Airbnb called me trying to re-house a party

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb called me trying to re-house a party

I was without my phone for about half hour and came back to several missed phone calls from Airbnb. I freaked out thinking something was terribly wrong. They called almost immediately and told me they were calling on behalf of a guest to help them book. Right away I got suspicious and asked why this guest needed help with the reservation and why was this so urgent. To make a long story short, this person was just canceled by another host because the host realized they were planning on having a party and Airbnb was calling around to see who would take them. First off, they were not upfront with me as to why this guest was being rehoused. It took a lot of questions to get to the bottom of it and CS was being very vague. Second of all, my initial reaction was to trust Airbnb. If they’re calling and asking me on someone’s behalf, this must be a good reservation. They would not knowingly give me a house party reservation, not at least after everything that happened, I thought. I only got suspicious because in the past when I canceled guess I knew Airbnb was dumping them on another unsuspecting host. I would think most hosts would trust Airbnb in this situation and they are exploiting that. Their persistence and devotion to accommodating the guest was fascinating. This person was dialing me for a good half hour nonstop until I answered. I of coursed drilled the rep about the entire notion of rehousing a known party. I was told that as long as both sides are ok with it being a party, airbnb no problem with it. I did see a blurb about that in the announcement. How does the idea of party houses being banned goes with the idea of parties being ok if the host is ok with them? I assumed at the time that blurb was more about events- weddings, etc but apparently that blurb was all about nothing changing with the way business would be done. Furthermore, Airbnb was not upfront with me about this being a party at all, so my agreement to host this guest would have been based on deception. Do they really make enough money on these reservations to offset the negative publicity and the cost of repairs of host houses?

40 Replies 40
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  This is another one???  Not the one they asked you to take so he could "have a good time"? 

This is absolutely unbelievable and flies in the face of everything they have been saying. They've always been underhanded and full of feel good rhetoric but now they are just blatantly, publicly lying. Someone needs to call them out on this loudly in the major media. Why does no one ever do a hardball interview with Brian Chesky? Why does no one get him in to an interview and ask the questions that will make him squirm and for which he will have no legitimate answer?

that time they were asking me for a refund so they can move them to another Airbnb (after the guests was repeatedly informed of my rules and realized the night will not end well for them). Based on that conversation I figured out that tables turned and I was the lucky recipient of the booking after another host cancelled them in this situation. Nothing has changed. All the announcements are fluff. And I do not think Brian Chesky cares. I do not think anything makes him squirm.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Inna22 

Now do you believe me, that Chesky's “Manana Manifesto" was all just Bla Bla Bla Bla, Airbnb is starting to make me feel sick.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Inna22 @Sarah977 @Airbnb 

Rehousing evicted guests has been standard policy for years, and is an absolute scandal that's going to explode in Airbnb's face one of these days - probably sooner rather than later - and sadly, will undoubtedly come as a result of yet another round of senseless tragedies. I've had several hosts tell me that after their homes were trashed and neighbours terrorised by marauding party-animal guests (who Airbnb had called the host and expressly asked them to house), they later discovered that the guests had been thrown out by their original hosts - but Airbnb had neglected to inform them of the guests' eviction status, citing "last minute cancellation by host" instead). That's gross negligence and failure to a uphold a duty of care to both service users and providers, right there. Not to mention the moral and ethical bankruptcy of it all..

The casual cynical disregard this company continues to display for the safety and security of hosts, guests and neighbours alike, is utterly gobsmacking to behold. Playing the responsible adult all over the media with their "zero tolerance" and "we'll instantly remove bad actors" bullsh*t, while at the very same time, acting like a feckless delinquent adolescent behind the scenes, deceptively and surreptitiously enabling and facilitating known rule-breakers/troublemakers/criminals to infiltrate host homes - regardless of the potential consequences to life or limb - is, in high definition, the exact MO of this company. Street angel, house devil.

Unfortunately, many hosts still flatly refuse to countenance the mountain of evidence to confirm that Airbnb is routinely engaged in such duplicity and skullduggery, and rush to the company's defense every time, with their "Oh Airbnb's been wonderful to me, and the **bleep** hasn't landed on my doorstep yet, so I'm just gonna quickly turn a blind eye to all that abusive and exploitative treatment of my fellow hosts over there". And therein lies the crux of the matter, and the crucial factor that enables Airbnb to continue getting away with all that they get away with, and become ever-more controlling and oppressive - everyone's too busy covering their own arses and looking out for heir own individualistic interests, to stand together and fight for fair, just and equitable treatment for all.

The truth is though - if you're a host with less than 50-100 listings on the platform now, Airbnb doesn't give a flying fig about you either - they want you gone.  You're way too high maintenance, for way too low a return. (..and let's face it, despite all the risible "valued host community" rhetoric, their contempt and disdain for their small, independent hosts is abundantly clear, as evidenced by the raft of biased, discriminatory and skewed policies they hamstring us with on a daily basis) Only problem is though, whether they like it or not, they're kinda stuck with us now, if only until immediately after the big boys cash out on IPO day - they're selling their brand image on us and using us as a Trojan horse in their regulatory battles worldwide, so they have no other option but to suffer us for now.

Meanwhile, they're attempting to pawn us (and the general public) off with self-serving global media announcements on all these ground-breaking new safety initiatives they've supposedly introduced, with immediate effect, (in reality - re-hashed policy after re-hashed policy, almost all of it, stuff they told us they were already doing to "protect" us, and keep our communities safe). We've been bombarded with rambling, convoluted Airbnb-speak emails and endless same-same CC threads from them for at least a month now (on which they subsequently neglect to engage or directly address various questions from confused members seeking clarification) - and we're still none the wiser as to exactly what actions the company is taking to halt the scourge of anti-social, criminal and scamming guests (and hosts) on its platform. In true Airbnb fashion, it's all so very vague, isn't it?

What we do know for sure - and the irrefutable evidence is all over every Airbnb- and STR-related blog, group and forum on the internet, in posts just like Inna's, from pissed-off hosts who continue to bear the brunt of Airbnb's failed and abusive policies, in relation to scamming and partying guests  - is that, in the almost 2 months since the Orinda tragedies and the Vice scamming article, precisely nothing  has changed. No improvements or changes of any substance whatsoever have been made. None.

Hosts are no more safe or protected now than they ever were, and farcically, the only real efforts we've seen Airbnb put into anything at all since their crisis control campaign kicked off, has been in verifying small, independent hosts - many of whom are long-term hosts with exemplary track records, who had already been ID Verified by the company anyway. Right. Because your regular homesharer/small host is the exact demographic most likely to be involved in shooting guests, running illegal Airbnb empires out of a lock-up down some back-street alley, or hitting the 'net and organising a monster Airbnb mansion rave-up for 300 of their closest paying friends, aren't they?? A blatant smoke and mirrors exercise, if ever there was one.

All this fancy super-duper new AI risk-assessment and prevention technology that Airbnb has been at great pains to assure us will weed out the rogues and villains, really doesn't appear to be doing the job it was (allegedly) designed for. And again, its hosts who are being forced to suffer the consequences of the company's clear and open policy of putting the spoils of their sugar daddy investors, over and above the safety and security of hosts, guests, and the communities in which they operate, alike. Every d*mn time.

Stay safe tonight, everyone. Take whatever steps necessary to protect yourselves and your homes, because you can never rely on Airbnb to have your back in a true emergency, and if it all goes t*ts up, you're most likely on your own. So always have your own safety measures and contingency plans in place, just in case. And let's hope we won't all be reading news of even more senseless fatalities at Airbnb parties, by morning.

***Journos and reporters... are you taking note?? Airbnb's certainly not hearing us, but it's very clear that you guys are listening now, and that can only be a good thing. Regardless of whatever disingenuous, gung-ho, trippy PR nonsense you're been fed by the company's slick and powerful publicity machine... the hundreds of thousands of distressed and exasperated comments from shafted, cheated and demoralised hosts (and guests) that you can access here in the Community Centre and across all social media, are only the tip of the iceberg. They are, however, a genuine and authentic snapshot of the real truth  of the abusive, exploitative and downright unsafe policies and practices that Airbnb is still  compelling its hosts to operate under, solely for the further enrichment of their mega-wealthy VC backers (a full two months after their grandstanding "party house ban" global media announcements, and on New Year's Eve too - the most dangerous, most risky, most stressful hosting night of the year). Keep looking. Keep digging. Keep reporting. Plenty to see here.

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

Susan17 -you’re good! Thanks for putting it all into the right words!

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Inna22

This is disgusting! Not surprising, sadly, but disgusting.

I've never had CX contact me to rehouse a guest. I have some questions about this, just in case the same situation arises for me in future:

1. When CX contacted you, did they somehow send you a link to the guest's profile, or did they want you to accept the reservation blindly?

2. How did you get CX to admit the purpose of the reservation?

3. When you did discover the purpose, what did CX say when you told them that you don't allow parties?

4. You say the agent was being "vague". Did they outright lie to begin with?

Good job on flagging this ahead of time, and not getting stuck with the damage after the fact. It's bad enough that hosts have to protect themselves from guests with nefarious intentions, but we're all at risk when the company is aiding and abetting it.

Makes you wonder who the unfortunate host is that did trust the company and is now dealing with the fallout today...

Edited to add: Apologies, I had a look at your listings after writing my original questions...all of which still apply, except for #4.

I see all of your 11 listings state that parties and events ARE allowed, so I'm a little confused as to why you've refused the booking? Is it just specific types of parties that you're willing to host and this one didn't meet your criteria?

@Jennifer1421 all great questions. I did not want to write a mile long post initially and did not know how many details others would want.

1. As I was talking to the CS, the guest messaged me directly and CS referenced that the message was related to the call. The guest was new, no reviews and asked me if it was ok to play loud music after midnight. 

2. I am a very persistent person. I asked all sorts of questions every possible way. I do not think they were prepared to be bombarded like this. At first they were just saying "something changed". When I saw the message about loud music, i knew what was up. It would be strange for a potential guest to write "hi, can I play music" and nothing else unless they were kicked out specifically for that. 

4. They avoided answering direct questions about guest's purpose for stay and reason for being rehoused. After it was established this would have been a party, they just kept saying that parties are ok if hosts are ok with them. I kept asking how does that go with party houses being banned but I was mostly talking to myself at that point.

Now to your question about party button. My core business is bachelor/bachelorette parties or wedding parties. They travel from out of town, stay for several days. They do not party IN my house. They may have drinks before going out, eat meals together, decorate but they do not invite others, always clean up and almost always have older adults with them (moms, uncles, etc). This is an event of a lifetime and they are not here to throw one nighter and move on to another. After Orinda, I turned that button off hoping that house party people will not approach me and bachelor/bachelorette party people will not use that filter because they are a party in a different sense of the word. In the following three weeks I did not receive a SINGLE reservation. So yes, I think the fault is partially on me and I do understand that this battle against house parties comes with the territory. However I have my house rules in multiple parts of the listing (quite hours, ID check, counter installed) and out of all people I would expect CS rep to read and respect it.

@Inna22Thanks for your reply.

I now understand why you have the "party" filter on, now. Like CX, I didn't read your listings, just looked at the "Rules" sections - my bad! I suppose from their end, they just used the party filter...

So, from the sounds of it, if the guest hadn't messaged you about the loud music, you may well have ended up with them (also if you weren't persistent in your questioning), and a miserable clean up today. Further, since you allow "parties" (though not in the more obvious sense of the word), you wouldn't have had any recourse if this guest had slipped by you, caused damage and noise complaints from neighbours, since (per the CX rep) you're considered "ok with parties". What a convoluted mess! The new policy releases seem more and more to be an awful lot of sleight of hand PR, without any thought given to their execution.

Makes me curious as to whether you'd be facing removal today if the CX had slipped this guest by you, and a neighbour called in a noise complaint using the new "Neighbour Support Tool" (or whatever it's called). That's just too scary to contemplate!

@Jennifer1421 all great points. This is such a difficult position for me. Perhaps that button should be removed altogether. It is right like a red flag to a bull. My good guess will continue booking and the bad kind never claim they were allowed in. My welcome message also states all of my rules, they are in my house book and posted on the wall. They also come up in things to knowledge when you book. At the end of the day, the only people who can miss them are those who intended to break them regardless

@Inna22  "Parties" is such an all-inclusive term that they really should create filters that differentiate. A party could be a child's birthday party with 6 children and their parents invited, a quiet dinner party for 6 responsible adults sharing good food, wine, and some quiet background music, wedding or bachelor/bachlorette party as you host, or a house full of out-of-control teenagers with zero conciousness about respecting the home and not disturbing the neighbors.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

re. your 'core business'.

Aren't there agencies who specialize in parties of this kind that you could sign up to?

An agency like this of course will have insurance, etc. 

Every year I get quite a number of requests for this type party, (even though my House Rules has ticked icon'No Parties or Events.'). -- Most try to talk me round with assurance how responsible they will be,... I've never accepted any of them. But then again, I only have one property, my home, so I'd never even contemplate it. 

My insurance covers bachelor/bachelorette parties. They are not different from any other stay. I have not heard of agencies organizing those. In any case, this is not about getting extra business (although that is always something I would want). I like @Sarah977  suggestion. I just don’t know how to Differentiate  the two. One way is to deal harshly with anyone who is reported as planning a party. Word will spread fast if they start being kicked off the platform and charged fines. Right now they are encouraged 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Inna22@Cormac0@Sarah977 and @Susan17,

Thanks for highlighting this Inna, I'm so sorry you have had quite a month of it. I want you and others to know I have just flagged and sent over your post to a colleague on my in our Support Team to look into this further.

I'm obviously only going by the information you have put in your message here, but my initial question would be to access exactly what kind of gathering  is being 'rehoused' here. As we know not all larger group bookings are banned from the site, so potentially there just needs to be more clarity in this instance, but as I say I don't know the details.

Once again, I'll continue to follow into this and hopefully we can clarify the matter.

Thanks,

Lizzie

P.S - wow, Susan, you have certainly had you Weetabix this morning! 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

You know me, @Lizzie -- just telling it how I see it. And as someone who's had my own home thrashed and destroyed on more than one occasion, and was left high and dry by Airbnb in the aftermath, at huge cost to myself (and indeed, had Airbnb call to ask me to rehouse guests who had thrown out by their previous hosts), you can be sure this is a topic I take particular interest in. 

However, if anyone feels that anything I've written above (or on any other threads on this forum) is inaccurate or untrue, in any way, I'll be more than happy for the admins to remove it (as long as they have evidence to support their claims, of course!) 😉