Airbnb canceling reservation without speaking to host

Az2
Level 3
Huntington Beach, CA

Airbnb canceling reservation without speaking to host

So I had a guest reserved all weekend, one of the biggest reservations of this month. Later when I checked his profile I saw that guy obviosly had some problems. He complained about people who rented their apartments and lived in basement. Which does not make any sense to me, why to rent a place if you don't like circumstances in first place. Anyways, he checks in sends me pics of our bathroom firstly complaining that it is not clean. Then when I offer to send the cleaners he says that it is not the issue of cleanliness and it is more issue of wear and tear and asking for his money back (I have strict refund policy) and threatening me with complaining to city and apartment complex, being rude saying he will get his money anyways. I call airbnb speak to case manager who advises not to open case and wait for guest to make a complain to which I agree (big mistake), later I understood that opening case is a time consuming for case managers and they are not quite happy to do this. Anyways while driving home from work I get the cancelation by host. Full refund to guest. And when I call the manager, he responds saying it is counted as canceled by guest because of cleanliness issue. I tell him that guest mentioned that the issue is not cleanliness to which I get ignored. 

Basically I realize 3 things, 1. Complaining to twitter does not make much sense as the resend case back to case managers (who are 3rd party mostly) and are interested in closing cases as soon as possible. 2.  That airbnb will back up guests in 95% of cases with or without any reason and 3. Strict cancelation is not a guarantee of you to be paid. 

What does community think about this?

3 Replies 3
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Az2 I have had some success with strict - guest coming in 3 weeks claimed they were ill and wanted 100%, only got 50% per policy even after CS msg. And they were airbnbs hosts so you'd figure they would understand policy !

With so many properties I think you may be way over exposed to the madness that is Airbnb. They have completely screwed up pricing search on website for the last month, everything is listed by base price which seems to be becoming a race to the bottom out of season.

Am also told they are heavily pushing plus, which is diverting customers as well.

Az2
Level 3
Huntington Beach, CA

I agree Plus thing is out of control.

My biggest concern with plus is that it would cost $$ to improve my unit, and you could drop out if avg drops below 4.8. Not clear if they are currently enforcing that, but you'd be a slave to the review system.

Airbnb needs to step back and figure out how to make its tangled mess of pricing, superhost and plus work properly.

I had thought about moving another rental into Airbnb, but every month it just gets worse. Almost every property in Seattle shows as less than $60 on map since search no longer inc cleaning fee etc, so basically you have to undercut that to get booking. I earn more on the the long term rental for no work so why bother.