Airbnb bullying hosts and failing to conduct fair and transparent processes

Shelley220
Level 2
Tyagarah, Australia

Airbnb bullying hosts and failing to conduct fair and transparent processes

Hi,

We have just had  our listing of 13 years cancelled.  We have been removed from the Airbnb community for failing to meet their safety standards!!! We however have not been told what the complaint was or what the safety standard was that we breached.  We had two young girls staying at our property.  Their booking was for 2 people and they brought friends along and an extra mattress.  They moved furniture on the property and left lights, fans and heaters on all day and night while they were not there.  WE live in a sub tropical location so there was no need for heaters.  When we asked them about the extra guests and asked if we could inspect the property just to make sure and subsequently asked them to remove the extra guests they complained. While we were doing the inspection we noticed that they had broken a blind. We raised this with them and we are now de listed.  13 years of excellent ratings seem to mean nothing to Airbnb.  They refuse to speak to us and have just cut us off.  Disgraceful way to behave.  Every business must have a fair dispute resolution process. Airbnb does not.  They say that they reviewed all the relevant documentation.  This is a complete nonsense, there was no documentation.  Just two young very badly behaved young ladies that have been allowed to manipulate the system.  Airbnb are bullies.

26 Replies 26

thanks the camera has a sock over it that has been on it for years.  the guests were asked to turn all the lights and heaters off and were then told that we would go in and do it if it happened again

Denise585
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

In order to have your account closed after long time on site a  serious alligation has to be made and in that case you breached the rules by invading personal space. Thats something damaging Airbnb reputation so they terminate you right away.  And if you want to sue someone-be careful not to get in trouble with law cos this would turn against you. And even if you didnt break any law Airbnb can terminate you whenever they want to. Thats in your contract.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Shelley220 if you had security cameras, particularly interior cameras, that were not disclosed in your Airbnb listing that's enough to get your listing removed. It doesn't matter whether they were covered with a sock or even turned off. (Airbnb has had some terrible publicity around listings with hidden cameras.) Entering the space without guests' permission might also be enough. As others have said it would have been better to just have these guests removed at the first instance of rule-breaking-- hindsight being 20/20, of course. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you are reinstated. Please keep us posted; lots of hosts will want to know the outcome.

Drew2303
Level 1
Lewes, DE

I have extolled the virtues of Airbnb support until recently. So, my disappointment in their current treatment of me is bitter, indeed. Apparently, a guest has made a complaint against me, but Airbnb kicked my account under some rug, and disappeared me. The stonewalling I’ve encountered has frustrated and angered me. Since I’ve no idea what I’m facing, I finally had to engage an attorney. The payment for the stay was taken from my account without my permission, and they refuse to clarify their position, or mine. Meanwhile, I’m facing some unspecified complaint with no clarity forthcoming in spite of myriad calls and messages. So, This super host finds himself feeling slandered, robbed, and hung out to dry. Thanks, Airbnb!

couldnt agree more awful experience with customer service

Snowtrip0
Level 2
Whistler, Canada

Too bad!

AirBnB is trying too hard to please the travellers inside of innocent home hosts! 
Bad guest give one star review to protect themselves. They know AirBnB will support them. 

@Snowtrip0  In what way do you think guests leaving a 1* review protects themselves? I can't see how it does that. All it is is vengeance.

i had a similar thing happen and they took down the review but thousands in damage airbnb refused to pay. isnt there an executive who cares about owners i reached out to several on linkd in

Snowtrip0
Level 2
Whistler, Canada

I don’t understand how bad should a host be to earn a one start review. Before that review, we were 4.8, naw they mad it 4.07, and listing is off. I don’t know how that 4.07 came as well. How does one  low review affect the final? I cannot get the same number . I asked website, they said will look at it , but nothing yet. And they say even host feel the review is not honest, they still cannot do anything. 

@Snowtrip0  It's simple math. Only the Overall rating is counted, which is a separate rating the guests leave, not an average of the category ratings.

You add up the number of each star rating and divide by the number of reviews.

Let's say you had 20 reviews, 15 of them 5*, 5 of them 4*.

15x5=75 plus 5x4=20 equals 95.

95 divided by 20 reviews= 4.75 rating.

Jack1617
Level 3
Vail, CO

Welcome to the current state of Airbnb - a very inhumane platform.

Hello Anyone had an experience horrible resolution process? I thought youall might be concerned and interested in hearing of the atrocious customer service I have received as a host and owner. I have a 5 star rating with both VRBO and AIRBNB. I recently had to file a claim for two renters that completely violated the house rules, one went so far as to have an extended family park an RV, yes an RV, at my million $ home with his extended family in it, leading to damage internally at the house and other problems which I have asked to be compensated for. I have had 11 different people contact me  with no resolution ofther than to delay delay and delay. Not sure if this is a corporate strategy for hoping owners will just give up. I dont give up and I wont until I get the compensation Im due for damage.  The process for Resolution is completely broken. I can share all the details. You should know whats going on from a hosts perspective. The call centers and multiple teams approach leads to each team not knowing what each other are saying and the inconsistincies in what one person knows and communicates versus another is incredible, so many inconsistencies. As a 5 star owner with AIRBNB and Premier host for VRBO I have spent over 3 weeks now attempting to resolve the issue only to have multiple people tell me complete different and contradictory things during the past few weeks. Im certain other owners have experienced the same. Its been the worst customer service experience of my life. Im hoping someone can help as Im now owed thousands in compensation for damage done and costs incurred to fix the damage. Here is in personal cell 508-524-0778 and email kcapalbo@newleafco.com Ive reached out to executive with no reponse. I will be reaching out to a friend of mine who is a writer for Forbes and all local news station in boston to share this story and Martha Coaley Mass attorney generals to see if I cant get a senior executive to respond and come up with a fair resolution. thank you. any thoughts greatly appreciated.