Airbnb commission increase

Marilena7
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Airbnb commission increase

Just received info by the platform announcing that airbnb commission will be exclusively charged to the host as of 1/9/2020 and will be 15%!!! This immediately means increase of expenses and decrease of income for all hosts. The suggested by airbnb price for my apartment is 50€ during these difficult Covid-19 times. Doing the calculation of the 15% commission +  the VAT (24%) + Local tax (15%)+ Cleaning, water, power expenses = Not worth while!! Especially for superhosts that go the extra mile to make the difference. What a dissappointment to be forced to leave the platform!!! 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Marilena7 If they have transferred the fee from the guest to the host then it will make no difference to your price or profitability or competitiveness. You just increase your rates by the correct percentage and then your net revenue will be the same. The guest will not pay more as they will no longer have a service fee.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Marilena7 

Thank You for the headsup. Could You post a screenshot of the message You've got? We in Germany didn't get this information so far.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Marilena7,

I pay the same commission to Booking.com and Expedia.com, and I have to pay for my own credit card processing.  I also charge the appropriate taxes which the guest pays.  Just as @Mike-And-Jane0 stated, my rates on these platforms are reflective of this, and the cost to the guest is about the same as what they'd currently pay on Airbnb with their service fee and occupancy tax collection.

I don't foresee Airbnb giving up the payment processing and tax collection, because it's a way for them to hold onto the funds, even if their is a cancellation.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

2. Host-only fee

The host-only fee structure was created so that hotels and other hospitality businesses have more control over the final price paid by guests. The host-only fee ranges from 14% to 20% (plus 2% for listings that have a Super Strict cancellation policy) and is the required fee structure for hotels and some other categories of hospitality business. The fee for hosts operating listings located in Mainland China is 10%. Software-connected property managers can choose between a host-only fee or shared host and guest fee by going to the Service fee tab in Payments & Payouts.