Airbnb cancelled reservation, first time this has happened

Airbnb cancelled reservation, first time this has happened

I received an email from Airbnb today telling me that they've cancelled one of my reservations. This was the main part:

"Unfortunately, we’ve received quality assurance information regarding this guest and we’re no longer able to support them as a member of our Airbnb community. Your calendar should now be open for the affected dates."

The email then just gave the details such as the dates and the name and said my calendar was now opened up for those dates. Has anyone ever had this happen before? About an hour later, I received a reservation request from a different platform from the same guest for the same dates. I asked him why was his reservation cancelled and he said he didn't know, that airbnb locked him out of his account. I declined the reservation and blocked him. Since knowing airbnb almost always sides with guests, I had a feeling it was something bad for them to do this. 

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Holly142 

This guest has been disqualified for some reason by Airbnb. It happens sometimes.

@Holly142  Every now and then, Airbnb publicly reveals that it's banned users who were found to be active in online hate groups, such as white supremacists. But it's more common that they delete an account that's been directly reported for other reasons - sexual misconduct, payment fraud, criminal activity, etc. For legal reasons, they don't disclose the reasons to other members, so it will probably remain a mystery. But I think you made the right call by blocking this person. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Holly142 

This topic has come up several times before.

If you search “reservations canceled by Airbnb” you will find several threads.

As far as I know, no one has yet received a detailed explanation.

In a few cases the reservations were canceled after the guests already checked in! Still no specific reason was offered by Airbnb.

I guess we can only hope that they know what they are doing…

Benjamin836
Level 3
San Juan, TX

I received one too about 2 weeks ago. Airbnb is just looking after us since the guests probably had bad reviews or major incidents. 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

tenho o mesmo pensamente o airbnb não vai prejudicar os host @Loni56 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Considering Airbnb is usually so accommodating to the most abusive and insane guests and how they can be sued for just breathing in the present runaway American society this type of initiative should be applauded.

That's why it caught my attention, since we all know how airbnb is with their guests. I'm certainly not mad about it, it's just a first for me in 6 years. Even though I don't know the details, it was enough to make me not accept his reservation on the other platform either. 

Shirley59
Level 2
Otorohanga, New Zealand

Good for you. Airbnb are so good, I would go with their decision every time 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Till-and-Jutta0 thanks for the refresher on background ckecks.

That is interesting. I wonder if it was from a background check. This reservation didn't start till Oct 30th, so 35 days out.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Airbnb now does some background checks for pedophile offenders through the national registry site. The other big issue is Money collection problems and Identity fraud.

Susan
Huseyin2
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Hello Airbnb community, today out of the blue, with no prior notification or email Airbnb cancelled all my reservations on two listings. Just two days prior to this, I received my 6th Superhost badge. I have called Airbnb to ask why they cancelle dall my reservations. 4 different call centre rep’s were all unable to find the cause. Now the 4th told me he raised a ticket to the compliance team but in the meantime all my guests are sending me emails to ask why their reservations got cancelled and I’m really worried that by the time the Compliance team gets back to me, I’ll have lost all those reservations even if it was just a mistake on Airbnb’s side. What should I do? 

Cindy1367
Level 1
Rogersville, MO

We had our reservation cancelled this morning and shut out of our account.  I was able to reach the host and he told me that he had received the message that you previously received.  I called Airbnb and apparently, someone had been using our profile (like hacking into Facebook) and had caused issues with my account.  Within an hour, they reset my account, I reset my password, and booked the cabin again.  The host told me this has happened to him before and was very understanding.  There are bad people out there posing as good ones.  Your customer was being honest with you.  We didn't know why we were cancelled until the host told us.  I am glad he did because it gave us a chance to straighten it out.  We have been with Airbnb for 12 years and NEVER had an issue until now.  There are so many scammers out there.