/10/31/where-did-airbnb-get-its-name/Q548q7zU2ilIRv...

We originally provided breakfast items but it took a lot of time and resulted in a lot of food waste. At our price point it wasn’t cost-effective so we stopped.

Renato324
Level 3

Ok, makes sense, thank you for your feedback.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Renato324  When I started in this business several years ago with the listing of a private room, I also thought breakfast would be appreciated and was part of the B&B.  As a guest I like a bit of a breakfast to start the day so I don't waste precious time looking for a diner or something.  I especially enjoy the breakfast when it is obvious some consideration and effort was put into the meal.  However, functionally, a simple bite to eat will work as well.  I don't think a "stingy" breakfast distracts from my enjoyment of the place I stay, but it doesn't add to it either.  I offer a similar breakfast as yours to my guests (without the lovely fresh eggs I'm afraid) but I like adding a few personal touches and almost all my guest both comment to me and make note of it in the review.  When someone is in my home, and it feels very intimate to have someone there, I want to be a gracious host and feeding people is part of that persona for me.

Renato324
Level 3

Hi Linda,

thank you very much for your kind feedback comments, really appreciate it. Sounds like your a lovely host with heart.

Kind regards

Renato

Benjamin836
Level 3
San Juan, TX

I offer chips, water and popcorn to my guests. No complaints at all. I usually leave 4 of each. Works for me.

Renato324
Level 3

Sounds fair enough, thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Renato324,

We've always provided fully equipped kitchens so guests can make their own meals.  This is based upon our personal travel experience.  We prefer to make most of our food, because we don't eat a lot of the common foods that other's may think are healthy or hearty, and don't feel it's appropriate to ask a host to make special purchases for our eating habits.  There are only a few dairy items that I can eat without digestive problems.  We really limit the amount of processed and high-sugar foods we eat.  So, that cuts out dairy milk, most canned foods, regular yogurt and non-aged cheese, most breads, pastries, cereals, jams/jellies, and popular breakfast meats.

A typical breakfast for us can be steel-cut oats, with Saigon cinnamon, chopped walnuts and sliced dates, and a hot beverage with a nut milk/creamer.  Or, a breakfast salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado, carrot, peppers, and eggs - boiled or scrambled in avocado or olive oil.  If we wanted to have a bread item, then it'd be arepas, which have only a few ingredients.  Or, we may feel like having smoothies with fresh fruits, watercress, grass-fed yogurt, flaxseed, cacao and nuts.

We'd rather bring or buy our own groceries (great way to see the types of food items that are available locally), and prepare the meals on our own schedule without feeling self-conscious that we're being to finicky.

Renato324
Level 3

Sounds great. In the end for a great hosting outcome, it will be probably all about good host descriptions and in-depth communication between a booked guest and host.

Our guests also have the option to cook in our kitchen, which so far hasn’t been happening much, as we have mainly weekend holiday guests who prefer to visit Rotorua’s many restaurants.

Thank you for your detailed feedback, really appreciate it.

Kind regards 

Renato

First of all, what you describe, @Debra300 , sounds very yummy even without specifying diet restrictions!  I wonder how you apply these restrictions when eating local food in other cultures.  Just curious...

Renato324
Level 3

When our guests arrive and show them around our place, (we live on country side) we usually ask what time they would like breakfast and if they have any food allergies. Guests with specific food restrictions or cultural preferences always bought along their own food items, as we also provide a kitchen for them to use. So far never had any issues.

As I am a cookery lecturer, I make my own breads and Croissants. My wife makes her own, natural Muesli mix and jams from our fruit trees. The eggs are from our own chickens. Our guests always comment on the home-made and unprocessed food items provided. They are also welcome to help them self’s from our vegetable garden if they make their own dinner.

I guess, we  are fortunate having our own providence around the home and garden.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Linda108,

As our travel experiences continue, we've found that eating local food has evolved more into consuming the locally sourced produce (and sometimes seafood, beer and wine) that we have prepared for ourselves.  We eagerly go to local markets and grocery stores to see what's available.  To further enhance our experience of local culture, we will also eat a few times at spots that are recommended by or we see are heavily attended by locals.  These are typically casual/neighborhood restaurants, food trucks, or street vendors.  The food has to be intriguing, because I am not going to eat something that I don't think is worth the experience.  Fortunately, being also from California, I've had previous opportunities to eat most of the foods that I've seen in the 30 countries that I've visited (chicken feet, crickets, alligator, udon soup, pelau, menudo, boudin, pansit, paella, escargot, etc.).  Usually, the memories of local foods come back home with me around my waistline, and dissipate as I return to my normal eating habits.

We have become "those" type of travelers.  We want things that many hosts don't have or want to offer.  In my experience, vacation rental kitchens are poorly equipped.  Often the kitchen gear is sparse and of low quality.  Plus, I am not going to use anything that's been opened and left in the fridge.  I am no longer fashionable, and don't travel with a large selection of clothing and shoes.  So, I have space in my one piece of checked luggage to carry a 12 inch everyday pan, a 9 inch chef's skillet, a traveling knife set, a spatula, a manual espresso maker, a rechargeable frother, a veggie peeler, a mini-grater, liquids/semi-solids that are more than 3 oz./100 ml., such as a 1 quart/946 ml. nut milk and 1 pint/473 ml. nut creamer,  4 oz./118 ml. avocado oil, travel size tamari/coconut aminos & mirin, and larger than travel size body wash, toothpaste, and lotion. I will also bring foods that we like, but may not want to purchase while away from home.  That would include coffee, tea, dried herbs/seasonings, and baggies of oats, nuts, dates, legumes, rice, noodles.

Debra300_0-1627152987499.jpeg   

Debra300_1-1627153037161.jpeg

Debra300_3-1627154077392.jpeg

Debra300_5-1627155626833.jpeg

Debra300_6-1627155779023.jpeg

Renato324
Level 3

Hi there, yes I agree, some kitchen have cheap and second hand equipment provided, which is ok, it can still be used. But once again it reflects budget and lacks genuine care for hospitality.

Thank you  for your detailed feedback.